Yong Heng mods update

Well I did a couple of mods to this thing and after all of that I have been using it for near eight months and it has werqed flawlessly.

I recently added an eight inch fan, at the back, to push a bit more air through the unit and fired it up, to do my final testing on it, to see how long I could actually run it before it overheated. Will it didn't. Overheat I mean like it never happened it just ran and it ran and.. So, twenty minutes later it was still just at my self imposed shutoff temp of 60C. Yes, I know the manual says 75C but then again the manual kinda sucks. It equalized somewhere between 59 and 60C and it just stayed there. A big plus for all the werq I did. I was actually wondering if I would ever get here little did I know that I was already. Anyway you can do it the easy way and just use ice or the hard way and add fans and radiators and... It's up to you.

However you choose to do it though, watch those temps close and, always be sure you have water flowing through the head and oil in the crankcase.

Embarrassed emoji goes here as I just overheated my repaired unit cuz I plugged the wrong pump in while testing after replacing an old outdated piston set.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/yet-another-yong-heng-mod/?referrer=1

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/a-dedicated-yong-heng-subforum/#post-1127767

Thanks had fun with the mods.

Actually they have a real duty cycle of around ten to twenty minutes depending on the environment and how much you have in the reservoir. Using Ice will get you a couple/few more minutes but the whole unit needs to be cooled down or bad things happen. If you want longer you have to werq at it a little. Still they are light duty machines so continues duty is not a good thing and they won't last long if abused in this manor. But when taken care of they will reward you with a few years of good service.

;^) Way to many hours I am afraid. If I had a life it would not be this way but since I doesn't it is. Have purchased two of the Yong Heng compressors and in three years and have used them two or three times a week so I did learn a few things. 

I have an addiction that requires me to figure out how things werq and fix them. So, I often tear things apart, no matter what it is, and usually find I can fix them no matter what they are. 

Onkyo stereo receiver had serious problems. I figured out that, a solder connection under one of the large chips, with loads of connections, was bad. Cuz when I pushed down on it things werqed. So bought a hot air soldering station, put tin foil around the chip to protect other parts, removed it, cleaned the pads, and re-soldered it. Now it's good to go.

Thought my phone died but figured out it was just the speaker so tore it all apart and replaced it. It werqed well afterwards.

I actually had an electronics class back in high school.

I rebuilt the motor, among other things, on my 76 MG Midget without giving it a thought. I had no real training in car mechanics but I had the manual.

Built a few electric bikes and soldered together battery management boards with hundreds of parts on them. Built some battery packs. The management system I soldered together charges and takes care of each battery separately. Little LED lights come on to tell you which batteries are nearly or fully charged, to keep them healthy.

Rewired the motors and repaired the electronic speed controllers when they broke as well. 

Thirty year old light weight daughter took the bike out for a test ride, some years back, and went 53mph! Bad daughter! Best I could do was just a bit over 40. ;^)

Guess all this might be insane to some but it's normal for me. We all have our God given talents and lucky for us they all be different.

Way to many hours learning and repairing all of this but at least I understand it now.

And then there are the airguns. They fit somewhere in between the stereo repair and the motor rebuild ;^)

Bio,

I don't even claim to be in your league, but, neighbor set this 2014 (60 inch) Element TV out by curb. YouTubed repairs, only needed $35 T-Con board. I get your addiction, 

WM
IMG_20211215_225051.1639627087.jpg

I'm an electronics and battery pack nut too I built this pack from 250 recycled medical equipment lipo cells. Started with 230 then added 20 more. Over 1000 solder joints, it's 36v nominal and about 95ah. I'll run a trolling motor from it as backup power. My main pack is a 160ah chevy volt pack. I'll fab an aluminum case for it and yes it's very well insulated.

250 BMSs 30v to 42v measures 9"x9"x9" and weighs about 48 lbs

Pack1 - Copy.1639637707.jpg
wired and balanced - - Copy.1639637707.jpg

Reactions: Crimson Mist
Wow that is a huge pack! Fifty pounds of lipo is allot of juice.

The best I have done is a 2P 72V of the of the A123 26650 batts it is so tiny in comparison and weighs in at under nine pounds. I should have gone 3P cuz I wasted a few batts pushing the bike too hard a few times. Really sad that A123 sold out to China they used to be made here.

I built three electric bikes several years back and all are now in need of battery packs. So, one of these days I will be busy for a couple of weeks me thinks.

Bio,

I don't even claim to be in your league, but, neighbor set this 2014 (60 inch) Element TV out by curb. YouTubed repairs, only needed $35 T-Con board. I get your addiction, 

Yup the internet can really help allot at times when you need it on electronics. For the most part it has pointed me in the right direction a number of times.

You did good on fixing that big screen TV. You got quite the bargain on that thing.

@biohazardman

why do you have 2 rear blocks?

I ask because I’ll be sending my rear block in for warranty. The pin that aligns the transfer port dropped down into the block. It no longer sticks up to align the port. Spoke with one of the techs at fx, he said he’s seen it before. So My baby will be on my workbench looking like yours soon. 

@biohazardman

why do you have 2 rear blocks?

I ask because I’ll be sending my rear block in for warranty. The pin that aligns the transfer port dropped down into the block. It no longer sticks up to align the port. Spoke with one of the techs at fx, he said he’s seen it before. So My baby will be on my workbench looking like yours soon.

Yup FX did a small run, with things not set up right I think, and after some wear the pins drop down into the hole. I was trying to order parts to fix mine when FX simply said it was a warranty item. Saved us some $ they did. Great thing it was for me as it was a few months past warranty but they warranted it anyway. Good for FX for their honesty. I am impressed they made a mistake they know it and they are offering to fix it.

The good thing about the repair is the block was out so I drilled and threaded a second hole in it to secure the barrel better. So now when I tension the barrel I don't have to worry about it coming loose.

BHman, please help. Removed & dismantled my wife's brain last night to figure out how it works. The ONLY function still working after reinstalling was it tells me I did it INCORRECTLY! Over & over & over......

I could've saved you some time. Here's an example of a wife's brain.

https://youtu.be/80o6gvLB1g8

• Wow
I have not thought of an oil pump but the rod is aluminum. There are no bearings for the crank or piston, they just sit in the aluminum rod. So, the thing is not made to be run contunuesly which is what an oil pump would most likely be good for.

Still on the plus side it would run cooler, with an oil pump, so most likely the compressor would last longer.

I personally would like to see some piston and crank bearings on the rod myself. An oil pump would then be a very good thing as the compressor would be made to last.

I think that the big fan blowing through the case, in addition to cooling the cylinders, probly keeps the oil a bit cooler as well.

There are so many ways to modify this thing so just have at it and please keep us informed as to the end result.

The oil stays way cool no matter how long the pump runs. At the speed and load of these pumps aluminum bearings are perfect. They never make contact with the crank journal as long as there's a film of oil to create a hydrodynamic wedge between them. Every overhead cam car engine that I know of has the cams riding an aluminum surface. You don't want a pump with non detergent oil anyway. Particulates are supposed to sink to the bottom and stay there. When you run a pump you need a filter and high detergent oil. The spike looking thing on the bottom of the connecting rod slings oil around to lube the cylinder walls, rings, wrist pin and crank journal. Small gas engines are exactly the same.

What you say makes sense for a light duty motor. It's been awhile since I rebuilt an engine and I know some cars have cam bearings and some do not. I don't know why that is though.

I really can't recall much about the rebuild I did though too much memory loss in that time frame. It just seems to me that things that are made to last a long time should have bearings. Probly old school or brain damaged way of thinking.

An oil pump without a filter doesn't make any sense at all.