Yep…Weihrauch is better than Air Arms…sorry not sorry

So after owning both a Weihrauch HW98 + 2 HW95s and an Air Arms TX200…I can conclude that after seeing the internals of both and their firing cycles+accuracy…the HW98 is the better rifle. My TX200 has a smoother action sure (it’s got a V-Mach kit and all polished internals with a brand new seal from ARH)…but it really doesn’t matter to me since the design is plainly less desirable to me. My HW98 is practically stock aside from some Krytox. In my eyes the Weihrauchs are built to last while the AAs require the aid of their lifetime warranty. I wish this not to be slander…I’m just speaking from my own experience. Yours may differ. If you’re stuck between an HW98/HW97K or an Air Arms TX200…then go with the Weihrauch. I give you my word that no stock TX200 can outperform a stock HW98 or HW97K in accuracy. Only thing the AA will outperform the Weihrauch in is no spring sound and a smoother shot cycle. Then again a small bottle of Krytox will take the spring buzz noise away and is only $20. The TX200 goes for $700 without tax while the HW97K is selling for $500 total on Krale. You can be the judge of which one is worth it.

Edit: I should mention that there is a reason why Steve from AEAC asked to keep the blue laminate HW97 he reviewed but did not do the same for the TX200 he reviewed. Don’t quote me on it though.

Regards

Last edited:
I could say you are full of bs , but I won't .I do own both brands and both are good to me, yes my experience differs because I would not say what you say,I will say I love my HW97,95 and 50,but that does not mean I do not have love for my TX200.what we need is more love in this world.

I could say you are full of bs , but I won't .I do own both brands and both are good to me, yes my experience differs because I would not say what you say,I will say I love my HW97,95 and 50,but that does not mean I do not have love for my TX200.what we need is more love in this world.
He didn’t say it was a bad rifle… he just said one was a higher build quality

I have owned many British and German made airguns over the past 40 years. Have always preferred the Weihrauch brand. It’s not so much that one is “better” than another but certainly a better value. Also being a lefty I always liked the ambidextrous design of the 97. Never understood AA’s lack of entry on the loading port of the TX200. Many right handed shooters load with their left hand also. It took many years “decades” for the Brits to even get a comparable trigger to the Rekord that Weihrauch has been using for over half a century. Both are awesome quality airguns for sure, but IMHO the Weihrauch brand is the ’better” value to be had.

Last edited:
Reactions: dasman and Maizen
Agreed. Both of my 97Ks outperformed my TX out of the box up until recently. My TX trigger was also very gritty when I got it. After disassembling the trigger unit I saw how poorly the sears were finished. It took a polish job but now it is perfect.

After quite a bit of fiddling, my TX now outshoots my .177 97K by a decent amount but still only beats my .22 97K by a hair. The .22 also puts out 6fpe more energy at the muzzle so the little extra performance is a wash. Also, I'm only $600 into the 97s meanwhile I'm closer to $1200 into the TX. All of that extra money and the 97 still feels better to shoot. I find the TX to be way to front heavy which makes shouldering it a bit uncomfortable for my smaller arms.

Reactions: Maizen
Agreed. Both of my 97Ks outperformed my TX out of the box up until recently. My TX trigger was also very gritty when I got it. After disassembling the trigger unit I saw how poorly the sears were finished. It took a polish job but now it is perfect.

After quite a bit of fiddling, my TX now outshoots my .177 97K by a decent amount but still only beats my .22 97K by a hair. The .22 also puts out 6fpe more energy at the muzzle so the little extra performance is a wash. Also, I'm only $600 into the 97s meanwhile I'm closer to $1200 into the TX. All of that extra money and the 97 still feels better to shoot. I find the TX to be way to front heavy which makes shouldering it a bit uncomfortable for my smaller arms.
Inherently, 177’s are more accurate than 22’s. I can’t imagine your 22, 97 out performing your 177 97. This is my 97 with a Vortek tuning kit, CS Custom Stock and Nikon airgun scope and I still have far less in it than your TX200.
208A50A5-77BD-4B8F-B927-AEA7CA96FA88.jpeg
DB3A53DD-CAA2-40F0-BF4B-66523FC808B0.jpeg

It’s all subjective and based on the luck of the draw, it’s like comparing BMWs and Mercedes. Over the years I have gone through six Weihrauchs, two of which are 97ks. I also owned four Air Arms and four Walthers. Almost all the Weihrauchs had issues with loose spring guides causing twang, needed fat pellets in .22 (fine in .177), had stiff triggers out of the box, poor tolerances in the cocking levers for the 97ks, razor sharp internals, stock screws that needed locktite, and lastly hard to disassemble internals.

The TXs and ProSports fared better but they had issues too such as problems with the safety latch, chips embedded in the piston seal, wobbly triggers due to tolerance issues and excess bonder gunk at the barrel assembly.

Overall I’ve liked the performance and feel of the Air Arms better but these guns target different market segments so they aren’t exactly apples to apples comparisons.

If I could order a Frankenstein of the best attributes it would be the smoothness and build quality of the Walther LGU, the trigger & finish of the TX200 with it’s easy dissembly.

If you can fix the relatively minor issues with each of these guns they are on par with each other in accuracy. It’s personal preference that really makes the difference.

-Marty

Reactions: Frogy and Maizen
So after owning both a Weihrauch HW98 + 2 HW95s and an Air Arms TX200…I can conclude that after seeing the internals of both and their firing cycles…the HW98 is the better rifle. My TX200 has a smoother action sure (it’s got a V-Mach kit and all polished internals with a brand new seal from ARH)…but it really doesn’t matter to me since the design is plainly less desirable to me. My HW98 is practically stock aside from some Krytox. In my eyes the Weihrauchs are built to last while the AAs require the aid of their lifetime warranty. I wish this not to be slander…I’m just speaking from my own experience. Yours may differ. If you’re stuck between an HW98/HW97K or an Air Arms TX200 (similar price points)…then go with the Weihrauch. I give you my word that no stock TX200 can outperform a stock HW98 or HW97K in accuracy. Only thing the AA will outperform the Weihrauch in is no spring sound. Then again a small bottle of Krytox will take that noise away and is only $20. The TX200 goes for $700 without tax while the HW97K is selling for $500 total on Krale. You can be the judge of which one is worth it.

Regards

And blonds are prettier than brunettes, red cars are faster than blue cars, sausage is better than bacon.............................

As you say, each of our experiences and opinions may differ. Weihrauch offers a much wider set of choices in the quality spring gun category, whereas AA offers just two, and at a higher price point. Mainly for that reason, I own more Weihrauch guns and their offerings better fit my shooting and hunting needs than AA. IMHO, the hw50s is the perfect target and small game springer.

That said, I think the build quality and accuracy is excellent with both brands. My hw97k and pro sport have put tens of thousands of pellets down the barrel with zero trouble. Nothing in my experience supports your claim that HW is inherently more accurate or that an AA gun ‘will require the aid of its lifetime warranty’.

R

❤️. This was in response to those who are stuck between the two. I really do believe the Weihrauch will last longer by design. No hate.

Inherently, 177’s are more accurate than 22’s. I can’t imagine your 22, 97 out performing your 177 97. This is my 97 with a Vortek tuning kit, CS Custom Stock and Nikon airgun scope and I still have far less in it than your TX200. View attachment 271580View attachment 271581
Yeah I know it doesn't sound right but it does. I imagine with some more toying around with it the .177 could surpass the .22 but as of right now, the .22 is a clear winner. That being said, wind is a huge factor where I shoot so saying "my .22 is much easier to shoot accurately" would probably have been the better choice of words.

Your 97 is absolutely gorgeous by the way!

What happened to the Air Arms Pro Elite? Bad tube tolerances, cheesy sintered metal parts, and piston seals that fell off......

The TX isn't without it's fair share of problems too, despite having no improvements to fix them in it's entire production run.

Weihrauch has far fewer issues, and without the outrageous MSRP that the Air Arms guns bring.

I shoot Weihrauchs, and you couldn't give me another Air Arms. Everyone has different standards and what they "require" of a gun, and some can't tell the difference or care. And some people believe in form over function, and some go the other way. It's all in what you value in a gun.

Reactions: dasman and Maizen
The only current Weihrauch’s in .177 and .22 I don’t have is the HW57. And 4 TX’s and 2 Pro Sports and 5 - 97’s. All are not modified. Enjoy them all.
I absolutely love the feel of the AA’s. I think I shoot better with them. And I like the PS more than 200’s. (No anti bear trap).
But I agree with Mustafamalikzad, that 98 is special. It’s feels good, real easy to load. a laser and I love her looks.
Tough one. Can’t go wrong with either.
I always thought the perfect underlever gun to me would be the TX with the 97 breach. Crow