• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Yesterday i asked if chrono is needed. Now i want to know if to buy FX, Caldwell or something else and why?

I have the cheap clamp-on chinese chronograph, and a Shooting Chrony Beta, and an FX Radar chronograph. For airguns I absolutely LOVE the low-cost cheap chinese clamp-on chronograph. Simple, never misses a shot. This is definitely my go-to chrony for airguns. I wish I'd have known it existed before I bought an FX Radar $200 time-wasting piece of junk that I simply cannot trust. The Shooting Chrony was OK years ago and requires specific lighting conditions -- so kind of a pain, but I would still use it IF I was chronying powder burners. For airguns I say get the chinese clampon for about $35. Forget the FX radar. The FX radar chrony is the only chrony I have ever used that I actually WANT to shoot.
grungy

So you are saying..that you can mount this on your air rifle barrel and shoot with it attached and have NO POI changes....lets say at 50 yards -100 yards? I know a couple guys that have the FX and when you mount it to their barrels..there is a notable POI change.
Ok full disclosure,...I only have rifles with a solid barrel band ( don't even consider rifles without one ) ...and yeah in my rifles yes, but I suppose rifles with flimsy barrels and no barrel bands would be an other story entirely

Reactions: Richieg
This Chrono weights 9 oz, all my rifles have a rock solid barrel band and I've never seen a change in POI even at 35 yards ( I hardly ever shoot further then that )
DSCF3259.JPG
DSCF3258.JPG
DSCF3260.JPG
DSCF3261.JPG

I feel bad for grungy lol. I have some connection issues with my FX radar but after some basic “turn on/turn off” etc. techniques it worked on point. There has been times I’ve taken my stuff to a friend with one of those chronograph stands like the more old school ones just to compare because I was getting some wild deviations. Long story short it wasn’t the choronograph like I thought it was my inability to tune the rifle lol. (Which is fixed now, it is not fun to work on stuff and be have dislexia haha)

I also have the Competition Electronics ProChrono, and it's a very good value in the conventional chrono market. But, since I do most of my air rifle tuning indoors, I use the Magnetospeed V3 most of the time. It needs no light, and it's very easy to attach the bayonet fixture and shoot into my pellet trap while seated on my stool. I seldom use the ProChrono with air rifles, since most of my at-range adjustment is fine tuning, and I'm not usually monitoring velocity that closely at that point. If you are going to be accuracy testing while adjusting velocity, then I would recommend a conventional chrono, or LabRadar, since nothing attaches to the barrel.

These posts are very helpful, the variety of experiences and recommendations is great to make up my own mind of what might work best for me! 👍🏼

Thank you for the links as well! 👍🏼

Matthias
I agree. Different people have different tastes and standards.

I'll add that the Caldwell can be a pain when used indoors, but a couple of HF $1.50 lights mounted on the underside of the diffusers solves the problem.

Shot safe,

J~

I have a Caldwell and you have to set it up, certain distance from the gun, line up with the backstop, stay away from trees, get shades on,
Since Travis from GTA showed the 50 bucks China Chrono to me that is all I use, so simple just slap it on and shoot, rain or shine, light or no light, standing or on a bench, move around,....and so on

If you just need to know the speed of your pellet or slug, there are many cheap chorny under 50 bucks. Some chorny are made for airsoft gun and those works well with airgun too and are cheap. Fx chorny is ok but at @200 its not worth it imo. You are paying more for the brand name than for the chorny itself.
Been looking for my 1st outdoor chrony - I only want to know a pellets muzzle velocity.
After reading a lot of reviews, seems all the sun shield ones are finicky outdoors and a pain to setup.
FX is not the magic chrony, that can do everything every time.
Magnet and Radar Lab are very expensive when used once or twice a month.

You seem satisfied with an under $50 chrony.
Can you give me their names, and which one you like best.
Thanks, Bill R

OK, I thought I needed an FX.
Sounds like I don’t. NICE!

Would you please have some details/links of what China chrony you're talking about?

Requirements:
Not light dependent
Backpack friendly size
Preferrably one I don't have to hang on the barrel but could put on a DIY stand

Thanks for saving me one and a half large bills! 😊

Matthias

I do not have an FX or a LabRadar, but for many years I was using Doppler radars to measure muzzle velocities on small arms trials. These were multi thousand dollar professional units, not the cheaper private use models, and they were set up and operated by professional instrumentation engineers. On all the trials, we had at least two units operating together for every shot.

In all the trials, the biggest problems we had was with the radar units giving different readings. Minute changes in position and aiming of the radar could give big changes in the velocity readings. Now we were trying to achieve greater accuracy of the readings (hence the multiple units) than most people will want, but what was most concerning was the way two units could start agreeing very well with each other and then the readings would start drifting away from each other with each successive shot. With one unit, you would not notice the slow drift in velocity reading accuracy.

There are other issues as well, such as how the muzzle velocity is derived from the measured data and the positioning of the unit. The advantage of the LabRadar is the sheer amount of data you can get from it, but it needs careful analysis with the right methodology to extract the correct results.

I have had a Prochrono for years which has always worked outside for me, and indoors using cheap LED lights stuck to the shades above the photocells using plasticine. You can position it down range as well to obtain velocity decay using two calibrated units.

Yesterdays post:

I've owned a Pro-Chrono for many years and also an FX. The Pro is more reliable and consisitent IMO, but requires a tripod and time to set up all the parts. The FX is nice to use, but finicky at times to pair it to your phone. When it does't read, that's an indication that the batteries need replacment. I use the FX in my basement to tune my guns, but when outside at the range all day, I prefer to use the Pro. The Pro is cheaper too. $129 at Midway. Each one has it's benefits.