Tuning Your M3 Tunes Here

Do yourself a favour and get rid of the slug power kit but just keep the slug probe installed, i have the M3 in .25 with a standard 700mm superior liner fitted and i have almost identical reg settings to yours along with the valve,macro,micro and i have 38g prohunter slugs pushing 980fps.

Lots of people have been fitting slug power kits to there M3s and have been getting problems , just try it as stock first before fitting the probe but make sure your barrel is turned to slug port.

Utah Airguns told me to not use a slug kit as the latest M3's do not need this kit. 

From what ernest rowe said in one of his videos , The M3 already comes with the spacers/washers amongst other things that you would need to increase power in the rifle.

My friend was one of the people who unwittlingly fitted the slug power kit to his .25 M3 and actually lost power, in the end he just used the slug pin probe and that was it.

With my .25 M3 i kept everything as stock and didnt change a thing and still got 980fps with 38g slugs and sub moa groups.

I think Fx ( at least here in the uk) didnt make users aware enough that you didnt need the SPK with the M3.

Someone please give me a clear understanding of how you should measure the valve setting with a caliper. I see all these measurements but from what points should you take your measurements? From the front of the knob to the body of the rifle or from the back of the knob to the body of the rifle? Or... from the front of the knob to the shoulder on the base of the valve adjuster? Or, from the back of the knob to the shoulder on the base of the valve adjuster?

It seems like the easiest method would be to measure from the front of the knob to the body of the rifle, but I don't want to be wrong considering such little adjustment can affect so much.

Thanks.

So I am wondering about this entire setup reporting your tunes. While I realize that some tunes may not be as good as others, having eventually hundreds if not thousands of tunes in a serial fashion (i.e., each of these pages), is not particularly effective (especially given the Search features of this site). I am wondering if it is possible to somewhere host a Google Document (e.g, Excel type datasheet) in which tunes are separated by caliber (each caliber on a different sheet and/or page) but then listed by bullet manufacturer, grains, etc and then each tune being reported in the same way (i.e., First Regulator, Second Regulator, etc) so that each line basically has all necessary information including any modifications that have been added to the stock gun. Users could then easily not only search for caliber specific tunes they are interested in but be more specific in their searches by for example searching for a particular manufacturer of pellets or slugs, a particular grain or a particular manufacturer of a specific bullet w/specific grain to get a tune that applies to them.

Given the many users that have or will have the M3 and most of us are like children running the gun thru its paces w/as many variables that we can think of, there will be tons of data that will be accumulating fast and an optimal way of organizing it will be needed. Could this site setup a page like this for the M3? Or does someone have something like this already? I am sure there will be technical considerations but for that there ought to be webmaster, no?

So I am wondering about this entire setup reporting your tunes. While I realize that some tunes may not be as good as others, having eventually hundreds if not thousands of tunes in a serial fashion (i.e., each of these pages), is not particularly effective (especially given the Search features of this site). I am wondering if it is possible to somewhere host a Google Document (e.g, Excel type datasheet) in which tunes are separated by caliber (each caliber on a different sheet and/or page) but then listed by bullet manufacturer, grains, etc and then each tune being reported in the same way (i.e., First Regulator, Second Regulator, etc) so that each line basically has all necessary information including any modifications that have been added to the stock gun. Users could then easily not only search for caliber specific tunes they are interested in but be more specific in their searches by for example searching for a particular manufacturer of pellets or slugs, a particular grain or a particular manufacturer of a specific bullet w/specific grain to get a tune that applies to them.

Given the many users that have or will have the M3 and most of us are like children running the gun thru its paces w/as many variables that we can think of, there will be tons of data that will be accumulating fast and an optimal way of organizing it will be needed. Could this site setup a page like this for the M3? Or does someone have something like this already? I am sure there will be technical considerations but for that there ought to be webmaster, no?

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/m3-30-cal-700mm-barrel-tunes-only/

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-impact-m3-setting-spreadsheet/

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/looking-for-tune-m3-22-700mm/

what you’re looking for is all out there. The spreadsheet thing has been suggested before. Best approach is to research, get a notepad and a chronograph, and get your hands dirty and spend the dollars in ammo and hours in testing, like the Mk1 and MK2 folks have done. The plus to this is you’ll get closely acquainted with your gun, and be proud of your own findings.

From what ernest rowe said in one of his videos , The M3 already comes with the spacers/washers amongst other things that you would need to increase power in the rifle.

My friend was one of the people who unwittlingly fitted the slug power kit to his .25 M3 and actually lost power, in the end he just used the slug pin probe and that was it.

With my .25 M3 i kept everything as stock and didnt change a thing and still got 980fps with 38g slugs and sub moa groups.

I think Fx ( at least here in the uk) didnt make users aware enough that you didnt need the SPK with the M3.

And what were the “stock settings”? Your performance is what I am looking for. 

• Love
Reactions: Trooper836
My own stock settings or factory settings or whatever you want to call it for my .25 M3 was 1st reg 150, 2nd reg 125, valve at 3 lines , micro at 3, using the power wheel at 7 i could get my favoured velocity of 900fps with 25 4g fx pellets and 26g jsb hades.

Using power wheel on 16 i was able to get 880fps with 33 95g king heavy mk2s.

You should note down your factory settings when you recieve your M3 as i have noticed other peoples have been different.

Reactions: iobrien1

Unfortunately I think you guys are confusing PCP’s with firearms. Maybe this “share your tunes” thing is just a wonderful marketing ploy to lure the clueless into buying an expensive complicated gun. Why do you think that nobody’s settings are the same when they receive their guns from a dealer that sets the gun up? It’s because every gun and location and is different. If you never take the time to learn how to find the plateau of your reg setting, then experiment with how the gun changes as you approach the knee, then see the effects as you shut down the valve, you will never know how to get the most out of your gun. When you learn how to set up a PCP, you will quickly understand that other guys settings don’t mean much. Especially considering that there’s a 90% chance that somebody’s gauge is off at least 5-10 bar. That in itself is a game changer. If Bob tells you this fantastic tune is based around a 110b second reg setting and his gauge or your gauge is off even 5b, you will never see his results. On the flip side, if you learn to understand how a PCP works, Bob can tell you that his magic tune started with a plateau speed of 935fps. Then you can find what reg setting on YOUR gun can match that speed. Then you can follow that he backed is hammer wheel down to 900fps and then used the valve to arrive at 890fps. If this is over your head, you’re in trouble.

Unfortunately I think you guys are confusing PCP’s with firearms. Maybe this “share your tunes” thing is just a wonderful marketing ploy to lure the clueless into buying an expensive complicated gun. Why do you think that nobody’s settings are the same when they receive their guns from a dealer that sets the gun up? It’s because every gun and location and is different. If you never take the time to learn how to find the plateau of your reg setting, then experiment with how the gun changes as you approach the knee, then see the effects as you shut down the valve, you will never know how to get the most out of your gun. When you learn how to set up a PCP, you will quickly understand that other guys settings don’t mean much. Especially considering that there’s a 90% chance that somebody’s gauge is off at least 5-10 bar. That in itself is a game changer. If Bob tells you this fantastic tune is based around a 110b second reg setting and his gauge or your gauge is off even 5b, you will never see his results. On the flip side, if you learn to understand how a PCP works, Bob can tell you that his magic tune started with a plateau speed of 935fps. Then you can find what reg setting on YOUR gun can match that speed. Then you can follow that he backed is hammer wheel down to 900fps and then used the valve to arrive at 890fps. If this is over your head, you’re in trouble.

I've only been shooting PCPs for 8 months but have experience tuning paintball guns. There was definitely a lot of information to consume but it all clicked one-day watching AEAC's YouTube channel. 

I have found that when it comes to sharing M3 tunes its hit or miss, some tunes i have been given work great and give exactly the same results as the 'tune giver' gives, and some are in the same ball park and then there are some that are nowhere near anything like what the other person is seeing.

I think that having a ever growing library of tunes that other M3 users can pick from and try is a good thing and affords the shooter the ability just to try and find the right one that works for there particular M3 without having to learn the intricacies of tuning a pcp, it is there choice.

I used to be that shooter who just wanted accurate results on paper and couldnt care less about learning to tune the rifle, I was just given a tune by a UK slug manufacturer that worked great in his .25 M3 and i was away. now I'm a fully fledge tuning addict who loves building a "by the book" tune and learning about the rifle.

What I have found is that using other persons 'tunes' for my M3 have been useless. What should be discussed more is how to properly develop a tune for your rifle. Learn how to come up with your own unique tune.

I've found so many idiosyncrasies of the tuning system of the M3. One of the main things is that when you turn the Macro wheel, the micro adjust jumps with it, but that is depending on where the micro was set before you turn the macro wheel. This noob learned the hard way, and wasted a lot of air and lead. lol.

Another tuning oddity. Say you turn the macro to 10, shoot a string and the chrono averages at 900fps. Then change the macro down to test and decide to move it back up to 10. Shoot another string and it's nowhere near the same. Way, way off. However... If you adjust the power wheel to 16 (max) and turn it back down to 10, it shoots at the speed I originally tested. So when turning the macro, make sure to go high to low to get back to the speed you tested.

I've also noticed that if you change the valve setting, but adjust it back, it's never the same. It may be off as much as 20 to 50fps. I'm measuring with a caliper, so I'm not sure why its so squirrelly.

The M3 is NOT as simple as turning some knobs and then 'poof', you're magically shooting like the guys on youtube. But they are sure doing a good job of selling them, lol. Do I regret my purchase? Certainly not, but it's not what I expected in a big way.

Reactions: 2L8 and aklonewolf
What I have found is that using other persons 'tunes' for my M3 have been useless. What should be discussed more is how to properly develop a tune for your rifle. Learn how to come up with your own unique tune.

I've found so many idiosyncrasies of the tuning system of the M3. One of the main things is that when you turn the Macro wheel, the micro adjust jumps with it, but that is depending on where the micro was set before you turn the macro wheel. This noob learned the hard way, and wasted a lot of air and lead. lol.

Another tuning oddity. Say you turn the macro to 10, shoot a string and the chrono averages at 900fps. Then change the macro down to test and decide to move it back up to 10. Shoot another string and it's nowhere near the same. Way, way off. However... If you adjust the power wheel to 16 (max) and turn it back down to 10, it shoots at the speed I originally tested. So when turning the macro, make sure to go high to low to get back to the speed you tested.

I've also noticed that if you change the valve setting, but adjust it back, it's never the same. It may be off as much as 20 to 50fps. I'm measuring with a caliper, so I'm not sure why its so squirrelly.

The M3 is NOT as simple as turning some knobs and then 'poof', you're magically shooting like the guys on youtube. But they are sure doing a good job of selling them, lol. Do I regret my purchase? Certainly not, but it's not what I expected in a big way.

I applaud you for attending “impact 101 class” and realizing all you’ve done. Don’t you feel better knowing you have somewhat a grasp on this tuning? You’re ready to jump into the troubleshoot part of it now, lol. 

I myself am discovering my own MK2 impact idiosyncrasies, that I’ve never experienced with other impacts.

Funny thing is I own two, and you’d think the other one would share the same idiosyncrasies as the other- no way! As far as mods and aftermarket upgrades, both guns share the exact same mods and pieces, too. 

Reactions: vjb123

Could not be said any better! Bravo sir.

Thank you. But there is also a part 2 that Bigragu eluded to. If there is one component different about your gun compared to the guy you’re trying to mooch a tune off of, it’s game over once again. And it’s not necessarily a bolt on component like your scope is heavier, or you have more weight hanging off the back of the gun with an aftermarket butt plate. It could be as simple as your liner nut tension or probe depth is slightly different. Every little thing can effect this gun because of how it’s built. Is it a bad gun? Absolutely not. I have two of them. But I don’t think it’s the let’s go to the reloaders handbook, find a load and live happily ever after gun that some people believe it is. If your not willing to learn how to establish your own tunes, just wait until it develops a leak or something comes loose like the C1 and you have to figure that out. You’ll be lost and unhappy because you don’t understand how your gun works and what makes it work. You chose a gun with 40 orings, better learn it.

Reactions: 2L8
I believe what's more important than tuning specs is pellet speed. Each manufacturer and weight has a sweet spot for a certain velocity. If I can get that, I can tune my M3 to that velocity myself. For example, if I know that the h&n hunter in .25 caliber does best at 890 ft per second, then I can tune to that or if it's 930 per second, I can tune to that, as well. I would like to have a database that shows those data rather than one with specific tunes.

Reactions: iobrien1
I believe what's more important than tuning specs is pellet speed. Each manufacturer and weight has a sweet spot for a certain velocity. If I can get that, I can tune my M3 to that velocity myself. For example, if I know that the h&n hunter in .25 caliber does best at 890 ft per second, then I can tune to that or if it's 930 per second, I can tune to that, as well. I would like to have a database that shows those data rather than one with specific tunes.

I think you hit the nail on the head man.

With the help of some guys on the forum teaching me the in’s and outs of how to tune it properly, then spending the time, lead, and practice to get it right on my backyard. It seems like it would be better to get the velocity range for projectiles and go from there. Results will always very but it’s in my opinion the best place to start. 

Can’t say thank you enough to the gentleman who helped me, and all the time and personal attention they’ve given to me. They know who they are and from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU for everything you’ve taught me!!

Again time and lead instead of settings is the way to go, one gun will shoot totally different from another with the same settings. It’s your own tune on your gun that will get the most out of this awesome riffle.

Reactions: aklonewolf