Tuning Your M3 Tunes Here

Hi Everyone am new here and new to the world of FX air rifles i have just got a FX Impact M3 30cal Sniper i have JSB 50.15gr & FX 44.75gr pellets to try and a FX chronograph on its way my factory settings are 1st reg 150 2nd reg 100 macro 16 micro 3 1/2 valve 4 lines as anyone got any settings i could try out on these pellets or any other suggestions on pellets weights to try i would be very grateful and Thank you 

Keith, the simple answer is yes.

My wife's gun…macro 10, micro 3.5 minus 4 clicks, valve on 4th ring, speed 946. NSA 20.2. . 7/8 inches at 100 yards. 
My gun…..macro 10, micro 3.5 minus 8 clicks, valve on 4th ring, 956 fps. NSA 20.2 . 1.1 inches at 100 yards.

Both guns first regulator on 150 and second on 110 

However, I am still experimenting. The weather has been cold and windy for the past 3 months. Also, I am not an accomplished shooter at age 76. I know a skilled shooter can achieve better results. 
For what it is worth, I am having better results with the FX 18.1 pellets at 50 yards. 

Hi Everyone am new here and new to the world of FX air rifles i have just got a FX Impact M3 30cal Sniper i have JSB 50.15gr & FX 44.75gr pellets to try and a FX chronograph on its way my factory settings are 1st reg 150 2nd reg 100 macro 16 micro 3 1/2 valve 4 lines as anyone got any settings i could try out on these pellets or any other suggestions on pellets weights to try i would be very grateful and Thank you

Hey Bud congrats on the new M3! I have a .25cal would love to try a .30cal, bet they make a thump when you hit steel. 

Soooo for the tunes…. This has been a great debate here about sharing tunes. After what I’ve learned it seems the best approach it to find out the range of velocities that are best for your projectile and find the tune that works best for your gun. The M3 is very easy to adjust however, because gauges read different, tolerances between parts, and even environmental factors you most likely will not have the same results as someone else even if you use the same settings they do. You may be kinda close or wayyyy off in left field. Bummer right? No worries there’s lots of great threads on the forum and vids on YouTube for tuning. I would recommend that you start the process with a velocity in mind and follow the procedure of tuning. It takes a little time and effort but with practice it’s gets easier and quicker. Also there may be members who are willing to give you some one on one time to ask questions about how the gun works, how the different adjustments will effect your outcome and strategies they use to tune. Also in my experience one tune usually doesn’t cover multiple projectiles. Sure they’ll go down the barrel, but if you’ll get better results if you have tunes for each projectile. 

That being said, unfortunately I can’t say what the optimal velocities are for .30 cal jsb’s are. I’m sure the info is out there though. For .25cal ~25gr jsb/fx pellets 860-920fps will give good accuracy and a good ballistic coefficient. For the heavier .25 mkll pellets iirc it’s a little lower 830-880fps. I’ve heard folks say slugs like to be shot fast and with higher reg pressures than pellets. In .25 cal I shoot 37gr zan slugs at just around 900fps. For pellets my second regulator gauge is somewhere around 100-105bar and I use the pellet port side of the transfer port. For slugs I’m up about around 125bar and use the slug port. I say “around” because gauges are notorious for being slightly off from one gauge to the next. A difference of 5 bar or so will throw a tune off so that’s why what works for one gun may not work for another. 

So look up some numbers for those pellets, read some threads and watch some vids on tuning. When your chrony shows up do some shooting and tune that puppy! When you get your gun dialed in just right it’s such a cool sense of satisfaction! If it takes a couple mags or a couple tins don’t get discouraged just keep at it. Record your setting and only change one at a time to see how it effects your shot. 

For pellet and slug recommendations jsb’s seem to be the top pick, that’s what I like to shoot, fx pellets are almost identical to jsb’s also. For slugs to each their own, I prefer Zan slugs as they seem to work well for me.

if you’re going for accuracy you may want to wash, lube, and sort your pellets. As one buddy put it to me “it’s a labor of love man”. Personally I don’t sort but I do toss them in the ultrasonic cleaner with dawn and roll them in a rag with a very light spritz of ballistol after they dry. I seem to get a lower standard deviation and extreme spread. Guys who sort can get their guns shooting the same velocity pellet after pellet.

Stay awesome and again congrats on the new rifle!!

Keith, the simple answer is yes.

My wife's gun…macro 10, micro 3.5 minus 4 clicks, valve on 4th ring, speed 946. NSA 20.2. . 7/8 inches at 100 yards. 
My gun…..macro 10, micro 3.5 minus 8 clicks, valve on 4th ring, 956 fps. NSA 20.2 . 1.1 inches at 100 yards.

Both guns first regulator on 150 and second on 110 

However, I am still experimenting. The weather has been cold and windy for the past 3 months. Also, I am not an accomplished shooter at age 76. I know a skilled shooter can achieve better results. 
For what it is worth, I am having better results with the FX 18.1 pellets at 50 yards.

Thanks Douglas. I'll give those a shot!

Keith.

Sell, I emailed FX and requested a tune for the 25.3 using a 600mm barrel and they replied with ( 95-110 on the Reg to get 890-920 with the pellet side dow.) They also suggested if I wanted to maximize the shots per fill to use the slug side down set the reg to 80 Bar. to achieve 880-910. I don't fully understand how using the slug side down would help the gun be more efficient. So far I have tried setting the second reg at 110 power wheel at 16 and quick tune at 4. I shot this target yesterday at 30 yards I was struggling with a crosswind but the the Standard deviation was only 3.45 and average velocity was 911 and I think the results are very acceptable and most likely limited by shooter error and the quality of the pellets. I am new at this so I really don't know where to go from here . 

IMG_3246.1649018171.JPG

Just launched a new, experimental site for tuning recipes for the Impact M3. It's still just a proof of concept, but any constructive criticism or comment is welcome. So head over to http://m3tunes.com/ for a quick look :)

PS! I've already dived into the recipes found in this forum and added those (with credits to source), but feel free to add recipes I've missed. And read the "About ... " and "Getting started" BEFORE sending comments. Thank you.

Reactions: pgk and cgceballos
I've been following and watching with my fingers crossed to see more .30 tunes. 😉

Just doesn't seem to be a popular cal here.

I'm running with a 600mm barrel (.30). Originally it was an M3 Sniper in .22. However, I wanted a .30 for chucks and yotes for around the farms that bring me in to remove nuisance pests for. 

I've watched .68 whiskeys videos. Did pick up some minor info. However, there's got to be other sources for tuning numbers? 

I'm looking for more fps and fpe.

My current tune sending 44.75 Hybrid Slugs is averaging 870 fps. When I skip my daily doses of caffeine, I'm getting 5 shot groups thumb nail sized or slightly smaller at 55yds. 

This is my first PCP rifle. Coming over from 20+ years of Law Enforcement, K9 and department gunsmithing. I like to tinker and push the limits. 😊

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks folks!

K9

I picked up my M3 Sniper 700mm .30 cal, on 5-20-22 from Utah Airguns and mine shoots the 44.75s one jagged hole at 35 yards. heres the tune they sent me out the door with. 

first reg - 160 bar 

2nd reg - 105 bar

front valve - on the the 4th line (can just barely see the 4th line)

Macro -16

Micro - 3.9 (3 ticks from 4)

Hope this helps.

Brand new to this site. Just got my FX M3 this afternoon. A bit confused with all the adjustments but starting to get the hang of it. One question I do have for experienced owners though. My rifle has max fill on side of receiver at 250 bar. Tank goes 300 bar or just over. Is max fill the 250? Or do I go by tank? Probably a stupid question but I got to ask. 

Just launched a new, experimental site for tuning recipes for the Impact M3. It's still just a proof of concept, but any constructive criticism or comment is welcome. So head over to http://m3tunes.com/ for a quick look :)

PS! I've already dived into the recipes found in this forum and added those (with credits to source), but feel free to add recipes I've missed. And read the "About ... " and "Getting started" BEFORE sending comments. Thank you.

Just what I was looking for. Thanks

I believe what's more important than tuning specs is pellet speed. Each manufacturer and weight has a sweet spot for a certain velocity. If I can get that, I can tune my M3 to that velocity myself. For example, if I know that the h&n hunter in .25 caliber does best at 890 ft per second, then I can tune to that or if it's 930 per second, I can tune to that, as well. I would like to have a database that shows those data rather than one with specific tunes.
If it only was that simple…
Each and every pellet or slug indeed performs best till a specific maximum speed. Below that maximum speed there are many velocity “zones” for every single individual airgun where the projectile performs well In terms of precision.
it can well be that pellet or slug “A” performs well in precision in gun “B” at a velocity of 830-835 fps and also at 890-895 fps for example. Also more good harmonic settings can be found in that particular gun with that particular pellet or slug. Whereas in gun “C“ the same projectile “A” might perform equally well at different velocity zones. ( I speak about accuracy and not about best expansion settings of best BC performance which is again an other chapter)

In other words you can forget your “database idea“ as each and every individual airgun with each an every individual ammunition has to be tuned individually for optimum performance.

And as stated well earlier in this forum , in case you do not have a clue about plateau setting and from there getting back to best setting for YOUR airgun and YOUR chosen ammunition you lose a great deal of the potential of shooting with airguns. By just copying settings you might get in the ballpark but you have to have a clue about tuning airguns in order to get it right.

In my opinion on every airgun one should have easy acces to the regulator settings and have hammerspring micro adjusment available in order to take full advantage out of the airguns potential. Also ample plenum space is a MUST on modern airguns in order to have options. ( The FX wildcat for example did not have enough plenum space to achieve advertised max. Power output till they came out recently with the Wildcat BT version)
Several FX airguns do have all the bells and whistles making tuning your gun for many different kind of ammunitions possible and that makes me buying them despite the fact that I prefer the more solid built of several other brands (e.g. kalibrgun, AGT, Edgun ). Also please be aware that tuning for slugs is a little more “delicate“ than tuning for pellets. Always ask yourself “what do I want to do with my airgun?” Before you start choosing kaliber , airgun and ammunition . Take it from there with tuning fun for YOUR airgun with YOUR ammunition of choise. Find the harmonic settings and enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: monstr2