• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Yong Heng junk!!!!! Time for a altaros booster pump

What's everyone's thoughts on a altaros booster pump I'm sick of these junk ass Chinese compressors how long does it take to fill a 45 min 66cf tank from 3000psi to 4500psi...

8d3fb60e-d0ac-429a-be70-b6c758133134photo.jpeg

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
How long did it last you? What happened to it?
Maybe it was half my fault my water hose had a bunch of trash in it and I didn't know and it clogged it up I cleaned it out everything good there but the threads got messed up from the factory im gonna fix the threads with a tap ive had it for 7 months

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Maybe it was half my fault my water hose had a bunch of trash in it and I didn't know and it clogged it up I cleaned it out everything good there but the threads got messed up from the factory im gonna fix the threads with a tap ive had it for 7 months
Gotcha, I had the same issue at first with my hose having harsh mineral deposits washing iut everything it was ran so I filled my 5 gallon bucket with the water from the sink. In hind sight I really should've used distilled water, I changed the water out every 4-5 days but mine has lasted me 3 years. I did have it rebuilt about a year ago but I must've filled my 2 60m scba tanks at least 70 times and my old impact mk2 about another 150+ before the rebuild.

Darn my first yong heng was junk after about 15 hours on it and it wouldn't build past 1000 psi no matter what I tried bought a second one used it once not even a hour on it sold it and sent the other with for parts then a friend and I went in together on a coltri mch-6 other than blowing the belt right away it has been trouble free just rolled over 10 hours on it seems like there should be more but longest it gets ran is a half hour and that's for a completely empty 88 cu ft tank
Boosters work great there just slower I had a shoebox that had the hours on it probably 150 hours before a rebuild about another 50 hours after that I sold it with some rebuild kits I've read good things about altaros booster

Reactions: anonymous_.457
my thoughts are, for high usage spend more on a heavier duty pump .. a yongheng is fine for light duty usage, ie, you use airguns to pest with and an occasional few mags plinking, and a couple of 45 min tanks will run you for 3 months, yes, the yongheng will likely last 5 years in that role if well cared for, short 10min runs, dried out and lubed after use etc ... the guy that empties a couple of 45min tanks twice a week and on the weekends fills them 3 times, yeah .. that guy needs a 2000$+ compressor .. a yongheng never was, isnt, and never will be designed to withstand compulsive usage like that ..

Do i need a compressor if I just got into PCPs?
It looks pricy
We should have a “decision flow chart” (see example below) that can guide someone through the process of keeping a PCP refilled when needed that would assist people on the direction to go.
No offense to zeroc, it comes up in discussion often.

IMG_2783.jpeg

It looks pricy
Get an Amazon $50 handpump and use that to fill your gun. Doesn't take that long and you can do it while watching tv. It provides good exercise that will keep you feeling younger than the frustration of fixing a compressor. When the pump needs maintanance, just remove the pump cylinder from the base and clean off the check valve oring in the bottom of the pump handle. I am 46 and 175 lbs. I have pumped 480cc tanks from 0 and larger paintball tanks. It is not as bad as others would lead you to believe. When my kid gets older and heavier I will pass the duty on to him.

It looks pricy
yes u will need a compressor or atleast a solution to fill tanks at your local dive shop or your local FD as they may fill them for u if u have tanks that are hydro tested. But u need to figure out what kind of shooter u are. Do u just want to fill your gun a couple times a week or do u want to fill tanks to have air on the ready? But Yongheng make a pretty decent inexpensive compressor that will fill/top off 45min tanks no issue. or a shoebox type if u just want to fill a gun. Or at there very min if your gun has a small air cylinder you can use a hand pump but u will work your a@@ off pumping it up. There are alot of options so my best advice would do plenty of reading and research ..

It looks pricy
I hand pumped my air guns for about a year before getting a compressor. It's good for your upper body among other things. For bottle guns it could get pretty tedious so like someone else mentioned when you're hand pumping you don't want to let the pressure drop too much between fills. Very easy to handpump small cylinders like on pistols or some compact bullpups.

I ended up getting a Vevor, so I bought the 2 year Protection Plan. I figured I would need it!
But I rarely shoot mine below 2000 psi. That allows it to be topped off in about 4 mins.
This is the way to use a "cheap " compressor !

It looks pricy
Similar to what others have said, you do not need a powered compressor to shoot PCPs unless you are very frail. Even most dedicated couch potatoes would have no real issues pumping for most of their shooting - in my opinion, most of those without health issues that complain of the effort to pump for light to modest shooting really need to hit the gym more often as they clearly need a little more effort in their life. I'd estimate that one ~50 stroke pumping session with good form (using body weight to do the work with elbows locked on the downstroke) probably burns no more than about 10-15 calories or so over the less than five minutes it will take to complete . . . .

I shot for years with just a hand pump with no problem. As @beerthief said, if you are only refilling as you shoot it is no big deal, but filling from empty is a pain. For best results with a hand pump (for heat/moisture management and longevity of the pump) plan on a pumping session of only about 50 strokes or so after the line is charged, then venting and letting the pump cool down for 10-15 minutes before using it again. Depending on the power level, that can be anywhere from about 15 shots at 35 FPE to about 100 at 10 FPE or so. I lived for years with a .22 Marauder tuned for about 20 shots at 30 FPE from about 50 strokes.

It was not until I got into modding my guns that I decided I needed an air tank - that was a lot of refilling from empty, sometimes to just take a few shots and find I needed to dump all the air to make changes, and then do it again. That got old fast, so I added a used tank, and when the tank expired I added a powered compressor, and later additional tanks - but that was over a 10-15 year period. Now that I have them I never use the hand pump, but most weeks my shooting level would still be fine with a hand pump.