• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Your 1st PCP

Started with the best one I could find...Theoben Rapid 12 in 2004 ordered from the factory...Steve from Pomona Air spent hours with me on the phone answering my questions as I knew nothing at all about PCPs. I don't know if he is still around but he was very helpful and patient...still have the Rapid. I think it was $1500...It shot a sub half inch 50y group first day out!
Yes he is...

Reactions: RM100GUY
Benjamin Marauder .22. Before I had kids so at least 4 years ago probably 6-7 years now? Geez that flew. Got it on sale for $350. Put way too much money into it. Wish I never sold it. Knew it inside and out. Took me quite a few guns until I bought a real quality gun. I do think it's worth the money to buy quality first but I learned alot.

Webley Venom Viper in .22. I got in a pinch for money when my kids were little and had to sell it. I still miss it.
I had
Webley Venom Viper in .22. I got in a pinch for money when my kids were little and had to sell it. I still miss it.
I second that
First gun was venom viper my pal had fx2000 bought same day.
Sold it and bought rapid mk2 and then the weight hit me lol
My pal still has his fx2000 and still shoots as accurate too this day.
I regret selling mine and I paid full price for it.

Reactions: EdinGa
I can't remember if I responded to this one yet😅
So🥴when I got it vs now

20230328_203252.jpg

20230131_162734.jpg

My kids bought me a Benjamin hand pump helping me to slide into PCPs back in 2019 when I retired. I later bought a Prod. It was a great first PCP. Accurate, adequately powerful, easy to tune. Good way to learn how PCPs work. I still have it and am working on a custom stock for it. Shot it a little just yesterday.

Next came an Avenger, then a cheaper Chinese hand pump, then a YH, then a used SCBA tank. Then three P35s. I really like bullpups, especially short light and accurate bullpups. All three of them didn't cost $1500. The 22 is so accurate I am questioning my need for a high dollar PCP. I don't see how they will do better than three pellets in exactly the same hole at 25 yards. None of them are as light as a P35 either.
I like how you got your start over my method. I retired in 2019 only to get handed divorce papers @ a year later. So I opted to go back to work to pay off a new mortgage and buy toys. While I'm not a first time PCP owner just yet, it appears I'm headed down a road you're somewhat familiar with. Rather than starting with a P35, I opted to let Brian at Veradium Air work me up a M16A. I'd imagine it will finally ship out this week. My lady received the Wildcat MK3 BT she ordered, something very similar to the P35 but with a huge shot count since she ordered it with a 580cc bottle. The Wildcat is NOT left hand friendly so I'll never own one. If the P35 had a bottle mod, I might be interested because it looks like the mag wouldn't be in your face if you were a lefty.

The P35 mag is flush so it is not in the face of a right handed or left handed shooter at all. I think the SPA mag holds 11 in 177, 10 in 22 and 8 in 25. I prefer CARM mags because they are easier to load and seem gentler to pellets. They hold one less.

No bottle but if you keep the power reasonable, the shot count shouldn't be a issue. I get about 100 shots/fill on my 19 fpe 177. The 22 is less, about 60 and the detuned 25 is about 70. But if I go ~10 shots past the reg setting the POI doesn't change significantly at short distance. My 22 is shooting H&N 21 grain at about 835 fps. I was accurate with JSB 18 grain with about 900 fps velocity. If I turned the reg down a little I could get ~850 fps on the 18s and at least 70 shots/fill. My goal is consistently to have velocity around 850 fps on an accurate pellet. I could also shoot lighter pellets in the 22, it seemed to be accurate with Crosmans but the velocity was really high - it would need probably at least half a turn down (clockwise) on the regulator. But shot count would get up there closer to the 177. Even with a 14.3 grain pellet going 850 or so it would have plenty of power for squirrels. I've taken 15 with my Prod at about 100 fps less velocity on that pellet and 14.66 grain H&Ns.

Bottle guns can, of course, also have reasonable power tunes and really high shot counts. But 50-100 shots per fill isn't bad. For a short, light, inexpensive bullpup. My opinion is there is too much focus these days on fpe. It doesn't take even 30 fpe to make reliably clean kills on small game, even with body shots. For target shooting and plinking, power demands are even less. But the 25 caliber P35 can probably make 50 fpe. But the shot count wouldn't be very high (I estimate 50). Anyway, if you are not focused on high power I am pretty sure the P35 can be tuned to give you 75-100 shots/fill which makes refilling during most of my shooting sessions unnecessary.

The P35 mag is flush so it is not in the face of a right handed or left handed shooter at all. I think the SPA mag holds 11 in 177, 10 in 22 and 8 in 25. I prefer CARM mags because they are easier to load and seem gentler to pellets. They hold one less.

No bottle but if you keep the power reasonable, the shot count shouldn't be a issue. I get about 100 shots/fill on my 19 fpe 177. The 22 is less, about 60 and the detuned 25 is about 70. But if I go ~10 shots past the reg setting the POI doesn't change significantly at short distance. My 22 is shooting H&N 21 grain at about 835 fps. I was accurate with JSB 18 grain with about 900 fps velocity. If I turned the reg down a little I could get ~850 fps on the 18s and at least 70 shots/fill. My goal is consistently to have velocity around 850 fps on an accurate pellet. I could also shoot lighter pellets in the 22, it seemed to be accurate with Crosmans but the velocity was really high - it would need probably at least half a turn down (clockwise) on the regulator. But shot count would get up there closer to the 177. Even with a 14.3 grain pellet going 850 or so it would have plenty of power for squirrels. I've taken 15 with my Prod at about 100 fps less velocity on that pellet and 14.66 grain H&Ns.

Bottle guns can, of course, also have reasonable power tunes and really high shot counts. But 50-100 shots per fill isn't bad. For a short, light, inexpensive bullpup. My opinion is there is too much focus these days on fpe. It doesn't take even 30 fpe to make reliably clean kills on small game, even with body shots. For target shooting and plinking, power demands are even less. But the 25 caliber P35 can probably make 50 fpe. But the shot count wouldn't be very high (I estimate 50). Anyway, if you are not focused on high power I am pretty sure the P35 can be tuned to give you 75-100 shots/fill which makes refilling during most of my shooting sessions unnecessary.
Great summary listing what the P35 can do. Let me get the M16A in hand and see if I'm left wanting more.

My first pcp....
Way back in 1992 my shooting buddy and I each purchased identical .22 ARS Hunting Master. Sure did make a lot of noise! We didn't know a damn thing about fill pressures or power curves. We would shoot the 3000psi scuba tank downtown 1000psi and be totally ignorant of the shot count
Then in 1995 I got a Falcon FN19 Raptor and my education started!

I had a Crosman 2260. Bought a HiPac for it, added a steel breech, Biohazard modded and pinned the valve, bought a Hill hand pump and I was in the PCP game. That was a lot of fun, accurate and would do 30 fpe. Then I converted that one with a Discovery tube and valve, and put the 2260 tube/Biohazard valve/HiPac in my 2400KT with an 18" barrel.
Then a QB79 with a Ninja hpa tank, regged at 1100.

Eventually I bought a P-rod and later still an M-rod. Those are lots of fun, but I also still own and enjoy the homebuilts.