Tuning Your M3 Tunes Here

What I have found is that using other persons 'tunes' for my M3 have been useless. What should be discussed more is how to properly develop a tune for your rifle. Learn how to come up with your own unique tune.

I've found so many idiosyncrasies of the tuning system of the M3. One of the main things is that when you turn the Macro wheel, the micro adjust jumps with it, but that is depending on where the micro was set before you turn the macro wheel. This noob learned the hard way, and wasted a lot of air and lead. lol.

Another tuning oddity. Say you turn the macro to 10, shoot a string and the chrono averages at 900fps. Then change the macro down to test and decide to move it back up to 10. Shoot another string and it's nowhere near the same. Way, way off. However... If you adjust the power wheel to 16 (max) and turn it back down to 10, it shoots at the speed I originally tested. So when turning the macro, make sure to go high to low to get back to the speed you tested.

I've also noticed that if you change the valve setting, but adjust it back, it's never the same. It may be off as much as 20 to 50fps. I'm measuring with a caliper, so I'm not sure why its so squirrelly.

The M3 is NOT as simple as turning some knobs and then 'poof', you're magically shooting like the guys on youtube. But they are sure doing a good job of selling them, lol. Do I regret my purchase? Certainly not, but it's not what I expected in a big way.
Great advice,thanks.

Reactions: Skydancer
I would say that I have found other people's tuning parameters to be helpful as a starting point for me. But I think the focus should be on the velocity of the pellet and not necessarily on the tuning component. Now, I know that it has to be properly tuned to get the velocity but I have found over the years that the consistency of my shot placement is more dependent upon the consistency of the velocity for a given pellet. And I'm sure that this is all due to the ballistic components of those particular pellets or slugs.. well I've done some research on the five or six different pellets that I use, I would love to see a more formal study done that would identify The Sweet spot and feet per second for the different types and weights of pellets.

Reactions: 450BM and douger
I would say that I have found other people's tuning parameters to be helpful as a starting point for me. But I think the focus should be on the velocity of the pellet and not necessarily on the tuning component. Now, I know that it has to be properly tuned to get the velocity but I have found over the years that the consistency of my shot placement is more dependent upon the consistency of the velocity for a given pellet. And I'm sure that this is all due to the ballistic components of those particular pellets or slugs.. well I've done some research on the five or six different pellets that I use, I would love to see a more formal study done that would identify The Sweet spot and feet per second for the different types and weights of pellets.
Agreed! I like to have a good jumping off point but most of the fun comes from tinkering and fine tuning. So these tunes are helpful to see what others are getting and sort of understand how the gun works, but I don't think anyone should just take them as a finished setting. Just my 2 cents

Rifle specs / mods:

.22 700mm

Superior heavy liner with carbon fiber sleeve

Ernest Rowe dual high flow transfer port

Huma high flow pellet probe

2x hammer spring spacers from FX slug power kit

Details for 27.5gr .218 dia Nielsen slug tune:

165 bar 1st reg

135 bar 2nd reg

valve 1.5 turns open past 4th line on 4 line valve housing (full open)

16 macro

2.75 micro

955 fps

Since this rifle is going to be used for ground squirrel blasting 90% of the time, I tested the 24.8, 27.5, and 28.5gr slugs, any of which provide ample muzzle energy for squirrels at longer range while still being decent on air use to give a higher shot count per fill than the heavier 31.2gr slugs. The 27.5s have a good BC for their weight (0.090BC) and luckily my barrel liked the 27.5s best. For info, max velocity plateau for this setup with the 27.5gr slugs is 990fps. I set the macro to 16, started the micro at 1.25, and worked up using the micro only to find the velocity peak and then backed off the micro from the peak down to 980fps and shot groups dialing the micro down little by little looking for best accuracy which ended up being 955fps.

Adjusting this way having the macro at 16 for the slug tune makes it easy to remember that 16 is the default slug adjustment. I get about 72-75 shots per fill with this setup.

Details for 18.1 gr JSB pellet tune:

Everything the same as the slug tune, except adjust macro to 4. This result in 925fps. Accuracy is quite good but could be better. Tried shooting groups from 825-950fps and 925fps were the best. My hunch is the twist rate of the superior heavy liner might be too fast for the lighter 18.1gr pellets. Still, it's a good combo for smaller backyard or closer range pesting at 34 ft-lb when the slugs might be overkill. Also good for closer range target practice in the backyard since it's much easier on air use than the slug tune. Zero changes up 0.3 mils and left 0.7 mils from the slug zero.

Details for 25.4 gr JSB pellet tune:

Everything the same as the slug tune, except adjust macro to 12. This results in 935fps and absolutely fantastic accuracy with the 25.4's, they seem to get along very well with the superior heavy liner. 49 ft-lb, good for larger critters or longer ranges in places where the slugs might be overkill. Zero changes up 0.2 mils and left 0.2 mils from the slug zero.
Your 27.5 NSA setup was the basis for a tune I am trying using 30.5 gr .218 ZANs. Similar specs to your rifle, I think this will work well.

Other tuning learning: I'm quite impressed by the velocity difference beween .217 and .218 slugs. Diameter is just increased by 1 thou BUT for the very same tune de velocity of .218 are 30fps less than the .217. Of course .218 generate more friction but I would't imagine such an impact on the velocity. Anyone with a similar experience?
yes. I had the same with H&N 34gr slugs.

Guys...I'm somewhat not new to PCP, but I am completely new to FX Impact M3. It's a 22 700mm barrel. I am completely clueless on how to set this up for the first initial shot/sighting-in. I am shooting H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme (18.52 gr) and JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy (18.13 gr). Now, I guess I can go through the whole thread and search for an answer (if there's one already), but I'm asking for your pity here...can someone give me some help? Here's the current setting (from the factory): Regulator no. 1 is at 173 bar, rear regulator (no. 2) is at 90 bar, Hammer Power Wheel dial is 16 and Fune Tune Barrel Roller is on roughly 2.8. All seasoned FX Impact M3 users, need your input on how to get this going. Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
Guys...I'm somewhat not new to PCP, but I am completely new to FX Impact M3. It's a 22 700mm barrel. I am completely clueless on how to set this up for the first initial shot/sighting-in. I am shooting H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme (18.52 gr) and JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy (18.13 gr). Now, I guess I can go through the whole thread and search for an answer (if there's one already), but I'm asking for your pity here...can someone give me some help? Here's the current setting (from the factory): Regulator no. 1 is at 173 bar, rear regulator (no. 2) is at 90 bar, Hammer Power Wheel dial is 16 and Fune Tune Barrel Roller is on roughly 2.8. All seasoned FX Impact M3 users, need your input on how to get this going. Thanks so much in advance!
call or email fx usa a tec will get you close or go through the posts here lotta tunes as every gun is not the same but will be close you have a chrony if not buy one or its a waste of time

If you’re too lazy or impatient to read this topic to learn some things about the gun you bought, you and the Impact might have some relationship problems.
Your statement is true to some degree, however, I'm only asking to see if I get responses from only those that use the type of pellets I use, don't want to dig all about slugs here slugs there, or all kinds of pellet brands out there. But thanks for your response.

sorry i didn't change over from my maverick but this is a fx m3 700mm barrel is 25 cal 33.95mkii all day long !!!

thumbnail 1.png