Yong heng - first oil change.

I know there are many threads out there on this compressor. So no need to answer if you don't feel like going over some of the basics with someone who's having a little trouble using the search.

But if you don't mind going over some stuff that's been gone over before I do you have at least a couple of questions.

First of all how many fills before I change out that initial oil I put in there? I'm just filling 400-500 ml tanks on my air guns. Using the expensive royal purple oil because it was able to get here with the compressor. 

how often do you all replace the oil after that?

I'm assuming that temperature will never get particularly high when filling a single airgun... so monitoring temperature is just for doing scuba tanks...is this correct?

finally, there are two similar knobs. One is to drain moisture the other is to bleed pressure before turning off. I don't get much coming out of the moisture trap... is the correct sequence to first open the bleed valve releasing pressure, then open the drain, then turn off?

Any other tips? Apologies if this has been discussed to death but I'm actually here to discuss this kind of thing so just ignore it if it's not interesting to you.

Thank you. 

I'm babying my YH. While filling I open moisture trap for a couple seconds every 3-5 minutes. I, personally, change oil about every 1.5 hours of run time. As I said, I'm babying mine. To me, 10 hrs of run time before changing oil seems way too much IF you're filling tanks.

Babying your YH is an understatement. The problem with 3-5 minute air bleeds is that you are running the compressor much longer than it should by having to rebuild the lost pressure each time you bleed. 10 minutes between bleeds is more than sufficient. Ten hours between oil changes using quality compressor oil is being very kind to your compressor after the initial break in oil change at 3-5 hours. Your excessive pampering will turn your compressor into a juvenile delinquent.😀😀

Ok so my plan is to do a change after five hours or so and then give it a nice long break before the next one. Feeling a single bottle, I'm not even having any moisture coming out of the trap at all. I'm taking less than five minutes to fill, so there's no need to even think about draining in the middle of a fill at all. 

So one last question here I guess. Let's say I do a fill of a bottle and it takes two minutes and it's just reached target pressure. I assume the first thing I do is open up the pressure bleed... while the pump is still running is that right? that's kind of working backwards from the sequence of turning it on, because the manual says to run it with the relief valve open first for a bit then closing the valve to fill.

If there is a specific sequence that you have for turning it off after a quick fill like this I would be appreciative of hearing what it is.

I'm babying my YH. While filling I open moisture trap for a couple seconds every 3-5 minutes. I, personally, change oil about every 1.5 hours of run time. As I said, I'm babying mine. To me, 10 hrs of run time before changing oil seems way too much IF you're filling tanks.

Babying your YH is an understatement. The problem with 3-5 minute air bleeds is that you are running the compressor much longer than it should by having to rebuild the lost pressure each time you bleed. 10 minutes between bleeds is more than sufficient. Ten hours between oil changes using quality compressor oil is being very kind to your compressor after the initial break in oil change at 3-5 hours. Your excessive pampering will turn your compressor into a juvenile delinquent.😀😀

I don't believe anyone is helping themselves by going 3 hours before an initial oil change but it's a free country. I also do bleeds at 5 minutes but they are short and quick so not a whole lot of pressure is lost. I don't think it adds a lot to the run time myself. During humid weather a lot of moisture comes out at each 5 minute bleed and I prefer that being out of the air stream.

If the benefit of that first early change is to flush out any junk that was in the crank case or whatever you call it due to manufacturing, I guess the question becomes what are you waiting to happen for those three and up to 10 hours or whatever? If whatever junk is loose is going to get knocked loose in the first five minutes of operation probably could just change it after a few uses.

I guess the issue is you want to get that junk out of there as quickly as you can to avoid excess wear, but you also need to wait for it to shake loose, and the question is how long should you wait?

If the benefit of that first early change is to flush out any junk that was in the crank case or whatever you call it due to manufacturing, I guess the question becomes what are you waiting to happen for those three and up to 10 hours or whatever? If whatever junk is loose is going to get knocked loose in the first five minutes of operation probably could just change it after a few uses.

I guess the issue is you want to get that junk out of there as quickly as you can to avoid excess wear, but you also need to wait for it to shake loose, and the question is how long should you wait?

True, and who knows exactly when such may happen? That is why I do an oil change after the initial run and then use a more frequent change interval. It's not a high volume oil change and no filter is involved so it isn't a great expense. Also, since these are not bearing equipped, it seems the wear rate may be relatively higher and produce more wear debris in the oil faster than some other designs. But again it's a free country and one can choose to go longer on both of these intervals if they desire.

Im using secolube an I filled the yong heng with husky full synthetic for the first time ran it an hour or so drained it, Filled with secolube an now am at 3.6 hours on my secolube, Should I change it now.?

Im using secolube an I filled the yong heng with husky full synthetic for the first time ran it an hour or so drained it, Filled with secolube an now am at 3.6 hours on my secolube, Should I change it now.?
Depending on if the oil is really discolored & if you want to get the Secolube in there, there's no reason why not. It certainly won't hurt to change it now. I would.

Reactions: MarksmanPete
Depending on if the oil is really discolored & if you want to get the Secolube in there, there's no reason why not. It certainly won't hurt to change it now. I would.
I changed it at 4.2 hour mark I stirred it up again making sure to get all the particles an changed it, I noticed if I leave it for a few weeks it goes back to almost clear with a slight yellow tinge that's why I stirred it up again so the particles dont settle an I really tried to empty all the oil out even shook the compressor while pointed it downwards that got it flowing a bit more, Then I stuck some q tips to get remaining oil out, I ran it about half an hour an looks clear so I think I got most of those dark particles out, When should I change it out 3rd time at 6 hour mark or 8?.

Yeah, something like that. I feel like anything after 5 hours is fair game. I'm trying to keep mine running as long as possible so I'm not one of the "every 10 hours" guys. You'll get a feel for it. The way I figure, you can never change too often, doesn't hurt anything if you do (except your wallet a little).

Reactions: MarksmanPete
Yeah, something like that. I feel like anything after 5 hours is fair game. I'm trying to keep mine running as long as possible so I'm not one of the "every 10 hours" guys. You'll get a feel for it. The way I figure, you can never change too often, doesn't hurt anything if you do (except your wallet a little).
Well I got a whole gallon of seco lube so no excuse for me to stretch it to 10 hours. Il see think il be doing it around 5-6 hours, Although I do shoot a lot an blitz .22 just eats air with Crossman's I can easily shoot 500 rounds in a day so glad I got the gallon, If I had got the quart id only have 10oz left for the next change an Id have to buy it again.