Yong Heng popped the pressure gauge

I recently (last week) got my Yong Heng compressor and its taken me a bit to gather all the necessary fittings etc to hook up to my Benjamin tank and FX Impact. I successfully filled the Benjamin 0-3200 and used the tank to top off my Impact. 

I went to top off the Benji tank and during the fill from the compressor I heard a "pop" like a cork gun.... not loud but noticeable over the noise of the compressor. I shut the compressor off and noticed the rubber plug on the gauge was missing and air was leaking out. 

During a check, I flipped the compressor back on and I can get the gauge to about 2000psi and then the noticeable hiss and escaping air comes out of the hole on the gauge. I've ordered a new gauge and figured to share my experience here while I wait. 

1) I wasn't aware there was a burst disc on the gauge....?

2) I'm trying to figure out what caused the problem.... Did I open the tank valve too soon before the compressor pressure was higher than the tank causing a back flow and over pressure....? Maybe I need a check valve in-line...?

Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated

Thanks for all the input. I gotta figure it was a faulty gauge because I rehearsed the fill procedures many times before actually going live with the fills. Also, I kinda don't think it was a back pressure issue since I don't think I was early opening my tank valve and I also figure the compressor check valve is downstream of the gauge (is this right?). Anyway I'm considering installing a check valve where I now have a "male-male" (this is still known as a gender changer right) foster fitting connecting my hoses, and this should work since both my tank and the compressor have bleed valves to decompress before disconnection.

All fittings and torqueable things have been checked and were tight.

Wasn't the burst disc but I did check it anyway and also learned how to remove the inner race holding the disc in place

Anyway, I ordered replacement(s) gauges from Aliexpress and I'll update once it arrives. Thanks dhill for the assurance it has happened to another besides me and for the advice of using a plug bolt as a temp. I kinda hesitate to do this since I believe the thread is NPT which means it's flared right? I'd do it if I was in a remote corner of Alaska and needed a fill to kill tonites meal....