• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Yong Heng oil change

I think the manual states every 50 hours or yearly.

Like Long Gun Dallas suggests I did my first change early, like just under and hour, as it looked extremely dirty. The second one was many hours, in the teens if memory serves, and after that it has been yearly as I seldom put more than 15-20 hours a year on my compressors in a year.

I ran the recommended ISO 46 oil, for the first change and for another year, until I learned the difference in the oils that a 4500psi high pressure compressor should be using in caparison to a low compression 150 psi unit.

I no longer use anything branded Shell. Do a search on Shell for the reason why.

I do use Seco Lube 500 or 800 which is formulated for diving compressors rated for 4500psi.

Reactions: Camaro454
Shell makes good products. I used Rotella t6 in my turbo supra when I had it. Bearings in it looked like new last time I checked. The way I drive, and using a standard sump with no baffles, that is impressive. Is there some ominous thing going on with them? (as with most large oil companies) The compressor oil I picked was because it was the most sensible to purchase and obtain among several sufficient oils I looked at.

Shell makes good products. I used Rotella t6 in my turbo supra when I had it. Bearings in it looked like new last time I checked. The way I drive, and using a standard sump with no baffles, that is impressive. Is there some ominous thing going on with them? (as with most large oil companies) The compressor oil I picked was because it was the most sensible to purchase and obtain among several sufficient oils I looked at.
Long Gun,
Where do you get this oil from and how much should I order? My cheap portable Orcair compressor finally gave up. I think I have used it a total of 2-4 hours. Probably not even. Orcair actually refunded me since they no longer have the same model, and mine was still under warranty. They keep selling the same crap in new packaging. Anyways. After reading here I ordered a Yong Heng as well from Walmart. I bet it does not come with oil.

I use Nuvair 751 in my YH and I change it once a year. I pump up my 45 minute SCBA tank about once a month which takes less than 30 minutes. So I am getting maybe 10 hours a year run time on the oil. It still comes out fairly dirty looking. You can mail order Nuvair oil in quarts or gallons or larger amounts. Shipping a quart was kind of expensive so I'll probably buy a gallon next time, that should last me a long time. YH doesn't hold a lot of oil.

Reactions: Huncowboy
Weird oil story on my YH. 6 months old, done plenty of small fills (hatsan sortie and diana bandit). So about 4 months in I check the oil level (cold) - and to my despair the level wasnt showing. Oh noes, its eating oil right? So I top it off. Still not showing. Top it more off. Still not showing. Damn. Top it even more off. Repeat until the oil flows over.
What the... Right?
So I drain it and fill it with fresh oil. The old oil had a weird color to it too. Been a couple of months now and the oil level looks just fine.
So my advice is just keep an eye on it, it may need a break-in.
I have no idea what the "extra volume" could have been.

I use Nuvair 751 in my YH and I change it once a year. I pump up my 45 minute SCBA tank about once a month which takes less than 30 minutes. So I am getting maybe 10 hours a year run time on the oil. It still comes out fairly dirty looking. You can mail order Nuvair oil in quarts or gallons or larger amounts. Shipping a quart was kind of expensive so I'll probably buy a gallon next time, that should last me a long time. YH doesn't hold a lot of oil.
I just changed out my oil at 4.2 hours can I get more out of it I just did the 3rd oil change an threw the 4.2 hour oil could I have used it out to 8 hours.

Just because the oil is discolored does not mean that it is not working. As long as it doesn't get water in it ( looks like chocolate milk), I change mine at 18 + hours or once a year.
The first change should be done at 2 hours when most of the break-in is done and remove the cover and wipe out the residue on the bottom.

I have run my oil thru a coffee filter a couple times and put it back in the compressor. I'm running the expensive Seco lube so I want to get the most out of it I can. I never find any metal or solids in the filters, just carbon staining.

Chris
Mine always seems to get dirty the oil turns black after like 30 minutes of run time, Im also using secolube how much hours do you run that secolube for I felt like I wasted mine im on the 3rd change it just got all dark so I dumped it.

I don't have an actual schedule. I just run through a service routine every so often... filter swap and clean out, filter the oil, water change and top off, and pump clean out and check. Pretty simple stuff. I have cycled my oil like this perhaps 3 or 4 times before tossing it. Yes, it gets black almost immediately, which to me is a sign that it's doing its job and removing carbon from the system. Seems to work OK for me, YMMV. I'm not sure that an oil, any oil can be expected to stay clean in a pump with intermixed aluminum (of questionable quality) and cast iron parts.

Chris