• The Airgun Nation App is ready for iOS users! It should be available for Android users any minute! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Yong Heng Oil 5w-40? And magnetic oil drain plug

I saw Air venturi recommends 5w-40 then I saw tuxing recommends 5w-40 for all of its compressors also. 

https://youtu.be/yuFHYE_B22E?t=46

So can we use synthetic 5w-40 for the yong heng? 

I have been using husky synthetic compressor oil. But 5w-40 is half the price. 

Has anyone made or thought about a magnetic oil drain plug? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU-WINmaIss

This video got me thinking that a magnetic drain plug might be beneficial since he is detecting magnetic particles in his oil. I am guessing a full "flush" would be most beneficial as I am guessing some of the worn metal will be aluminum from the rod?

You should only change your oil once at break in, I did mine at less than an hour as it was black and I could not see through it, and then let it go for, I think the manual says 50 hours or yearly. I did mine once again at about 10 hours as it was pretty dark again. I have 20+ hours on it now and it is still not dark so until the year gets here I will leave it alone. So long as you only change it yearly it is not overly expensive?

As stated by others you want a decent non detergent based oil so the contaminates settle out of the oil. Not the automotive detergent type that keeps the contaminates in suspension.

A good 5W-40 non detergent oil may werq but I ran my Yong Heng without oil when I filled my impact 580cc tank once. Bad man I am, evil even. Any way, after repenting of this evil deed and filling it with oil afterwards, it still runs today, ten hours plus, after the evil incident, and I am pretty sure it is because of the little bit of oil that was on the crank saved it. So I have faith that the Husky synthetic and synthetic blend oil that I use is pretty good stuff.

Magnetic drain plugs are a good thing on any type of machinery.

As stated by others, if it has an oil filter it uses detergent oil. If it doesn't have an oil filter it uses non detergent oil. If low flashpoint oil ever reached the second stage piston the resulting diesel knock would break the first stage piston. ISO 100 synthetic compressor oil works very well. Others may use something else but we know proper compressor oil works. The magnet wont hurt but remember non detergent oil does not suspend particles like engine oil does so everything settles to the bottom and gets trapped in a layer of cooler thicker oil where it stays unless you open the crankcase and clean it.