• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Yong Heng Oil Turns Black Fast!

That's almost unbelievable!
Unbelievable, yet true, your eyes aren't tricking you. I only fill guns, don't even own an SCBA tank. Pre-chill my 5-gallon water bucket with ice bottles for 20 minutes, then run water pump to pre-chill room temperature compressor till digital temp reads in 18s-degree C. Start external fan on high, the air-fill session begins, 45-minute breaks between guns with fan and water pump on replacing water bottles, as needed. Two to three minutes per gun since I only shoot down to regulator setting, only time I break 50-degrees C is when filling a gun from empty. After filling session, leave water pump and external fan on till all is cool to touch. Freely admit, like Gerry52, I baby mine, but heat is the enemy and I fight the good fight. WM

Reactions: BluegrassBill2020
Unbelievable, yet true, your eyes aren't tricking you. I only fill guns, don't even own an SCBA tank. Pre-chill my 5-gallon water bucket with ice bottles for 20 minutes, then run water pump to pre-chill room temperature compressor till digital temp reads in 18s-degree C. Start external fan on high, the air-fill session begins, 45-minute breaks between guns with fan and water pump on replacing water bottles, as needed. Two to three minutes per gun since I only shoot down to regulator setting, only time I break 50-degrees C is when filling a gun from empty. After filling session, leave water pump and external fan on till all is cool to touch. Freely admit, like Gerry52, I baby mine, but heat is the enemy and I fight the good fight. WM
Good for you. I baby mine also but not to that extent. I'll give it a try.

Reactions: BluegrassBill2020
Good for you. I baby mine also but not to that extent. I'll give it a try.
Can't swear my practices help oil to remain clear, you've seen the oil, here's a pic of my second hour-meter, initial one's batteries dying @ 7 hours run-time, both set to register strongest vibrations only. I'd say there's nothing to lose with a little experimenting. Best of Luck, WM
IMG_20230311_234310.jpg

Reactions: Ponz
What temperature do you guys feel is too hot for the yong heng?

Does yong heng even post a not to exceed temperature?
Seems like I remember seeing 70C in the "manual" ? but I'm just working off memory so no promises. Mine's never been that hot. I remember hitting high 50's once, but that was without water cooling and the water was lukewarm to start.
This winter, with water from the spigot on the side of my house I'll top out around 46-48C after about 5 minutes, and it won't go any higher, and that's running it for as long as 20 minutes. I'm using the same water the whole run time too, not draining the outlet water like some do.

In doubt on the units onboard temp you can get one of these and check it to see if its anywhere close to true readings ..

You haye to think it shows 50c when in reality it maybe 120c ..lol

I use this one and been good and easy shirt pocket size handy.. used ot along side guys with the better taytek branded .

https://www.harborfreight.com/infrared-thermometer-93984.html.

Catch coupond day and may get one for less. Then you may already have one around?

Also restrictions like air flow in the unit when pumping could cause premature fails or quick burnt oil..

Good luck

In doubt on the units onboard temp you can get one of these and check it to see if its anywhere close to true readings ..

You haye to think it shows 50c when in reality it maybe 120c ..lol

I use this one and been good and easy shirt pocket size handy.. used ot along side guys with the better taytek branded .

https://www.harborfreight.com/infrared-thermometer-93984.html.

Catch coupond day and may get one for less. Then you may already have one around?

Also restrictions like air flow in the unit when pumping could cause premature fails or quick burnt oil..

Good luck
The question is - where on the compressor do you aim it??

I have always used Nuvair 751 in my YH. I change the oil once a year. I filled guns with it for a few months but then I got a SCBA tank, expired, and now I fill the tank and fill the guns from that. I fill it about once a month and it takes about 15 minutes so I am putting about 3 hours run time on it between oil changes. Probably conservative but that is what I do with oil in my vehicles (every 5K miles with pure synthetic). It got to where it would not refill from ~3000 to ~4000 in 15 to 20 minutes and I took it apart to see if I could find a problem. Didn't really see anything except some black soot like deposit on the high pressure piston which I wiped off. But I replaced the O-ring that is next to the reed valve. Refill times are back down to 15 minutes to 300 bar. I use a computer radiator with a couple fans on the water and temperature stays below 60 C in the winter with no ice. In the summer I put in 3 soda bottles of ice.

My YH oil is not as black as my vehicles oil when I change it but it isn't amber like it starts out either. I don't think oil color is a good indicator of when it needs change. Run time is a better way to decide when to change it.

At the piston head where the temp sensor is placed.

I actually aim the fan a bit lower at the opening to the electric motor.

I have 2 temp sensors on my YH, one on the cylinder head and one touching the electric motor. Because I use fresh water or not recirculate coolant especially in the summer my temp never gets much above 40C. The electric motor gets above 70c after about 15 minutes in the summer so I let the fan cool it down for 10-15 minutes for every 15 minute run in the summer and 20 minute run in the winter. I know the electric motor can operate up to 100C but I didn't want to push it.

I too haven't noticed any decrease in fill times, luckily. I'm now using Seco500 but have been through all the rest as well.

I have less than 20 minutes on this latest oil change before it turned black.
Same its black my seco lube right now its got bout 30 mins on it but you cant even see the red on the dot its that shaded over. I broke it in with husky full synthetic for an hour before though.

Well as of today its been like a few weeks scince I ran the compressor an I noticed the oil window I can actually see thru a bit now it seems like the dark particles that are in the oil all settled down an its clear im at 1.6 hours run time changed oil only once an that was after the first hour. But take a look at this picture it went from black to seethru in a couple weeks.

das.jpg

f4.jpg