Yong Heng compressor air filter

The following are MY thoughts...mileage will vary for other posters...

1) No need to "over filter" for dust, particulates, airborne dirt. Just a small cotton roll air filter will take care of that. (You can spend a small fortune on high end HEPA grade filters if you desire. Nothing wrong with it if you have the $$) (Consider that the more filtration you use, the greater the back pressure on the high end of the compressor. Filter wisely...it is possible to over-do it with a cheap compressor! )

2) Don't run the compressor in hot humid air...if it's Summer, and you are in the South, take it indoors, or you will have moisture problems that will likely exceed any desiccant filter's capacity. Yes, you do need a desiccant filter, but the drier the ambient air around the compressor, the less desiccant you need.

3) Use the best quality lube you can buy. Change it often, some do it every fill, and that's a good idea after your compressor's first use. That first use should be only for a few minutes to get the grit, metal shavings, etc. out of the system. Otherwise, I would suggest changing oil after a couple of hours of each compressor use is a good idea. Two hours is a LOT of time with a single piston, 4.5K compressor with no built-in lube filter.

4) Put ice in your cooling bucket. I freeze water in a two liter soft drink bottle, or a 1 gallon milk container. The more surface exposure the better...so just plain ice in the bucket is best but you had better buy or freeze a lot of it...that water gets HOT!

5) Never...Ever...let the compressor run if the piston isn't moving, and all you hear is a "HMMMMMMM>>>) You either forgot to open the two relief valves on the sides before you started and there's high pressure air from the gun or scuba tank filled up in the system and the piston is unable to move, or you have a broken piston/piston shaft, etc. It's cheaper to replace a piston than to buy a whole new compressor. If the motor burns out...and it will burn out in seconds under a heavy load, your cheapest resort is a new compressor.

That's enough to keep you out of trouble. Good luck and be very careful. 4500 psi is a bomb if you forget to turn it off. Burst disks don't always burst.

Regards,

Kindly 'Ol Uncle Hoot

Reactions: Rodeo
If you fill tanks, the big gold filter is the way to go. There is no need for any internal cartridge which just takes up space that can be used for accomodating more desiccants. You definitely do not need "three different types of filtration" but just the desiccants to remove moisture. I am using the big gold filter on my Yong Heng. 13X molecular sieve is poured directly into the metal body of the filter with the two ends plugged up by the cotton filter elements that came with the filter. colored silica beads are added at the ends of the tube to check whether the molecular sieve is still dry. If the silica beads turn pink, it will be time to replace the molecular sieve

1569119791_20586692685d86de2f183402.65150815_silica at inlet after one day.jpg

The big gold filter was the only of it's kind in the market when I bought my Yong Heng 1.5 years ago. Now there is a smaller one which should do the job just as well. Had I not got the gold filter already, I will definitely get this one. Cheaper, lighter, more compact are the advantages : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32903611478.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.29.10074434lgVpCo&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.136569.000000000000000&scm_id=1007.13338.136569.000000000000000&scm-url=1007.13338.136569.000000000000000&pvid=1ee632d4-300b-4f29-8c0b-e718b94f5ed4

I have a gold Tuxing filter with a one of the little black cotton plug filters that comes with the pump before it. They actually work pretty good. I've never seen any moisture even make it to the big gold filter. The first stage cyclone and the black filter catch it all before it gets to the gold filter. I only fill guns to 200 bar but it has gone through as many as ten fills in shooting session.

That is a (much ) bigger version of the cyclone water seperator already equipped on the Yong Heng. This kind of filter is good for removing the bulk of water from the compressed air by means of centrifugal force but some water droplets may still make their way through. The purpose of the desiccant filter is to remove the remaining. The air coming out from the filter still contains some water vapor but definitely not any in liquid form. 

I have a gold Tuxing filter with a one of the little black cotton plug filters that comes with the pump before it. They actually work pretty good. I've never seen any moisture even make it to the big gold filter. The first stage cyclone and the black filter catch it all before it gets to the gold filter. I only fill guns to 200 bar but it has gone through as many as ten fills in shooting session.

Yes, I found that only after I have got the big gold filter. I also fill guns directly so the gold filter has now become rather redundant. 

That is a (much ) bigger version of the cyclone water seperator already equipped on the Yong Heng. This kind of filter is good for removing the bulk of water from the compressed air by means of centrifugal force but some water droplets may still make their way through. The purpose of the desiccant filter is to remove the remaining. The air coming out from the filter still contains some water vapor but definitely not any in liquid form.

Thanks, airgunfans

If I understand what you are saying about any moisture remaining after using this big cyclone; could i clean it up with another filter following in the line?.

Would a cigarette filter type cartridge unit work?.

That's what came with my Yong Heng

Ed

If I understand what you are saying about any moisture remaining after using this big cyclone; could i clean it up with another filter following in the line?.

Ed

Yes, you can remove the remaining moisture with another filter after the big cyclone. The cigarette filter can absorb water in liquid form but not in vapor form, that is, the air will still be fully saturated with water after going through the cigarette filter. Compressed air is hot, after it has cooled down, condensation will occur and you will end up in having liquid water in the tank. The use of desiccant filter is therefore recommended. 

The hot air exiting the compressor contains 100% humidity water vapor as well as water and oil mist. The oil/water separator and tampon style filters are designed to capture the oil/water mist. They do NOTHING for the 100% humidity (water vapor content) of the hot air. As soon as the 100% humid air cools it becomes wet with water mist forming in the air and/or on surfaces it comes into contact with.

This is the purpose of the drying filters containing a dessicant (like molecular sieve). To take the humidity (water vapor) out of the air and lower the dewpoint enough that it won't condense water as the air cools inside your tank and/or gun. To keep guns and tanks dry the humidity of the compressed air must be lowered by some means. 

It is not a lot of water. But it promotes corrosion, and at high pressure things corrode quickly.

Ed

Yes, you can remove the remaining moisture with another filter after the big cyclone. The cigarette filter can absorb water in liquid form but not in vapor form, that is, the air will still be fully saturated with water after going through the cigarette filter. Compressed air is hot, after it has cooled down, condensation will occur and you will end up in having liquid water in the tank. The use of desiccant filter is therefore recommended.

The hot air exiting the compressor contains 100% humidity water vapor as well as water and oil mist. The oil/water separator and tampon style filters are designed to capture the oil/water mist. They do NOTHING for the 100% humidity (water vapor content) of the hot air. As soon as the 100% humid air cools it becomes wet with water mist forming in the air and/or on surfaces it comes into contact with.

This is the purpose of the drying filters containing a dessicant (like molecular sieve). To take the humidity (water vapor) out of the air and lower the dewpoint enough that it won't condense water as the air cools inside your tank and/or gun. To keep guns and tanks dry the humidity of the compressed air must be lowered by some means. 

It is not a lot of water. But it promotes corrosion, and at high pressure things corrode quickly.

Good morning, Alan B

Thanks for teaching e about what each type of filter accomplishes

I now understand why a desiccant filter is essential.

If I've been a good student the conclusion reached is that after the cyclone both tampon style & desiccant filters are needed.

If that's the case is there any advantage to having the cyclone in the system?

Does the cyclone add significant load to the compressor?

Ed

If that's the case is there any advantage to having the cyclone in the system?

Does the cyclone add significant load to the compressor?

Cyclone filter is a more convenient means to remove water from the compressed air because you can bleed the water accumulated inside while keeping the compressor running. The filter doesn't have to be very large if you bleed it more often. In fact the one on the Yong Heng is very small and I guess you need to bleed it once every 5 ~ 8 minutes. After bleeding it will take some time for the filter to re-pressurized before filling can continue. 

With tampon type filter, the filter must be sufficiently large in order to contain all the water squeezed out from the air in a filling cycle. The small black filter that comes with Yong Heng is good for filling very small tanks and rifles only.

Cyclone filter does not add any load to the compressor but the overall fill time will be longer because it takes time to pressurize the filter.

Thanks for the quick reply, Alan B

If I were to use a cyclone & the stock Yong Heng filter it should be good for individual guns & small tanks, understood.

Would 88 cu in tanks be considered small?

Is there a better option?

Such as:

- a cyclone plus a desiccant filter; with or without the tampon YH filter

- large tube desiccant plus large tube tampon

- some other single filter or combination of filters

Desiccant acts like a gravel drain( lets moisture through) unless it is put under pressure, correct?

BTW, I am not married to using a cyclone, as I do not own one yet.

The concept simply appealed to my unschooled approach

Ed

For all

Here is a heads up if you are considering this filter from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V4F6H1X/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

https://www.amazon.com/Separator-Compressor-4500Psi-Filter-L350mm/dp/B07V4F6H1X/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

I contacted the seller about replacement elements

They sell them; but not on Amazon

Buying direct the cost is $25 each with $15 shipping.

They did not reply to the question about replacement frequency

That's a deal breaker for me.

If anyone has better/different info I'd like to hear about it, please

FYI

I have also contacted an eBay seller with the same questions about this fiter

Will update

Hope this helps

Ed

Those are diving air filters for breathing air. 1/3 of that filter is the molecular sieve that you need to capture water vapor for airguns. The rest is not needed.

Replacement frequency depends on too many variables for them to answer your question. It depends on the air temperature coming out of the compressor and the effectiveness of your oil/water separator ahead of the filter (which depends on the air pressure in the separator) and the volume of moisture vapor saturated air you pump through the filter. It also depends on how effectively you valve off ambient air from getting to the filter when not pumping.

As an example Coltri recommends replacing the filter every six months regardless of use, and possibly sooner depending on temperature and pumping volume. Just sitting on the shelf in their sealed foil packages they expire in 2 years.

Some cartridges have indicators that show when they are no longer effective.

Those filter prices are about average.