You all know that I'm a lover and not a killer but...

sometimes an opportunity presents itself so perfectly you just have take advantage of it.

Standing at the kitchen window this morning washing my hands and I see movement out the window by the garden fence. It's a rabbit! I do not have a true hate for these things but over the past couple years they have done some damage to my yard. During the winter they stripped the bark off some young fruit trees and nibbled my young blueberry plants to the dirt! Oh No. It's ON now baby!

I thinned a few last year and had my eye on some this year but I think the word got around to avoid hanging around my place too long because I would only see them moving from one neighbors yard to the other using my yard as a highway instead of a rest stop.

Well I was on my game this morning and quickly slipped out to the shop and grabbed my Streamline 22 Cal and dropped 3 pellets in a magazine as I worked my way out to spy if the rabbit was still around. It was a young rabbit frolicking around and I was able to slip to 20 yards away from it using obstacles in the yard to conceal my movements. It must have thought it was safe up against the fence line because it just froze and watched me. I slowly deployed the bipod legs and readied the rifle to shoot while I estimated the distance in my head. I have the rifle zeroed at 30 and I estimated the rabbit at 20 so I knew the POI would be slightly low. I peered through the scope and found the target and dialed the image into focus. The target remained still and I ran through the procedure through my mind once again in that split second and eased the trigger back.

Pfft POP! Spun it around 180 as it slimmed into a lifeless heap. Not a single twitch, stiff leg or anything, just a dead rabbit.

Retrieved it, took a picture and proceeded to clean and cut it up. It's in some salt water waiting to get cooked either tomorrow or the next. Not sure how I should go about cooking it. I did a sort of stew last time. Maybe I'll try a curry? Thanks for reading

1595389820_11583818055f17b77c904bf8.57015307.jpeg

Crock pot is your friend! Nice story! I mostly slow cook mine in a broth, pull the meat while the broth is thickening to gravy in a saucepan and serve over mashed spuds. My bunny-hugger farm girl wife loves 'em! Go figure-they do wreak a lot of havoc on crops.

And yes I wear gloves and inspect the livers carefully-been eating wild rabbit for 10 years now and no ill effects...except I have gradually developed a craving for carrots....

i've never made a curry, but i assume the cooking process is similar to stewing to get all of those flavors mixed together?

...i may be stealing this idea from you. very interested in how it tastes if you go this route first.

I didn't make a curry with the rabbit. I did a basic salt and pepper and garlic powder pan fried in some oil. Browned it up and added some onions. After the onions softened up I added some chicken broth and simmered in that awhile then added some fresh oregano and thyme. Simmered down until everything was deep golden and thick. We had it with crusty bread and root beer! So tasty!

I got the curried rabbit idea from a restaurant we are at in San Francisco called Kin Khao. The curry rabbit was absolutely perfect in every aspect. I would like to be able to duplicate it at home but I have not actually tried. http://www.kinkhao.com

1595543292_11377314735f1a0efc7fa303.89076115.jpeg
1595543292_2431952485f1a0efcc2ea23.36148109.jpeg