Your 1st PCP

My first pcp was a Eun Jin Sumatra .20 I bought from John Burroughs out of Tarzana California.. John is the grandson of Edgar Rice Burroughs who invented Tarzan. If I recall correctly he was the importer from Korea at the time and actually brought them into the country. He helped me a great deal getting started in pcp's and is a great person.
The rifle. It was loud, heavy, accurate and prior to that all I had were pump up's like Banjamins, Sheridans.. Crosman etc etc, CO2 and break barrels for the prior 25 years.
I bought it in 99 or 2000?

How many of you dove into PCP with both feet on a $1,500 or more rifle or started with something cheaper at first?
Started with a Benji Akela, a week later I bought an AEA Varmint. Not more than a couple months later I had my AEA Element and a PRod. Then a month after that my FX Dreamline arrived and finally about 3 months later I took delivery of my Impact M3. Haven't looked at anything else very seriously since. Need to get the Akela to Mr Rich to work his magic on her to settler her down.

Reactions: orangeokie
How many of you dove into PCP with both feet on a $1,500 or more rifle or started with something cheaper at first?
I started with an Air Venturi Avenger and a cheap Amazon hand pump. Already had Crosman Premier Hollow Point pellets from Walmart. The reason I started cheap was I didn't know if PCP was for me. Three months later, I started buying FX guns and JSB pellets. The Avenger was not used at all so I sold it to a friend at a super low price. For me, the Avenger served the purpose of convincing me to get into PCP. Yes, it is a much better gun than its price suggests! For me, skipping the "starter gun" would have saved some money.
This question is really a financial one. If you know you want to buy a PCP and your budget allows $2K or more, getting a gun from a premium brand is the way to go. One might ask why 2K+ when an excellent gun can be had for half that. True, but you need to allow for the air source (compressor, tank, etc) and optics. Don't worry if you can't justify a high budget, a setup with a good "entry level" gun (many to choose from today!) and other low cost accessories will provide equal enjoyment.

Reactions: Cody01
Not to many guns were priced at 1500 bux when I started. Think the Edgun Ted shot was 1k new. Price rose quickly up to 2k with a waiting list. Back then the demand was so high if u bought one and shot it for yr or two you could sell it for the same or a couple benji's less.

That's when the yellow forum ruled and will never be duplicated.

Ok..first PcP, Bam 50 (200bux). I posted a pic on the 600 dollar or less post recently.

My first was an ataman ap16. I have much more time invested into pistol disciplines and my first air gun was a crosman 1322. Did lots of research on co2, hand pump, and pcp before deciding the ap16 as being the best choice for both target shooting and small game hunting/pesting. Shortly after I got a prod to accompany the ap16 on backpack trips.

My kids bought me a Benjamin hand pump helping me to slide into PCPs back in 2019 when I retired. I later bought a Prod. It was a great first PCP. Accurate, adequately powerful, easy to tune. Good way to learn how PCPs work. I still have it and am working on a custom stock for it. Shot it a little just yesterday.

Next came an Avenger, then a cheaper Chinese hand pump, then a YH, then a used SCBA tank. Then three P35s. I really like bullpups, especially short light and accurate bullpups. All three of them didn't cost $1500. The 22 is so accurate I am questioning my need for a high dollar PCP. I don't see how they will do better than three pellets in exactly the same hole at 25 yards. None of them are as light as a P35 either.

First PCP was an FX Cyclone in .22 cal bought in 2007. I think all in with scope and hand pump I spent $1350. The difference between shooting this versus my HW97 was shocking. Especially for the squirrels. I miss that gun.

DSC00553.JPG
DSC00557.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Loff and Cody01
Just got started down this road a few months ago and it spiraled rather quickly. Having a tank or a good pump is very important if you really want to use your gun enough for it to be worth the money invested. I purchased a Hatsan bullboss 22 cal to get started and had a FX Wildcat mk3 BT on order within a week of having the Bullboss. With my lack of research on the Wildcat I found myself disliking the safety location so I ended up with an Impact M3 in 25 cal and I think I am fully satisfied with what it offers for my use.

Reactions: L.Leon and Cody01