• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Your opinion of the AA 510 XS ultimate sportier with regulator

Make sure you get a new one with a Gen2 regulator and valving. If you get an early model, make sure it's been retrofitted with the Gen2 parts.

It's a great gun.

Thanks Bob, I was thinking of a refurb from Pyramyd, and they can't confirm the regulator generation. So I am probably better off sending one of my current rifles for a regulator from Motorhead. Refurb was 1275 I think and a new one 1500. I am a bit intimidated by that investment. 

In .177 @20fpe+/- you should be able to get just over 30 shots with less than 20fpe ES. If a person could live with say 14fpe a good number more shots can be had. How many shots w/out a fill does silhouette use?

Esp. on the AA I vote regulated what you already have. I know several people who have installed a regulator in older bolt action & side lever models and each of them was tickled with the results. Even if power and air usage stayed the same (which a full tune along with a reg would improve) as you can then actually FILL it too manufacture specs instead of it's "sweet spot" you'll get more shots.

You already know the fit & feel (and that wonderful belt buckle/other "I own it" ding) of your rig the only thing missing is a reg, install one you'll love the ES and you are not giving up anything to the latest greatest model. 

John

John,

Silhouette is generally 40 or 60 rounds per match. But generally there are 2 matches, and practice, so 120+ shots at a club is probably the norm. I have a SCBA tank, so refill is not an issue, and it can be topped off between, practice, and matches. Naturally it is desirable to have less refills to have one less thing to do. 

The targets are from 20 - 40 yards. The 20 yard target is a chicken, and I guess about as big as a quarter. That size is not so challenging from a rest, but offhand it needs precision.

Likewise the ram at 40 yards is a bugger if the velocity is changing. So the shot velocity curve adds another hurdle that can be pretty frustration. 

A good friend that lives a few hrs away bought the newest version of the Ultimate Sporter (laminate stock/regulator) a few months ago, in .177 like you are considering.. He has been sending me pics of some pretty impressive 50 yard groups. Hard to measure a picture but I'd guess he is averaging 1/2 inch, 5 shot groups at 50, and some groups in the pics look like one hole, I'd guess 3/8 of an inch from edge to edge.

His reports are that the gun is set up to shoot pretty hot. He didn't send me any numbers for power level 1 but, if I'm understanding correctly, 1 is the most powerful. On power level 2 he is getting 989 to 1005 fps with 10.3 grain pellets. He turned it down to power level 3 and averaged 915 fps over 45 shots with good accuracy-perfect for field target. What he is calling power level 3 is doing 800fps with the jsb 13.43s and also very accurate. 

Good call. You'll have just what you need and are coming out way ahead $ wise - try and sell a non-regulated .177 , you cant get 1/3 back but with the reg pro installed (save receipts) it again has value naturally now tho you wont ever want to sell it.

Really pretty darn good overall QC on AA rigs over the years. Seldom any issue (tho I remember the bad loc-tite on a few TX200's) and immediate remedy if needed - most never heard of the bad locker agent right? .

And yup, power. They've always had it, have an old 410s in .177 (non-adjustable TP bolt action) that came shooting 23.9fpe! YIKES. Had to "fix" it the old fashioned complicated way and remove 2 screws and change hammer spring but I like it that way. I have seen a power house 410 .22 (16mm shroud model) that really did shoot just as well as an airgun can.

Put a picture in that write up would you?

John

I’ll let you know, mine in .22 is out for delivery today. 

Anxious to hear the results on you rebuilt rifle.

I told Scott to add a regulator, tune, and replace all the o-rings. 

I asked Scott his opinion on sending my 177 AA400, or my AA500 in 22. He thought the 177 was a better choice, so that one in in the USPS hands right now. 

In a big way I like the idea of having less rifles that are very refined. If I bought a Ultimate sporter, I bet my other 2 AA400/500 would just take up space. So this seems efficient. 

Early impression is it's a finely finished piece. Heavy, and loud compared to my Sumo moderated Wildcat. I managed to get the Q-Tec off with heat and rubber gloves. Has anyone found the right male-male adapter to use a DonnyFL on this shroud? It's bigger than 1/2" inside.

I am curious on your turn around time. How long did your upgrade take?

Make sure you get a new one with a Gen2 regulator and valving. If you get an early model, make sure it's been retrofitted with the Gen2 parts.

It's a great gun.

Thanks Bob, I was thinking of a refurb from Pyramyd, and they can't confirm the regulator generation. So I am probably better off sending one of my current rifles for a regulator from Motorhead. Refurb was 1275 I think and a new one 1500. I am a bit intimidated by that investment.

Terry, Bob and I both owned two of the first AA US/XS's that hit the states. They are beautiful air rifles, workmanship is second to none in my opinion. They are however the result of AA tuning them around a specific pellet weight and velocity. If you're happy with that weight at their velocity then you really can't go wrong. Generally speaking our rifles were factory designed/tuned pretty hot to move a 5,5mm (0,22 cal) AA or JSB 18.x grain pellet downrange. Bob would, I'm sure agree that we both wanted more flexibility in an air rifle which resulted in moves to FX Crowns. Personally I think the workmanship on my AA Manelli walnut stock was far better than the Manelli on the Crown. The receiver action on the AA was flawless. Smooth as silk.

Facing the same choice I would buy new, to me it would be worth the extra $225 because I would know I was getting the latest version and you get a longer warranty than the refurb. I believe AA bumped their warranty up to 3 years. Good luck with your choice they are beautiful air guns.

Thanks for the reply. I decided to have a regulator installed in one of my 2 unregulated Air Arms sidelever rifles. So I shipped the action to Motorhead Airguns in California. 

Depending how the 177 works out, I may have the 22 regulated also. 

I do like the idea of a tuning the rifle to the pellet. I had a Daystate MK4 MCT and Airwolf MCT, and the electronic settings gave some flexibility. Both were very good rifles. 

I had an early FX Royale 400, but the trigger was lacking, and the barrel would lead up and accuracy would go in the crapper. So that has me cautious of FX.

Of course the AA will have adjustable hammer, but the port will be tuned and fixed. Hopefully it will shoot crossman 10.3s.