Yesterday i asked if chrono is needed. Now i want to know if to buy FX, Caldwell or something else and why?

Either a clamp on or a stand alone Chinese one that doesn't depend on visible light. They are inexpensive, accurate enough for any airgun purpose, are not fussy about light level like "normal" chronographs like the Caldwell, have rechargable batteries so no battery cost like the FX, do not require setting a velocity scale like the FX and they are very easy to set up and use. Price should be $50 or less. The one disadvantage is the user interface is pretty crude and the instructions are in Chinese. But you can find an english translation on-line. I just push the on button and write down the readings as I shoot. They record but I'd have to read the instructions to get the string back out. I prefer to keep it simple so I write down the readings.

to me, it doesnt matter too much .. i use a chrono to dial a setup in then it sits, my life isnt constant tuning .. if it was id bust 2 big bills+ on the fx, but the caldwell for 75 does the trick, it is fussy about lighting but you learn what works and its not a dogknot hanging off the end of my barrel like the effexth lol .. a cheap 9v rechargeable set on ebay does multiple birds with one stone around the house including the caldwell ..

Reactions: tibor
Last edited:
Unless you plan to record and save lots of long chronograph strings, just get one of the inexpensive clamp-on types the guys here are recommending. I have 2 nicer chronographs (FX radar and CE ProChrono) but for most day-to-day needs, I opt for the clamp-on. It never misses a reading and that’s not something I can say about any traditional screen-type or radar chronograph.

Well I have a LabRadar, by time I get the Tripod, Battery connected, microphone, aimed, it's a solid 5 minutes. Great data, saved to a Micro Card for later plotting. Depending on how well I've placed the Mic, it will miss a shot. The mic needs to be in front and off to one side to "hear" the shot and start the counter. You can look at the individual shots every 0.001 second if you'd like. Changing Pellet weight is menu driven as well as setting distances to calculated the data.

If I had to do it over, I think I would have bought a less expensive unit.

Smitty

OK, I thought I needed an FX.
Sounds like I don’t. NICE!

Would you please have some details/links of what China chrony you're talking about?

Requirements:
Not light dependent
Backpack friendly size
Preferrably one I don't have to hang on the barrel but could put on a DIY stand

Thanks for saving me one and a half large bills! 😊

Matthias

Have a Shooting Chrony and Fx. Both work.
Chrony is picky with light screens and pellet placement over sensors. Also heavy and needs sturdy tripod to support. Can be a pain to get lined up when alone. Then the question of how far from barrel to place it so any moisture puff from barrel doesn’t read on humid days. Works great for powder burners though.
Fx has nice interface for recording shots and emailing them for later use. When used attached to barrel affects poi. On small tripod works good once you get it lined up properly, which can be frustrating. Not had an issue with battery life, 3 aaa seem to last quite a while.

Overall I prefer Fx.

But have only used these two for experience.

OK, I thought I needed an FX.
Sounds like I don’t. NICE!

Would you please have some details/links of what China chrony you're talking about?

Requirements:
Not light dependent
Backpack friendly size
Preferrably one I don't have to hang on the barrel but could put on a DIY stand

Thanks for saving me one and a half large bills! 😊

Matthias
Here is the Amazon link
VIKKA Premium Precision Ballistic Chronograph Shooting Arrow Velocity Meter Velocimetry Measuring Tool Chargeable Fixable https://a.co/d/eneffeG

$34 on Amazon. You can get it for $24 on AliExpress if you are willing to wait a couple weeks for the shipping via the slow boat from China.

Depends on how big time you want to be and your money to burn.

You can go super fancy or just basic plain jane.

Me so far just the cheap $30 one does what i ask .

Do i really need anymore over that? So far no. If it ever was to fail ,well im put 30$ not 100's . I got pen and paper can do math so cellphone, printing out and all not nessary here for me. That money saved i can use towards more pellets..😜

If you want to look professional then spend.. in the end how you want to gather your guns fps is all up to you . Not me , him or the guy down the road.

Also ots not a tool i use everyday every shot and sits till i do decide to use it for a quick shot string check of somthing . Ya know?

I have used the FX one to tune my rifle the APP is awesome, you can put it right under the gun and it works or even put it on the barrel (some people don't like this) I have found good uses on the barrel to just gauge the speed then once I have a desired speed I zero the rifle. If I have to change anything, check the speed again and boom rinse, repeat. The app works wonders, being able to run strings and long history helps a lot too.

I can't figure out how to copy a link with my touchpad but if you go to Aliexpress and search "shooting chronograph" you will find a lot of options. The one I prefer is now $29.41 with free shipping. I think I paid closer to $50 for it. It mounts on a tripod. I prefer it to the clamp on model because the clamp on shifts my POI. I often shoot groups at the same time I am measuring velocity. It doesn't really have to be mounted to anything. I set it on a block of wood to get it to the right height to shoot through from my side porch where my shooting bench is. There seem to be some with better user interfaces too.

I have a Prochrono and I am pleased, runs on 9 v battery , the light kit runs on 120 volt, I have not tried mine outside and have always used the light kit indoors. Put it on the tripod that came with my caldwell ,, it broke
I also have a pro chrono and the light kit so you can use it indoors. It does work inside as well as outdoors. I then bought a Lab Radar unit. It's a lot more money but does a lot more stuff.

I have the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital and the CE ProChrono Digital Deluxe with blue tooth set up on a tripod. Once I got the light kit, it never misses a beat. For me, the light kit is a must have. The CE ProChrono series is not the most convenient or portable and definitely not the cheapest but it works for me. I don't spend countless hours or days shooting through a chrony.

Last edited: