Yong Heng cycling

It could be a loose connection, the relay could be overheating and opening up, the on off switch could be at fault or it could have a thermal reset switch to protect the electrical system from over heating and causing a fire. 

If it is tripping a thermal switch the unit not going to last much longer. 

With two years of use it could be tripping a thermal switch, if it has one, because it is loading up because the second stage piston rings have deteriorated, melted, and are causing a serious load on the motor.

Reactions: Camaro454
I'm pretty sure replacing the relay has solved the problem. I put a new relay in and filled my 9L/88cf SCBA tank from 200 BAR to 250 BAR without any stops or stalls. It ran for 9 minutes straight. Prior to replacing the relay it would have stopped and restarted several times in 4-5 minutes. Checked the old relay and it had no discolored or burned contacts so I suspect it had a weak coil. So - problem solved for now!

If you're good with a multi meter...

I'd be curious to know how many amps the motor is drawing just before it cuts out?

I'm not sure if the Yong Heng motor is internally protected but many electric motors I've dealt with have a thermal cutoff switch embedded in their copper winding's that will trip or open to protect the motor when the internal winding temperature gets too high (i.e. motor draws too many amps) and then automatically reset when they cool somewhat.

If you can isolate just the motor leads, and immediately after the unit cycles off and is unplugged, ohm them out to see if they have continuity that will rule out the motor's internal thermal protection.

Reactions: rc4fun
I did try one more test. I ran the compressor under no load. It did cut off after about 4-1/2 minutes - then restarted by itself. Under load it cuts off after about 1-1/2 minutes. I think your theory is correct - heat buildup in the motor. Less heat buildup with no load. I think I’ll consider this one a parts machine and operate the newer one until it also fails, then buy a better compressor. I won’t buy an Alkin or Bauer - other than those, any suggestions? I mainly top off a 9L/88cuft cf bottle.