Your usual nonbench rifle shooting position?

Newbie question.

EXCLUDING any form of benched position, which rifle shooting position do you favor, and is it the same one that gives your most accurate results?

I like sitting on the ground, with support leg bent and that foot flat on the ground, nonshooting arm’s tricep steadied by the bent knee. Kneeling position is less stable for me, and standing less than that. I have not tried shooting while prone.

Photos on this site show a lot of sitting at a bench, and I wonder if that reflects what most people usually do.

I mostly shoot unsupported while sitting on my portable hunting stool or a lawn chair. Sometimes I'll rest my elbow on my knee for a steadier hold. This is my mostly used position when I hunt. It's also very comfortable sitting down.
I also shoot a lot standing up and from the kneeling position. I'm embarrassed to say when was the last time I shot prone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mycapt65
Ooooo....depends on what I'm doing?😅
Plinking I can stand or squat.
Hunting is standing or posted up( depends on area)
Today with this wind and I was just testing wind resistance/zeroing. So I was standing, then after a while I leaned against the back of my car(wind from front of car), after that I squared down and leaned back against the bumper.
My accuracy got better as I dealt with the situation and the last position I used helped the most(constant 25-30mph winds with 55-60 gust)
Was able to hit what I was aiming at, iron sights, ruger impact max elite. 22 @ 50 yards

20230511_095840.jpg

Reactions: Moog
Interesting question...I'm probably different than most but it works for me. In 2010 I started shooting airguns almost on a daily basis...I had a Theoben SLR 98 long .22 (bought new) and just couldn't shoot it often enough...such fun and satisfaction...just set in a chair resting left elbow on crossed left knee shooting 7 shot groups, entire mag usually, year after year...until one day I discovered that I could REAILLY shoot this gun! Penny size groups and smaller were the norm (25y)...I shot that gun like that almost exclusively for seven years...I realized springers were supposed to be difficult to shoot well but I sure mastered that one...same sitting in chair position...in 2017 I bought an FX Wild Cat .25 PCP and I was astonished how well I could shoot that one with better trigger and no recoil...that's been almost 6 years ago...I prefere shooting from that position simply because it's comfortable routine and accurate...moved targets out to 30yards and rarely shot benched...I won't go so far as saying I can shoot sitting as well as benched but on a good day with the right gun and trigger (veteran and Bobcat) I can approach it....With those two gun dime sized groups (and smaller)
20230505_143959.jpg
20230417_150614.jpg
20230130_131758.jpg
are just about guaranteed...No one EVER sees me shooting even my wife...the whole shooting thing bores her...but shooting these small groups alone is like fishing alone out in a boat and catching a 10 pound bass and releasing it....no one else has to know!
The brown boards were Bobcat and Veteran at 30 the white board was a Theoben Crusader .20 at 25y...not cherry picked just typical for me from that position...
20230417_151111.jpg

Interesting question...I'm probably different than most but it works for me. In 2010 I started shooting airguns almost on a daily basis...I had a Theoben SLR 98 long .22 (bought new) and just couldn't shoot it often enough...such fun and satisfaction...just set in a chair resting left elbow on crossed left knee shooting 7 shot groups, entire mag usually, year after year...until one day I discovered that I could REAILLY shoot this gun! Penny size groups and smaller were the norm (25y)...I shot that gun like that almost exclusively for seven years...I realized springers were supposed to be difficult to shoot well but I sure mastered that one...same sitting in chair position...in 2017 I bought an FX Wild Cat .25 PCP and I was astonished how well I could shoot that one with better trigger and no recoil...that's been almost 6 years ago...I prefere shooting from that position simply because it's comfortable routine and accurate...moved targets out to 30yards and rarely shot benched...I won't go so far as saying I can shoot sitting as well as benched but on a good day with the right gun and trigger (veteran and Bobcat) I can approach it....With those two gun dime sized groups (and smaller) View attachment 355767View attachment 355768View attachment 355769are just about guaranteed...No one EVER sees me shooting even my wife...the whole shooting thing bores her...but shooting these small groups alone is like fishing alone out in a boat and catching a 10 pound bass and releasing it....no one else has to know!
The brown boards were Bobcat and Veteran at 30 the white board was a Theoben Crusader .20 at 25y...not cherry picked just typical for me from that position...View attachment 355771
But places like here exist; we appreciate the post/pics!🤗🎩🤙
Sweet lookin rig!👀

Reactions: drpietrzak
I kind of like standing and unsupported, but my shot results say I do better when sitting with that support arm on my knee! Still, at this time standing is my second-favorite position. More practice standing could switch it around later.

Standing is what I'm used to, from the PB handgun. It's definitely a position that allows quick movement if necessary, unlike sitting on the ground. But yeah, the latter is more comfortable and relaxing. Last night I set up the little Crosman spinner trio (33 ft away, open sights) and felt relaxed and comfortable enough sitting on the ground to keep TINKing the spinners, including finally daring to aim for the small middle one. Missed the first time on it but made that thing zing around the next two times. Shot the trio 12 out of 14 attempts on it--which is the best I've done so far. I should set it up at 50 ft just to check how much harder it is to see them...it was really, really nice NOT to have the wind blowing, either.
Standing unsupported. Not always the most accurate but what is required

Last edited:
Since my main interest is field target, I do all my zeroing, pellet testing and the like from the seated FT position. I shoot three TX200 rifles, one HC, one regular length Mk3 and a Mk1 SR. I cannot remember the last time I used a bench or other support.

On a shooting day, which never happens often enough, I try to do seated to make sure everything is still dead on and then do kneeling and standing practise. I have a full 55 yards in my backyard and knock up knock down targets set at every five yards. I use paper when zeroing and choosing pellets, but much prefer the targets that simulate field targets for actual practise.

Tim

It’s great to read about the variety of shooting positions people use! Descriptions often don’t specify this detail, which is of great interest to this newbie. I also love how the rifle uses three points of contact instead of just one, and they can still be maintained with different positions. So nice being able to pick based on the body’s fit and flexibility.

Since my main interest is field target, I do all my zeroing, pellet testing and the like from the seated FT position. I shoot three TX200 rifles, one HC, one regular length Mk3 and a Mk1 SR. I cannot remember the last time I used a bench or other support.

On a shooting day, which never happens often enough, I try to do seated to make sure everything is still dead on and then do kneeling and standing practise. I have a full 55 yards in my backyard and knock up knock down targets set at every five yards. I use paper when zeroing and choosing pellets, but much prefer the targets that simulate field targets for actual practise.

Tim
I like your shooting day protocol and the graduated-distance targets. Need to figure out a way to incorporate those at my home, where almost nothing is on flat ground. And someone mentioned prickly pears, which are among the stickery plants we have. Carry a thornproof, abrasion-resistant pad...hmmmm....