YOU LUCKY SQUIRREL SHOOTERS, KILLERS. But maybe not?

I have hunted squirrels in the woods but I take a lot more from my yard. I'd prefer to go hunt them in the woods but haven't found any good places to do so near where I live. Need to keep looking. At home my dog watches the oak trees for squirrels and lets me know when she sees one. Then we have to hope to get a shot and that I make the shot. I eat them and I think they are tasty but I could certainly afford to just buy meat. But I like cleaning them to see better where my shot went. I keep a few notes on each squirrel killed with an airgun. I bought my first PCP in 2020 after I retired and shot my first squirrel with it in December of 2020. Not quite 3 years ago. So far I've shot 54. All greys. They average a bit over 12 ounces weight. It's fun to watch them when they are not in season but they have damaged my gutters chewing on them and also my aluminum outdoor furniture. Their teeth grow constantly and they have to chew things to wear them down.

Not sure about a comparison to fishing, however. I live on a lake and can easily fish off my dock or take the boat I keep there out. Fishing for me is more like taking squirrels from my backyard oaks. Fish from the lake in my backyard or squirrels from the oak trees in my backyard.

If you lived on a farm all your life , you wouldn’t think they are so cool. They do a lot of damage on corn and soybeans. Here they are a nuisance and need to be controlled. They are good to eat and the best hunting a pellet shooter could ever want.

IMG_0377.png

I read so many posts about shooting squirrels on this forum and wonder why such a big deal? Well I now know you all have serious problems with them. My wife is from Louisiana, I'm a Yankee in Washington...sucks I know.not that's she's from LA but that WA now sucks. However...the squirrels here on the Olympic Peninsula are small and present no problems. I, as a kid shot one and tanned it and made a puppet for my kids.

You guys who have huge squirrels and can eat them is difficult for me to understand. Everyone I know say they taste good but is it worth such a small chunk of meat? I guess so according to my wife. They are protected here in WA.

Some here on this forum stated that you've killed 20 this year...I'm interested in knowing who has killed how many this year? How can these critters come back with you few who knock em off? :)

Just having fun on AGN. Nothing to thak serious tonight.

View attachment 414518

View attachment 414519

You can hunt these in Washington. Dusky grouse, sooty grouse, spruce grouse, ruffed grouse, snowshoe hare, and cottontail rabbit may be hunted with an air rifle no smaller than .22 caliber and no larger than .25 caliber.
Along with a pretty good list of other invasive species and fur bearing critters, and non game critters. You do need a small game license.

Because of the local predators, a nearby logging road, and -40 F in the winter, my two cats are indoors only. However, they do a great job alerting me to squirrels out in the yard. All I have to do is keep the blinds open, and my rifle ready. Of course, for any critters that manage to get inside, the cats make short work of them. Always fun to watch them tag-team mice.

We live in rural S E Oklahoma with Oak and Pine trees on the property. Several years ago a Gray squirrel shorted out a transformer by chewing on a 220 Volt incoming power line to my house. I was informed by the lineman who made the repair that it was a common occurrence. This was the second squirrel caused outage within 6 mounts. I have been harvesting squirrels with a suppressed air rifle since to keep numbers down. The lineman also stated that Gray squirrels were the main problem, not the Fox squirrels. We enjoy eating them. In this area they can have up to 3 litters a year if food is available. This year due to drought their were few Acorns, so fewer Squirrels. We enjoy watching all the wildlife here and deal with the problems as they occur. db

Reactions: cross hair