Yong Heng vs GX CS4

I have both. I would 109% recommended the GX over the Young Heng.

Less noise
No external water tank
Less Noise
Can be driven off your car battery
LESS NOISE
Internal water separator
LESS NOISE!!!
Cooler air into your tanks and guns =less thermal shift as the air cools.

I am not a fan of loud machines.

Own both currently...Yong Heng will never get used again.

Rebuilt the Yong Heng, not hard to do. Parts for the GX cs4, including brand new complete pistons are available. Haven't needed to Rebuild one, but could if needed.

If you need to fill BIG bottles, Yong Heng for speed, but set up, noise, and overall mess of it I won't use mine anymore. And with the CS4, no real reason for a bottle anyway.

The GX will fill bottles though and it's not very loud, and everything is self contained. Plus I can take it with me and run it off my cars battery if needed...negating any need for a large bottle.

I have both. I would 109% recommended the GX over the Young Heng.

Less noise
No external water tank
Less Noise
Can be driven off your car battery
LESS NOISE
Internal water separator
LESS NOISE!!!
Cooler air into your tanks and guns =less thermal shift as the air cools.

I am not a fan of loud machines.
Jim, how much slower is the GX compared to your YH if you wanted to top off a SCBA from say, 3500 to 4500? Not that I'm in a big hurry these days, just curious. My AV4500 is giving me fits again after replacing the crank housing and the high-pressure seals. Just looking down the road in case I decide on a replacement. Although noisy, the YH has had a pretty good run for lots of shooters.
Merry Christmas Jim and everyone else on the forum.
jk

@jking - as an alternative to another compressor, how about another tank? Then it really does not matter how long a fill takes as you can be filling one while shooting with the other. Then your Shoebox would be all the speed you need . . .

I know how well this works as I just bought a big 9L tank to use pretty much as my own personal air bank to keep my Guppy filled and in use. The Guppy had been working great for me on it's own, but the addition of two higher pressure guns (the Huben and the Sidewinder) were taxing it a bit. I found that I could shoot fine with just it, but extended sessions left me with the tank well depleted, and then after filling it up - and then filling up the big 580cc tank on the Sidewinder off the recently filled Guppy - that I was basically having to fill it twice. Now I top it up using the 9L tank, as raising the Guppy 500 psi only drops the 9L by 100 psi, so I can reasonably refill the the Guppy a few times on one refill of the 9L.

Then I can refill one while shooting with the other - but I've found it works great to fill both at the same time with a cascade splitter. It is real slow on the refill that way (4.5 psi per minute, as I am filling ~11L of tank space), but what do I care? I only do that when I'm all done shooting, so I let the box run for an hour and both tanks are full and ready to go - and of course with the Shoebox there is no need to hang around while it runs so I do something else (like watching football). It works great.

I’ve filled 3 and a half 60 minute Scba bottles from empty now off my gxcs4. It takes about 5 hours per bottle, but I give it occasional breaks and blow off the condensed water every 20-30 minutes.

I’ve also been filling my guns directly off the pump.

About 1500 psi into the fourth bottle I started to get a clicking and then a loud screeching noise out of the pump, so I tore it apart and regreased it and so far all seems to be OK again. I believe the noise was coming from a dry bearing on the crank shaft.

Some here have mentioned a possible design flaw with the grease feed. There is a rubber baffle in the grease pot that apparently prevents grease from feeding. I can now state from experience that you do not want to simply remove that baffle and use the grease pot as before. Without it in place the pump will quickly suck up all the grease in the pot. I think I have worked out a simple and effective solution to this however. You are supposed to add one full turns worth of grease from the grease pot screw every 4-6 hours. So my solution is to remove the grease pot. Screw the pot screw all the way in. Back it off one full turn and then fill the pot full in that state. That way it will feed the pump one full turn worth of grease and no more.

Jim, how much slower is the GX compared to your YH if you wanted to top off a SCBA from say, 3500 to 4500? Not that I'm in a big hurry these days, just curious. My AV4500 is giving me fits again after replacing the crank housing and the high-pressure seals. Just looking down the road in case I decide on a replacement. Although noisy, the YH has had a pretty good run for lots of shooters.
Merry Christmas Jim and everyone else on the forum.
jk

I have not timed them side by side. The CS4 is deceptively quiet. It pumps at least 2x faster than the CS3 does. I trust the shut off mechanism on the CS4, my YH is flaky on the shut off and the YH tries to vibrate off the table when in use. I just bought a new tank from Hatsan, so the YH will be brought out to fill it from zero. Then it will be back to the CS4.

Reactions: SteveV
Merry Christmas to you all and thanks for the feedback.
Alan, Haha, I'm tank rich, two 45min SCBA's tethered together and a 300cuft steel cylinder. All full right now and not a whole lot of shooting recently.
Yeah, I don't foresee any new compressor in the near future for sure and I'm actually looking forward to trying the slowed down F10 SB.
In the meantime, time I'll continue trouble-shooting the AV.

I’ve filled 3 and a half 60 minute Scba bottles from empty now off my gxcs4. It takes about 5 hours per bottle, but I give it occasional breaks and blow off the condensed water every 20-30 minutes.

About 1500 psi into the fourth bottle I started to get a clicking and then a loud screeching noise out of the pump, so I tore it apart and regreased it and so far all seems to be OK again. I believe the noise was coming from a dry bearing on the crank shaft.

Some here have mentioned a possible design flaw with the grease feed. There is a rubber baffle in the grease pot that apparently prevents grease from feeding. I can now state from experience that you do not want to simply remove that baffle and use the grease pot as before. Without it in place the pump will quickly suck up all the grease in the pot. I think I have worked out a simple and effective solution to this however. You are supposed to add one full turns worth of grease from the grease pot screw every 4-6 hours. So my solution is to remove the grease pot. Screw the pot screw all the way in. Back it off one full turn and then fill the pot full in that state. That way it will feed the pump one full turn worth of grease and no more.

Hello! What valve do you need to fill up a SCUBA tank from your GXCS4? I recently picked a GXCS4 up for filling up my paintball HPA tanks. I was hoping to use the compressor to fill a SCUBA tank and then use the SCUBA tank to top off my paintball tanks while I'm out playing in the middle of nowhere. However, I'm having difficulty finding what kind of valve I need for the SCUBA tank that would allow me to fill it film the GXCS4. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks so much.

Hello! What valve do you need to fill up a SCUBA tank from your GXCS4? I recently picked a GXCS4 up for filling up my paintball HPA tanks. I was hoping to use the compressor to fill a SCUBA tank and then use the SCUBA tank to top off my paintball tanks while I'm out playing in the middle of nowhere. However, I'm having difficulty finding what kind of valve I need for the SCUBA tank that would allow me to fill it film the GXCS4. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks so much.
Your GX CS4 should come with a female Foster quick connect. Scuba tanks typically have either DIN or yoke fittings on them. SCBA tanks typically have a CGA 347 fitting. Scuba tanks are what divers use and SCBA tanks are what firefighters use. For airgunning SCBA tanks are much better, although either one will work.

So if you have a decommissioned fire fighting SCBA cylinder then you need one of these.

If you have a scuba tank with female threads on the valve then you need one of these.

And if you have a scuba tank with no threads and an o-ring on the valve then you need one of these.

Lastly, you don’t actually need it, but I would also get a male to male foster adapter as it will just make everything a little easier.

If you don’t know exactly what you have then just take a picture of the valve and post it here and we can tell you.

Reactions: Marschb