• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Yong heng black lube/ is there a break in period?

Hey AGN,

I have been running a knock off yong heng to get me into the pcp world and it has been great so far. I have noticed however that when I have run the compressor for a couple hours worth of fill time(avg. 15min per fill) that the hydraulic fluid is so grey it is almost black. I change it very regularly and I have all the old stuff in a clear plastic jar for some time and there is no sign of metal bits settling to the bottom so I don’t think it is going to fly apart at any minute or anything but it is definitely a concern. Anyone else seen this in there’s?

That being said several members have recommended the royal purple compressor oil so that is what I am switching to. 

Also I just got a new, name brand(lol) yong heng in the mail a couple days ago; along with a two stage HP oil and water separator that I am about to put into service. I am going to retire the other one and store it for parts or as a back up. Does anyone have a break in recommendation for the new yong heng? Running it so long with no pressure or anything like that or just lube it up with royal purple and go to pumping? Will post pictures of the completed refilling set up soon. Thanks for reading. Happy hunting.

I know my YH had some pretty dark oil in it so after 40 minutes of run time I changed it out. After that it got dark allot slower so it was hours of runtime before my next change. I use the synthetic blend compressor oil from Home Depot. 

Ran my YH for a few minutes without pressure so things would have a little time to break in. I did not see anything in the instruction booklet that said to do so.

Picked up a corded outlet that will take the load so I will not forget to turn on my pump again. I overheated my first YH badly several times.

Purchased one of the three stage gold filters to make sure that the air going into my gun and tanks is clean and moisture free.

I purge the system every 5 to ten minutes of run time to remove moisture and replace the YH filter every twenty to thirty minutes. I set the YH filter aside let it dry and use it for the next change. This has saved my large filter and I have never had to change it in the year it has been running on the system.

Keep your water tank level with your compressor for best water flow.

Keep your tanks and guns being filled above your compressor to help keep moisture out of them.

Expect you are doing most of this already but...I am quarantining myself and very bored so I have to do something.

I am currently using Royal Purple in mine but I will switch to Husky synthetic compressor oil when I have used up my supply of RP. The Husky synthetic (available at Home Depot) is clear and will make it easier to see when it gets discolored.

When I first got my Yong Heng I ran it for 15 min filling a tank then changed the oil. That is the only break in I did. My fill station set up:

1585439990_1679801765e7fe4f6ec70f2.90837281.jpg

The water pump, compressor, auxiliary fan and LED light strip are all plugged into an outlet strip. This way I can't forget to turn on the fan and water pump. I also added water wetter to the cooling bucket. It did not seem to make much of a difference in operating temperature but it does help keep mineral deposits from forming and keeps the water from getting "funky". The water wetter is why the cooling lines are that wonderful pink color. Lol. 8 hours on mine so far and going strong (added an hour meter).

Thanks for all the great info everyone. This tells me volumes that I didn't considered but I think I have all the hardware I need I just need to rearrange things for better water flow and such. Also the main reason I am swapping to actual compressor oil over hydraulic fluid is the smell. It does not bother me, and the compressor seems to run fine on it, but it is causing a constant high pitched whine from my fiance. 😅 Did anyone have problems with the oil smell after changing to any of the compressor oils? Are any better about not stinking than others? Thanks again.