Your ultimate versatile set up?

I'm in search of more versatile set up, currently a Brocock bantam hi lite .22. and a HW80 springer. I travel alot and don't have much storage for multiple guns. Was thinking in terms of selling the bantam and picking up a Fx Power Pup in .22. This would give me the ability to shoot slugs plus the ability of adding a 30 cal.....something along those terms.

Get a huben K1, easier to tune than a fx, shoots pellets and slugs, lights out accurate, semi auto….did I mention accurate? 😉☺️☺️☺️

DE68FE8D-DF19-4AA5-9E8B-19DC0240EB9E.jpeg

@donz Huben is a great all around gun if you want a wide range of power that is easily adjustable and the ability to shoot slugs and pellets long-distance, but understand its drawbacks from a maintenance perspective. I think the Brocock Atomic would come in second in terms of adjustability. It has a transfer port adjustment knob that makes it easy to adjust the velocity up/down on the fly within a specific range. I wouldn’t expect anywhere near the power of a Huben from this little carbine pellet slinger. If you want a well balanced and durable air rifle that can shoot pellets with great consistency, has a proven track record, is compact, and has great product support and parts availability - I’d be looking at the AAA Evol mini. You may also want to consider the EDgun Leshiy 2. It’s foldable so it fits in a backpack well, can be set up for some pretty good power, has the ability to swap calibers, among other features. There are plenty of setups and configurations for the L2. I can’t say there’s a best or "ultimate" here, it really is a matter of preference, budget, and depends upon the spectrum of your intended use.

What are you seeking to do with an “ultimate versatile setup?”

Last edited:
Just my experience but whenever I get something “versatile”, I end up not really using the versatility. For one, it’s not as simple as changing the barrel. Often needs the hammer weight changing, esp. if the caliber switch is big. Then there’s the retune and zeroing again. Then after changing to 30, some situation will arise where I need the 22. At some level, I thinks it better to go for one caliber (say 25) and change projectile/speed. Or just plan on having 4 PCP rifles, or 8 if you have separate slug and pellet guns, plus a few pistols, a couple big bores… and an arrow shooter (or two). Of course, if you’re on the road, thats not gonna work. Of all mine the Leshiy classic is the easiest to flip but they’re as rare as hens teeth. Tough as they come for the rigors of traveling too. FXs not so much IMHO.

Yea stuck at .22 caliber ... but what a range of output power is a few trigger input bumps away when in program mode.
@ 14 fpe to a tad over 40 fpe made in 12 programmable steps.
Rifle is quite light and easy to handle, accurate to a shooters fault, quiet & a high shot count.

Enter the realm of the DAYSTATE RED WOLF with a Heliboard (y)

Reactions: qball and Arzrover
Just my experience but whenever I get something “versatile”, I end up not really using the versatility. For one, it’s not as simple as changing the barrel. Often needs the hammer weight changing, esp. if the caliber switch is big. Then there’s the retune and zeroing again. Then after changing to 30, some situation will arise where I need the 22. At some level, I thinks it better to go for one caliber (say 25) and change projectile/speed. Or just plan on having 4 PCP rifles, or 8 if you have separate slug and pellet guns, plus a few pistols, a couple big bores… and an arrow shooter (or two). Of course, if you’re on the road, thats not gonna work. Of all mine the Leshiy classic is the easiest to flip but they’re as rare as hens teeth. Tough as they come for the rigors of traveling too. FXs not so much IMHO.

Fair points. Any rifle setup for quick barrel swaps with enough adjustment in air flow delivery is versatile IMO. Its been a selling point for manufacturers as of late. If your rifles hot-rodded its not hard to just simply swap barrels and shoot a heavy pellet within reason without a full retune. This year I can tune my setup to shoot 60-70 fpe in .25 cal, next year, .177 FT @ sub 12 ft/lbs, I'd rather have that potential than not, I don't need 4-8 guns, but that is just me personally, as I would feel burdened by so many rifles.

You’re already on the right road. There is no one gun that’s above average for multiple uses. If I‘m shooting a match I pick up one rifle and it’s accessories. Pesting would be a very different rifle and shooting for fun in the backyard or wherever is different again. The rifles that do multiple tasks oftentimes require you to do things like put on a different barrel or change out other parts and don’t do anything well, it’s always a compromise. Nuts to that I say. It’s quicker and easier to simply pick up the best one you have for the job and get to work. If you are traveling and can’t take multiples then there are some things you just won’t be able to do.

Rick H.

Reactions: SHOMER and L.Leon
As has been mentioned, the power versatility of the Huben is pretty much unmatched. Mine is a .22 and I've run it from about 5 FPE to about 60 FPE, and it is easy to adjust on the fly. Right now I have it set to max out about 35 FPE via the regulated level (only 95 bar) but it can do anything between that level and around 5 or so. I keep it loaded with 18.1s and it loves those. I dial it down to low power when taking out chipmunks close to the house, and simply adjust my holdover which I have tested out and know.

I have seen somebody that had their mag laser engraved with numbers for each slot, and I would like to do that at some point. With that, you could easily keep track of your mag slots and have 1-10 loaded with one pellet and 11-19 loaded with another and easily spin the mag to whichever you needed at the time. Then one could easily have a long distance high energy slug and short range low energy pellet loaded up and ready to go - flip the lever, spin the mag, and set the power wheel in just a few seconds. That would be really versatile . . . .

I for one don't think having to go back to the workbench to change out parts or retune is really that versatile . . . for me those guns all get set up one way and left alone for months before any changes get made.

I’m in agreement - .177 for inexpensive target shooting and plunking in the yard. A .22 for small pests to 40 yards, .25 for medium pests out to 60 yards and .30 to smash larger pests to 75 yards. Yes you can be lethal further out but I like a humane easily controlled kill. Or get just two - a .177 and a .30

I'm on a similar search. 90% of my shooting can be done with 177 no problem. A couple times a year I can use a 25 cal.
I'm not brand loyal, but it seems on this search FX has made it very easy.
Right now my plan is a Maverick Compact in 177, and I will buy a 25 600mm barrel kit for my needs. I want the Wildcat Compact BT, but they don't sell it in 177. I think if its more of an occasional need, it makes sense. If you need to change often, I agree go with two rifles.

I'm in search of more versatile set up, currently a Brocock bantam hi lite .22. and a HW80 springer. I travel alot and don't have much storage for multiple guns. Was thinking in terms of selling the bantam and picking up a Fx Power Pup in .22. This would give me the ability to shoot slugs plus the ability of adding a 30 cal.....something along those terms.
Meaning you travel with your PCPs? Just trying to understand. The “versatility” depends on the types of shooting you might do. A single caliber PCP can be versatile. With multi caliber PCPs, the ability to change calibers, increases “theoretical” versatility, but if only owning one gun? Not so much in practical practice. You would get more useful answers if you state your current and intended usage’s.

I would favor a wildcat mkIII tube over a dreamline/power pup all day long IMHO . But then you are a lil closer to the maverick compact haha.

As far as your Title = Your ultimate versatile set up . == I am still looking for this one after multiple years haha. I have not found it yet.

Just to throw this out there I actually like the brocock bantam hi-lite .22 unregulated better than any of the five dreamlines I have owned. If you do get a dreamline anyway and it is the bottle addition do not change the tanks out often, I have seen this on 4 of the five I had that the bottle adapter threads will Gaul/ fold rather quickly when switched under pressure I have one left that has started and will be buying a new adapter again. I received it in a trade of course haha. The way I have gotten around this through out the years is to very carefully bleed out the air and remove the bottle while there is no pressure at all on the threads. This takes care of the issue. Good luck on your hunt !

I will add a picture of another bottle adapter later to show this in a few I still have two old ones for parts in a junk box haha.

IMG_20230517_220330687.jpg
IMG_20230517_220346336.jpg

Last edited:
I think of "versatility" as different uses with one airgun... I Iike plinking, target shooting, pesting and a bit of small game hunting - pretty much in that order.

So accuracy, adjustable power, ergonomics, shot-count are considerations.

I looked for years ( and a safe full of airguns later LOL! ) finally found that a .22 caliber FX Crown Mk2 with a 500mm barrel meets all my requirements nicely.

In addition, the option to swap liners or change calibers makes the Crown flexible as well.

I have specialty airguns for plinking, 10 meter shooting, bench shooting etc, etc. but none cover so many uses so well.

Cheers!

Reactions: swNCsw and L.Leon
I want the same thing, switchochangeo. I change my main springer depending on what and where we are headed.

What have I learned from this? Well, I can do anything with .177 that I can do with 22, in that platform. Now that I have 22 cal pcp in the house, I will change it back to 177 and leave it.

I would like a gun that I can 177 today and 22 or larger tomorrow.
But I could live with a Huben as described in this thread.

Donz, I totally understand what you want.

I would suggest the HW80 springer.