Yong heng filling 60 minute scba from empty

Happening now, kind of a proof of concept fill/run for my yong heng. Cobbled together a setup with radiator water cooling and some electric fans.

I picked up 2 60 minute scba tanks off ebay. Seller emptied them before shipping. How long will it take, gonna see if I can find a stable temp for the compressor and just ket it run.

C77318D4-F97B-4AE5-8748-D58935AB393A.jpeg
FFF0752F-2DC8-4FF9-9531-D9F1F07DD796.jpeg
029305DC-1108-476D-AF97-6829F885A53C.jpeg
521EAE73-86F7-499C-9E82-6672993A659D.jpeg

I just ran my new Yong Heng for the 1st time. Filled my 74 cu ft tank from 0 to 300 bar in about 1 hour. Never went over 43.8C. I put a high volume fan behind it and an upgraded water pump sitting in a sink that I run cold well water into.
Then I topped off my son's tank from 200 to 300 bar in 23 minutes. 43C for entire run. Really happy with the pump.

Seco lube oil

I do have another empty 60 minute tank — I do not plan to use ice, I’m wanting to set this up as a closed system, put something together a little neater. This was kinda a test run, proof of concept run.

This run actually started with room temp water also, I filled my bucket last night while setting up. It just got too late to run last night.

I’ll get water temp measurements on the next run. Hopefully tomorrow night.

Reactions: MACTEN and IMADMAN
Your setup looks interesting. Are you only using the air filter that came with the YH? If so, you should probably invest in at least a small additional filter with dessicant in it. I arrange my filters to be above the YH so any water that condenses going through the filters will flow back to the YH were I vent it every 5 minutes. That seems to really help the color change dessicant see very little water.

I got a few brass connector pieces for the cooling lines on the YH and drilled holes slightly undersize in the lid of a bucket. That and running the electric through the lid let me close up the bucket. I have distilled water and water wetter in the system.

To save counter top space I have the bucket with the radiator under the counter the YH is on. That made the coolant lines pretty long and I noticed they were kinking raising the second stage temperature pretty fast. I swapped then for brake line hose. It seems to be a lot more robust and has solved the kinking problem.

I top off my 45 minute SCBA from around 3000 psi to 4000-300 bar in about 15 minutes run time. In the winter no ice is needed to stay under 60 C. But in the summer sometimes I open the bucket and put 3 frozen soft drink bottles in the water. That really helps the temperature stay low. When the YH started not getting to 300 bar in 15 minutes and/or wanting to go over 60 C I replaced the O ring that is close to the reed valve. That pushed my fill time/pressure back in the right direction. I can now get to about 300 bar in 15 minutes again. I prefer just settling with a 4000 fill to making an additional run.

Jimd I’m running the cheapo yong heng tampon filter into a joe brancatto water seperator/filter — has both desicant and carbon filtering media inside. Also a device built in to raise the pressure to 140 bar inside the filter before it allows air to pass, this promotes water seperation. Drain every 5 minutes or so. Also has a check valve so tank doesn’t drain air backwards.

7BA6E862-FF60-4033-98FA-65C81D4C448E.jpeg

Reactions: GA_LeadHead