• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Yong Heng Aquarium pump

Too cold to shoot today so filling tanks and tinkering...

Which got me wondering what kind of output the little pump that came with my Yong Heng is doing.
I clocked it emptying a 5 gallon bucket at 4 min/13 seconds. Saw some calculations where an orange HD bucket actually holds more like 5.36gallons so I filled it to about an inch from the top, thinking that'd be roughly 5 gallons. I also stopped the clock with the aquarium pump started sucking air through the intake, which left about an inch in the bottom of the bucket.

So, figure that's about 4.75gallons and clocked it at 4 min, 13 seconds, (calling it an even 4 minutes to make calculations easy.) From there I'm getting 1.1875gallons per min, or 71.25gallons per hour.

The pump has "output: 600L/H" on the label so converting the 71.25gallons to liters I'm getting a rate of 270liters per hour. NOT as high as it is labeled for.

Anyway, Amazon has pumps in the $10-20 range that have stated rates MUCH higher than what I'm getting with the one that came with the Yong Heng. A guy could very cheaply increase the flow rate through the Yong Heng pump head.....

And here's my question: Would increased flow be a good thing for pump-head temp reduction? In other words, is a bit of "dwell" of the water flow through the Yongi pump head a good thing, aiding in heat transfer or a bad thing?

Not necessarily DYING to know, ran it for 22 minutes just before the above experiment and got to 51C on the gauge, which I'm pretty comfortable with. Just curious if anybody has thoughts on how the flow rate would effect the temps.

I have a stronger aquarium pump running with my YH. My Temps always stay far below the limit but I can't truly say it's due to the better pump because I've never run it with the YH included pump.
Did you do a stronger aquarium pump specifically b/c you figured the flow rate was too slow with the one they ship with Yong Heng?

Frank,
Some early model Yong Heng pumps were 400 L/H, later ones upgraded to 600 L/H. I'd upgrade, if mine was earlier version, but 600 L/H does a good job, so I'll stick with it. Don't think higher rated pumps would be a problem, plenty are in use, I'd only consider if my water supply was lower than compressor, making water pump work harder. I follow Biohazardman's advice to be nice to your pump by keeping water level even with compressor. WM

@Gerry52, thank you. Seems like you're the only person who has tried a different pump than what they come with.

Part of what got me wondering was seeing how minimal water the output line seems to be on mine. I never measured initially but I think I remember it putting out more when I first got it than it is now. If the stated output was ever accurate, I'm definitely far below that, using my measurements from yesterday.

Again, thanks for your input.

Remember, Its is head pressure you are seeking.. The higher the air pump to the water pump, the lower the pressure is...
5gallon bucket and Yong Heng right next to each other in my situation (not trying to pump the water "up" other than out of the bottom of the bucket). But your thoughts do have me wondering if I should rethink where I place the pump in the bucket. I've always let it be at the bottom, with the warm return water coming back into the bucket up at the top...perhaps if I used the suction cups on the pump and place it near the top and the return down at the bottom......then it'd be harder to make sure the aquarium pump is still doing its thing....

I have a bigger pump on my YH too and I also never ran it with the little pump it came with. One reason I did it is I knew I wanted to put the water bucket in on the floor and have the pump on the counter. So the pump has to push water 3 feet up. The bigger pumps are so cheap I did not see why chancing the stock one made much sense. But if you have your bucket at the same elevation as the compressor, the smaller pump would work better and may work just fine regardless.

I recently took my YH apart for the first time and I agree, the water jacket around the second stage is a small volume and should be easy to push water past. I added a computer radiator to mine, however, so that adds some flow resistance.

Too cold to shoot today so filling tanks and tinkering...

Which got me wondering what kind of output the little pump that came with my Yong Heng is doing.
I clocked it emptying a 5 gallon bucket at 4 min/13 seconds. Saw some calculations where an orange HD bucket actually holds more like 5.36gallons so I filled it to about an inch from the top, thinking that'd be roughly 5 gallons. I also stopped the clock with the aquarium pump started sucking air through the intake, which left about an inch in the bottom of the bucket.

So, figure that's about 4.75gallons and clocked it at 4 min, 13 seconds, (calling it an even 4 minutes to make calculations easy.) From there I'm getting 1.1875gallons per min, or 71.25gallons per hour.

The pump has "output: 600L/H" on the label so converting the 71.25gallons to liters I'm getting a rate of 270liters per hour. NOT as high as it is labeled for.

Anyway, Amazon has pumps in the $10-20 range that have stated rates MUCH higher than what I'm getting with the one that came with the Yong Heng. A guy could very cheaply increase the flow rate through the Yong Heng pump head.....

And here's my question: Would increased flow be a good thing for pump-head temp reduction? In other words, is a bit of "dwell" of the water flow through the Yongi pump head a good thing, aiding in heat transfer or a bad thing?

Not necessarily DYING to know, ran it for 22 minutes just before the above experiment and got to 51C on the gauge, which I'm pretty comfortable with. Just curious if anybody has thoughts on how the flow rate would effect the temps.
Did you do the test by pumping from the bucket, thru the hose , thru the compressor water jacket and then thru the outlet hose? If not, a repeat test is in order. Then another with the bucket on the floor and the compressor on a table 30 inches higher. There should be differences in each test. We eagerly await the results with baited breath, meanwhile I am having another cookie!