• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Youg Heng Needs for first time buyer and noob

I'm interested in getting the youg heng pcp compressor. I'm curious on what I need to fill my benjamin marauder directly and what would I need to fill a small benjamin tank for fills out in the field. I'm still pretty new to PCP airrifles so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

I know there is a lot of post, but hopefully all the needed information can be in one post.

You will need synthetic compressor oil to put in the compressor (they ship dry). Depending on the fill needs of your gun you may need a male ended forster bit to screw onto your probe. If your gun doesnt use a fill probe (my beni wildfire uses just the male fosters) then you wont need the adaptor. You will need a bucket for water (i use a 5 gallon plastic). When you first get the compressor hook up the water lines (inlet from water pump to compressor head goes in the bottom outlet from compressor head to bucket goes on top. Hook up the fill hose and any other needed fittings. Put oil in to the fill mark. Put the water pump in the water and the return line. Start up the water pump and check that all the air has passed (water coming out of the return line). Make sure the high pressure bleed screw is backed out and start up the compressor. Run it for 10 to 15 mins (or until the temp reaches 50 deg celcius). Shut off the compressor and leave the water running. After the compressor has cooled down to starting temp start it up again and run for 5 to 10 mins. Shut it down. Let it come down to room temp and shut off the water. Pull the water pump and return line and drain them. Change the oil. Refill. Now your ready to start using it. Follow the same steps as far as waterpump startup. Attache the fill hose to your gun. Srart up the compressor and close the air bleed valve. Once the gun reaches pressure open the bleed screw quickly and then shut off the compressor. Allow the water pump to run until the temp gets back down to starting temp. Then pull and drain the waterpump. Clear as mud?

The oil is for the crank and lower end of the unit. It "should not" come in contact with the second stage air but it is not worth the risk (explosion). I used Ingrosol Rand full duty synthetic compressor oil for my first couple of changes. Then I switched to the Royal Purple full synth compressor oil. Make sure it is compressor oil and go with synthetic. A little more money in the short term but should keep the compressor running longer and safer.

@stefanjan, good explanation. One thing I would change though is how long you run it when you start it up. I recommend only running it for a minute, no more than two unloaded, just to get things a little warmed up. The reason for that is when you run it unloaded, the first stage can get very hot, much hotter than it does when you are filling a tank. So like you said, start it unloaded (vent valve open), run it for a minute, then shut vent valve and start filling your tank.

Also, after you are done and the compressor is off and vented to zero, and the tank valve is shut, leave the tank hooked up, but tank valve shut, compressor vent valve open (vented), and start the compressor like that and run it for a minute or two. This gives it time to vent out any moisture in the system. Once that is done, shut the compressor off, allow cooling to run until it cools down, then you're done.

Good recommendation on the 100% synthetic compressor oil. That's a must. And whatever you do, don't over fill the oil...