Yong Heng Oil Turns Black Fast!

Serious question:
No matter which type lubricant I've used and please believe I have tried several, so please don't ask. The oil/lube turns BLACK way too fast. This past oil/lube change I've done nothing but fill my rifle about 10 times with an average fill time of less than a minute each.
I'm certain the compressor is on a flat surface, and I am filling to the top of the red dot as suggested.
Is it possible I'm overfilling or underfilling or maybe something else is askew?
From the manual:

Filtration and maintenance: The ISO VG46 hydraulic oil should be changed as soon as it changes color, each fill of oil is about 16 ounces. Change the hydraulic oil every 50 hours filling.
******************************************************************************************************************
When I fill to the specified mark on the sight glass, she only takes 10/11 ounces.

So! Fill with 16 ounces or go by the sight glass??

Sorry for beating this dead horse.

Thanks - Ponz

Sounds to me like you have an oil and combustion thing going on and then it leaches back down in the crankcase as slightly burnt oil. You might want to check everything on the high-pressure side, seals and any reed valves that might not be holding. My AV has done that before but in my circumstance, I also had some black slug building up in the filter tower.

Reactions: qball
Ponz,
Mine takes 10 ounces, to top of red circle in sight glass. Husky Synthetic Blend Air Compressor Oil was used for one hour break-in, was clear, turned grey. Husky Full Synthetic Air Compressor Oil has 26 hours, still clear as it came from bottle. Figure break-in oil removed contaminants from manufacturing process maybe you had higher than normal levels. Purchased SecoLube500 for annual oil changes from now on. I only fill guns, max time 2-3 minutes each, rarely over 50 degrees C, use ice bottles in water and external fan. WM

My Yong Heng was purchased in Sept. My log book says I'm up to 7.7hrs.

Seco500 and oil gets dark quick, and has since I took it out of the box. I've been following it more closely (assuming it's gonna croak) for the last couple hrs and it was nearly black after 50 minutes most recently. And not 50 minutes at once but 5 different runs, over a course of a few weeks (10 min run, then 7, 8, 10, 15 and none in the same day). The change prior to that got dark after only 75 minutes.

The longest I've gone without an oil change was 3.3hrs. And that would have been from about 2.5 overall hrs to just under 6 overall hours.

On one hand the dark oil concerns me (portending death), but on the other hand it still fills just as fast as it did the first couple times I ran it. The most recent run took 15 minutes to take a 60min scba from 3700-4400psi. My log book shows 15 minutes from 3700-4400 for the same 60 min tank on the 6th overall time I ever ran the compressor, back when it only had about an hr on it.

Last time I used my Yong heng I filled a couple of 60 minute scba tanks from zero to 300 bar. Did this over 2 evenings. Ran for 80 minutes or so straight thru each night.

I changed the oil before I started the 1st tank. Oil that I removed was my break in fill. Seco lube 500, that oil had about 90 minutes on it and was pretty dark. I put it in a water bottle and kept it a few days just to see if there would be any sediment or separation. Nothing. Oil stayed dark and no metal to speak of.

The oil in my compressor now is that same fill from before the 2 tank fills. Its dark but not nearly as dark as the 1st oil change. I’m gonna run it for awhile still. Color doesn’t bother me so much after I saw nothing concerning in the clear bottle after a few days of settling.

Serious question:
No matter which type lubricant I've used and please believe I have tried several, so please don't ask. The oil/lube turns BLACK way too fast. This past oil/lube change I've done nothing but fill my rifle about 10 times with an average fill time of less than a minute each.
I'm certain the compressor is on a flat surface, and I am filling to the top of the red dot as suggested.
Is it possible I'm overfilling or underfilling or maybe something else is askew?
From the manual:

Filtration and maintenance: The ISO VG46 hydraulic oil should be changed as soon as it changes color, each fill of oil is about 16 ounces. Change the hydraulic oil every 50 hours filling.
******************************************************************************************************************
When I fill to the specified mark on the sight glass, she only takes 10/11 ounces.

So! Fill with 16 ounces or go by the sight glass??

Sorry for beating this dead horse.

Thanks - Ponz
Your experience is of a product with less than perfect tolerance. It’s a typical thing with products that keep prices low, and it’s probably not as uncommon as you might think. My YH when I used to use it would dirty up the oil after about 3 hours of run time, and I would keep up on it, I just figured it was the cost of the inexpensive product. As long as I kept the water from full and the oil changed it would work ok. My problem was it would blow out the steal air lines if I tried filling over 4000 psi. But for $250 what do you expect? I purchased an omega air charger after becoming tired of replacing parts on th YH, and truth be told there is absolutely no comparison. Anyway the moral of the story is, keep up with the oil changes and you should be fine…..

My Yong Heng was purchased in Sept. My log book says I'm up to 7.7hrs.

Seco500 and oil gets dark quick, and has since I took it out of the box. I've been following it more closely (assuming it's gonna croak) for the last couple hrs and it was nearly black after 50 minutes most recently. And not 50 minutes at once but 5 different runs, over a course of a few weeks (10 min run, then 7, 8, 10, 15 and none in the same day). The change prior to that got dark after only 75 minutes.

The longest I've gone without an oil change was 3.3hrs. And that would have been from about 2.5 overall hrs to just under 6 overall hours.

On one hand the dark oil concerns me (portending death), but on the other hand it still fills just as fast as it did the first couple times I ran it. The most recent run took 15 minutes to take a 60min scba from 3700-4400psi. My log book shows 15 minutes from 3700-4400 for the same 60 min tank on the 6th overall time I ever ran the compressor, back when it only had about an hr on it.
I too haven't noticed any decrease in fill times, luckily. I'm now using Seco500 but have been through all the rest as well.

I have less than 20 minutes on this latest oil change before it turned black.

Your experience is of a product with less than perfect tolerance. It’s a typical thing with products that keep prices low, and it’s probably not as uncommon as you might think. My YH when I used to use it would dirty up the oil after about 3 hours of run time, and I would keep up on it, I just figured it was the cost of the inexpensive product. As long as I kept the water from full and the oil changed it would work ok. My problem was it would blow out the steal air lines if I tried filling over 4000 psi. But for $250 what do you expect? I purchased an omega air charger after becoming tired of replacing parts on th YH, and truth be told there is absolutely no comparison. Anyway the moral of the story is, keep up with the oil changes and you should be fine…..
For $1600 I would expect no comparison with the omega air charger! Jeez!

Reactions: Flash_The_Floof
John, ONLY fill to top of red dot in oil level indicator! Currently I'm using Husky Full Synthetic, non detergent & the discoloration factor is there but not as bad as Royal Purple, let's say. You have my # pal. If I can help, call me. I've stopped freaking about the discoloration, it happens. Going on 3 years STRONG with the YH but STILL baby it!

John, ONLY fill to top of red dot in oil level indicator! Currently I'm using Husky Full Synthetic, non detergent & the discoloration factor is there but not as bad as Royal Purple, let's say. You have my # pal. If I can help, call me. I've stopped freaking about the discoloration, it happens. Going on 3 years STRONG with the YH but STILL baby it!
So you're not using the oil color as an indicator of time to change the oil.....what sort of oil change frequency have you been doing?
I'd love to get 3 years out of mine so very interested in your response. Also, is the Husky oil only slightly discolored or nearly black after some usage?

So you're not using the oil color as an indicator of time to change the oil.....what sort of oil change frequency have you been doing?
I'd love to get 3 years out of mine so very interested in your response. Also, is the Husky oil only slightly discolored or nearly black after some usage?
Husky is only SLIGHTLY discolored, not nearly as bad as others I've tried. Gonna try Seco Lube next time. I've done my last 2 oil changes after about 6- 8 hours run time (I keep a notebook with dates & amount of run time). I have 4 SCBA tanks & rarely let them get below 3,000psi before topping off to 4200-4250psi & I try to not run more than 15-18 minutes without a cool-off break. I'm well aware of the capabilities of a $300 compressor & don't ask it to do more than it was designed for. My avg run time is 12‐15 minutes. It's NEVER gotten near max temperature, even during summer, using ice in bucket (1/2 gal milk containers full of water I keep in the freezer) & fans blowing front & back of compressor. Patience & good cooling is the key!
NOTE: If using the milk container thing, DON'T fill to top & leave caps LOOSE to allow for expansion when re-freezing!

Last edited:
Reactions: BluegrassBill2020
Annual oil changes for me, after initial 1-hour break-in change. Picture of Husky Full Synthetic Air Compressor Oil after 26 hours per vibration-activated hour meter. WM
IMG_20230311_141343.jpg