• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Your FX Impact .177 Settings

I have the FX Impact MKII Compact in .22 with OEM Power Plenum. I'm looking to add the .177 barrel conversion and would like to know what settings your similar .177 Impact are at. 

I know every gun will be set differently and I've watched the Master Class videos. I'm just looking for a reference and possible starting point for the task of tuning the gun to the new caliber.

Yes, I'd very much like to have the .25, but 99% of all my shooting is done in my suburban backyard. Typically I shoot at 21 yards (comfortable, covered patio table setting) and now that I have a tripod I can move around and assume additional positions that are up to 45 yards gun to target. A .25 would be just too much gun in this setting.

Oh... and what type accuracy do you achieve with your Impact in .177? I've seen some comments that .177 is not particularly a top performer on the Impact platform.

Thanks!

I have found good accuracy with JSB heavies at 830-840 fps, and also around +/- 900 fps . Get a ragged hole at 25m, 5 shot group. Have not really measured that much on longer range, but the last time I shot it on longer range I got it shooting under an inch at 59m (64 yards), where the best groups was about 2 cm. That was with a not perfect setup, where I was shooting out my car window resting on the door, on a none windy day. Did shoot pellets straight from the box. I think most would call that accurate:) 

Do not really know if it nescesarry to adjust down the reg from your .22 setup. But if you do, I think you can start at the lowest setting, which is around 80 bar. I needed 85 bar on mine If wanted it to shoot above 900 fps. I would reccomend degassing the plenum of the gun, when adjusting that low, as it is easy to bottom out against the reg piston. When you do it without pressure, it will be much easier to adjust, and you will feel if you reach the end. If you reach the bottom, it is probably a good idea to turn back half a turn or so, so the piston have some room to move. Then you can increase the pressure later when gun is pressurised if you need to. You may also have to turn in the valve adjuster some, as othervise the gun will shoot to fast, as you basically has to start with slack on the hammer wheel (when adjusting that set screw).

Just be careful with that reg. Adjust it gently down without pressure, and stop immediately if you feel it bottom against the piston. It is probably one of the easiest parts to damage if you do it wrong. It also may take some shots before it settles after adjusting it. Also the gauges are not always accurate, So when mine shows 85 bar, it does not necessary mean your gauge will show the same. So use your chrony numbers when adjusting, so you know where you are in relation to the max speed, at the given pressure. 

Tor47 has giviven you some very good advise. If it where me, id try turning down your hammer adjustment before going thorough the trouble of lower your regulator. There is a very good chance your going to find a hammer setting to give you the speed you'll like. Shooting at the shorter distances in a area with low wind and .177 doesn't warrant the need for a great tune. If you waste a little air, so what. That guns going to get 90+ shoots per fill with the hammer turned down and regulator set high for the .22. Not to mention with the shorter barrel of the compact you maybe running a higher regulator the others are. The small tranfer port of the .177 will offer a regulator like fill.

If you do change the regulator pressure. Change your .22 port to a Huma duo port. With the changed regulator pressure. You may find your .22 will still be use full. 

I wouldnt recommend going to the trouble to source out a CZ or LW barrel for your FX. 

To be fair no other caliber is as accurrate as the .177 at short distance, i.e 25 yards with a quality pellet! you could run it at 12FPE and it should still produce one hole.

The PP can actually be a hinderance on the .177 and in the UK we even reduce the original small (not PP) volume to get better consistency and run the regs at 50-60 bar.

Why does it seem like the FX impacts seem more accurate in 177 in EU countries as compared to ours here in the states? My 177 Impact (no power plenum tried all possible pellet and reg pressures and speed combos) is no where near as accurate as my 22 and 25 Impacts (all separate guns set once for best accuracy with specific pellet or slug and never touch anything again). My MK1 177 Wildcats are significantly more accurate too. I am going to eventually have a LW or Feinwerkbau (not CZ! the extra CZ barrels I have are both 22s oops!) 177 barrel machined for my 177 Impact for sure.