Yong Heng Compressor Cooling Ideas?

Does anyone have any tried and true methods of cooling a Yong Heng?

Of course I am using ice water, two bucket method, and have used the Royal Purple - Purple Ice in the water.

Bought a larger 25 watt water pump and 3D printed an adapter to go down to 1/4" to fit the fittings on the compressor head but it doesn't seem to be making a huge difference.

I've even thought about buying a "blower fan" to help with air cooling.

When I'm filling my 74cu air venturi tank, I have to frequently shut the thing off and let it cool. (Which I'm OK with and don't expect insane performance out of a 300 dollar compressor).

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks Gents,

Niri

your not gaining much by focusing on the 'read temp' of the top end .. cool water in a suitable size container circulated by the stock pump handles the top end .. its the rest of the pump thats not cooled - the valve blocks, motor, lower cylinder .. yes definitely put a fan on it and the cooler the ambient temp the better .. also make sure the line you have it plugged into is adequate, running an electric appliance on a sub-par line drops the voltage and increases the amps which heats it up .. in other words you run the risk of frying your motor or other electrical parts .. but back to the top end, i think once you cross a certain point in cooling its actually 'worse' for the unit .. you got the top end temps looking like its all hunky dory at a cool looking frosty temp while in reality your punishing the crp out of the whole unit .. so im an aviation electrician by trade, my evaluation having used it a limited number of times is it has a low duty cycle .. run it 10 and give it a rest to cool off, then another 10 like that till your done is the best approach to cooling ... if your worried about extending its useful life some .. also remove the bleeders and run it for a few when your done to dry it out and treat the water jacket with something to prevent corrosion ...

All that is overkill. I use 4 gallons of room temperature distilled water and run the compressor for no more than 15 minutes or less than 65 deg C. The water coming out of the pump is warm, but not excessively so.

Ice in 2 gallons of water and an external cooling fan will keep temps well below 60C for as long as needed to run. I'll hang on to the overkill as mine has lasted nearly 3 years now using that method.

Thanks everyone for the replies but I'm not really concerned with temps just filling gun directly from compressor, I'm talking about filling a 74cu ft carbon fiber air venturi tank. That's when I am worried about temps.

The compressor is running directly in the wall off of a 20 amp breaker so load should be no concern.

Thanks again guys.

Forget about filling a 74 cu ft tank from empty in one sitting with the YH you'll just kill it, no matter what water and fan you use! Break it down into several (10?) 20 minute sessions following biohazard man's guide lines. 30 or 45 minutes off between on times to give the motor and insides time to cool.

Once filled, partial fills can be done in 20 minutes or less. Just don't wait until the tank gets to low.

Relax have an adult beverage, you'll get it done.

KC

Once you have ice in the water and an extra fan blowing on the unit your environment takes over and will be the deciding factor on how long you can run. Although filling a 74cu ft tank in one filling might sound like a good idea, if you can keep the temps down, you will likely still be damaging your compressor if you do it.

Like the others I have seldom run my Yong Heng over twenty minutes, usually less, as they are not made for continues duty. My unit has 25 hours on it now and is still running strong even though I ran it without oil for a few minutes once. I try to be kind to it these days so it will last longer and thus far it has done so.

Once you have ice in the water and an extra fan blowing on the unit your environment takes over and will be the deciding factor on how long you can run. Although filling a 74cu ft tank in one filling might sound like a good idea, if you can keep the temps down, you will likely still be damaging your compressor if you do it.

Like the others I have seldom run my Yong Heng over twenty minutes, usually less, as they are not made for continues duty. My unit has 25 hours on it now and is still running strong even though I ran it without oil for a few minutes once. I try to be kind to it these days so it will last longer and thus far it has done so.

Absolutely agree here. Definitely not machines meant for continuous duty -- I try to baby this thing (although replacing one would not be an issue for me -- I don't want to if I don't have to).

Can you Yong Heng guys give me an honest answer on what was actually spent after you fine tuned your compressor? I read about all the stuff that was added, fixed, damaged, fixed again. That there seems to be a disconnect and the original purchase price. One example is compressor cost $300 then immediately a filter or filters are added which cost between $100 and up. That is only one item I have read about. Can someone break it down to what is really needed to keep a YH running for several years. Thanks in advance.

Most of the extras are really not needed. I just use the Tuxing Gold filter with the cartridge. You can get the fancy filter that holds pressure if you want but I have not had any problem in my 13months of using the stock gold filter without any of the check valves and add-ons that drive the cost up.

It really does depend on the environment though. A very dry place may not require much more filter than the tiny stock unit. An environment with lots of humidity may require a water separator in addition to the Gold filter.

Most will do fine with just an extra Gold filter with the cartridge for around $100. So long as one purges the compressor every five minutes and and changes out the small Yong Heng filter every twenty the cartridge filer should last many months. If it doesn't last that long then add the second water separator. 

I run my compressor in the basement at 55-65% humidity, for an average of around 20 minutes a week, and my Tuxing Gold filter is 13 months old now. It does need a new cartridge though.

Adding ice to your reservoir will help you get a few more minutes of run time if it is needed. All of the radiators and extra fans and such are not really needed for regular run times of 15 minutes or less.

As far as breaking it down for a years worth of run times it will depend on the individual unit. But for the most part I have only needed a couple of Dowty seals and a couple of o-rings, and they came in the parts bag with the compressor, to keep mine ruining. With the exception of the new second stage piston that got trashed a couple months after I got it. That was a QC matter though and will not be in the normal use category.

Madcat

I hear you, loud and clear. Some Yong Heng owners have created spectacular works of art and design when setting up pump stations and "hot-rodding" components. I think that is in all of our natures, to some extent. I admire and respect them, and their talent, who knows, they may create a real breakout design. In reality, as Bio said, it doesn't have to be all that. Having just gone thru it, I'll share costs: Yong Heng "Set Pressure" (110v version) $272.50, HUSKY Blend Synthetic AC Oil $6.99@16oz (for Break-in), HUSKY Full Synthetic AC oil, $9.99@16oz. Gold 12" aluminum filter, $59. Extra hoses and adapters, $25. Vibration activated Hour Meter, $21. All Ebay, free shipping. Following items, to complete set-up, were free: plastic 5 gallon bucket, 10" old box fan, small filter and whip hose borrowed from Chinese handpump. I think, with proper care and not pushing things too far, this set-up should last for years.

WM

Most of the extras are really not needed. I just use the Tuxing Gold filter with the cartridge. You can get the fancy filter that holds pressure if you want but I have not had any problem in my 13months of using the stock gold filter without any of the check valves and add-ons that drive the cost up.

It really does depend on the environment though. A very dry place may not require much more filter than the tiny stock unit. An environment with lots of humidity may require a water separator in addition to the Gold filter.

Most will do fine with just an extra Gold filter with the cartridge for around $100. So long as one purges the compressor every five minutes and and changes out the small Yong Heng filter every twenty the cartridge filer should last many months. If it doesn't last that long then add the second water separator. 

I run my compressor in the basement at 55-65% humidity, for an average of around 20 minutes a week, and my Tuxing Gold filter is 13 months old now. It does need a new cartridge though.

Adding ice to your reservoir will help you get a few more minutes of run time if it is needed. All of the radiators and extra fans and such are not really needed for regular run times of 15 minutes or less.

As far as breaking it down for a years worth of run times it will depend on the individual unit. But for the most part I have only needed a couple of Dowty seals and a couple of o-rings, and they came in the parts bag with the compressor, to keep mine ruining. With the exception of the new second stage piston that got trashed a couple months after I got it. That was a QC matter though and will not be in the normal use category.

I agree with most of this but not the next to last paragraph. Ice from the start will keep temps lower overall during the desired shorter runs of 10-12 minutes most should use (whether or not one believes this temperature drop will help longevity is another question) and an external fan helps immensely as it removes a lot of heat from the hottest area of the compressor-the top head and lines.

But as noted, it depends very much on WHERE one runs the compressor. I use mine in an unairconditioned shop and in summer heat the ice and fan have made a huge difference in operation of mine. Winter months are not nearly as much of an issue.

i dont let my 74 cu.ft. tank get below 220 bar. my guns either fill to 230 or 240 bar. so once i get to where i cant fill completely i fill my tank. my yong heng takes 8 mins to top off my tank from 220 to 300 bar. i use cold water from the faucet and open both bleed valves at the 5 min mark to bleed off any water. i also use a small fan blowing over the compressor. it usually gets to about 50 C.

Madcat

I hear you, loud and clear. Some Yong Heng owners have created spectacular works of art and design when setting up pump stations and "hot-rodding" components. I think that is in all of our natures, to some extent. I admire and respect them, and their talent, who knows, they may create a real breakout design. In reality, as Bio said, it doesn't have to be all that. Having just gone thru it, I'll share costs: Yong Heng "Set Pressure" (110v version) $272.50, HUSKY Blend Synthetic AC Oil $6.99@16oz (for Break-in), HUSKY Full Synthetic AC oil, $9.99@16oz. Gold 12" aluminum filter, $59. Extra hoses and adapters, $25. Vibration activated Hour Meter, $21. All Ebay, free shipping. Following items, to complete set-up, were free: plastic 5 gallon bucket, 10" old box fan, small filter and whip hose borrowed from Chinese handpump. I think, with proper care and not pushing things too far, this set-up should last for years.

WM

Thx WorriedMan this is what I was looking for. Basically under $500 in the right conditions can run a YH with some care and basic maintenance. Appreciate biohazardman chiming in as well. 

While there are many tricks to cooling, my problem is that the compressor is in a shed outdoors. Right now, the afternoon temps are 95 to 100F. If you want to keep the head temp under 150 (65C) or so, that becomes a real problem.

The best cooling luck I've had is to start with a 5 gallon bucket of cool water from the tap. Don't recycle, just have a hose ready and have the water pump directly outdoors onto the ground. Refill the 5 gallon bucket every few minutes from the hose to keep the cool water running. Around here, water is between 65 and 70 degrees out of the hose in summer.

I've never needed more than the filter that comes with the compressor. I do have an extra filter (the black one, whatever that is. I think I spent $30 for it). The filter is most valuable for the extra hose it came with. I had to remove the valve last week, no sign of water or anything else. Then again, humidity around here is pretty low, below 10% on a solid hot day.

I do bleed every 3 to 5 minutes just to make sure there's no buildup in the compressor.

I have had problems with the compressor, as the piston broke, but that was fixed with about $30 in parts off Ali Express and 3 months waiting. They are really pretty tough little compressors considering what we ask them to do. I've been happy with mine overall.