• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Your best Cooking Recipes

I would not eat opossum unless I was starving. But squirrels I would eat. We don't have tree squirrels where I'm at so rabbit is the closest think. I like to cut the meat of the bones and soak it in a little milk and you favorite seasonings for a day or a few hours. Then I like to fry up the meat and a eat it with some mashed tatters. It looks to me that if you froze you squirrels you could try quit a few recipes and find yourself a favorite. Good luck and nice hunting.

Thanks Ninja. I've always thought this one was funny.
Possum and Sweet Potatoes
-1 wild possum, skinned and -spices and herbs
cleaned with the tail on* -crumbled corn bread
-8 sweet potatoes

Rub the possum with the herbs and spices and fill the body cavity with the crumbled corn bread. Place the possum and sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven and place over an open fire for 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from the fire. Throw away the possum and eat the sweet potatoes.

*Never scoop a possum off the road if it has bugs on it. To ensure freshness, run over the possum yourself.

Hahaha, I don't think I'd try the sweet potatoes either!

Wow plinker, in my state that haul is 3 days worth (5 squirrel limit per day)! Tho I haven't tried it yet, a friend's mom told me she used to prepare squirrel just by simmering it in spaghetti sauce. Considering that spaghetti sauce makes every meat I've ever cooked in it tender and delicious, this will be my first experiment come squirrel season this year.
Last year my favorite way to cook them was to pan fry them in butter after a five day soak in Italian salad dressing (got that one from Ted...thanx Ted!). Add sliced potato and onion and viola: delicious. I may substitute bacon grease for the butter this year.

Pressure cooker does wonders to squirrel meat. 30 min at high pressure setting, and you have tender, tasty meat good for any recipe calling for chicken. Plus the broth, great stock for soups of all kinds, no gamey taste whatsoever.
Sigh ... I think I ate all the squirrels around my house. Have not seen one in over a week. At the same time, I see a bunch of roadkilled squirrels within a few blocks from my house. Maybe they got smart? (But how? I never missed!)

I think I'll combine all the great ideas! I'll soak in buttermilk for a day, then sprinkle a dry Italian seasoning pack on the squirrel and pan fry in butter to sear the outside. Then I'll place it in a crock pot or pressure cooker with spaghetti sauce and sliced mushrooms and let it simmer until done. That combination of everyone's suggestion has got to be good. I may even leave the tails on in respect of the possum (no Way) hahaha! 

Slow cooked Hare:

Brine: Dissolve 1/2c salt and 1c vinegar in 1 litre of water. Put cleaned portioned hare (or rabbit) pieces in a container and cover with the brine. Top up with extra water to ensure all the meat is covered in the solution.Leave 10-12hrs in the fridge. Note: If not intending to cook the Hare after 12hrs drain of the brine and keep the hare in the fridge till ready to cook. 

Ingredients:
1 Hare skinned, cleaned and portioned
1 large onion diced
2 cloves crushed garlic
3 rashers bacon, diced chunky
3 carrots
2 stalks celery
1/2 c red wine
1 Tbsp Vege stock
Fresh herbs; thyme, oregano, bay leaves, rosemary

Method: Brown onion, garlic and onion in frying pan and put into crockpot.
Add peeled roughly chopped carrots and celery.
Rinse off the marinated pieces of Hare and pat dry with paper towels.
In a hot frying pan brown the meat in small batches and transfer to the crockpot

When almost finished sealing the last batch of meat, pour the wine into the pan to deglaze the pan and reduce the
liquid by half and then put it all into the crockpot. 

Sprinkle the vege stock and herbs over the meat and add enough water to just cover the meat.

Cook on high for 3-4hrs or till the meat is falling away from the bone.Slightly thicken the sauce with a paste of
cornflour and water. Serve hot with a side of mash, roasties or new potatoes.

Reactions: Cookie