Year Round Squirrel Hunting

In the east, grey and red squirrels have broods in March and June/July, give or take a couple of weeks. The young develop rapidly and are capable to survive without the female by May and August. I'm an avid squirrel hunter and retired wildlife biologist. I would not like to shoot squirrels when they are likely to have unweaned broods in their dens. Squirrel populations would not be endangered by hunting year round. But it would be like shooting whitetail deer Does within a couple weeks of having birthed fawns.

I think (but not sure) that ground squirrels are the 13-line variety and don't include chipmunks. I don't have a problem at all with anyone shooting chipmunks, I've done my share of shooting them at camp where there are a crapload of them and they cause all kinds of damage. But generally I don't shoot them out in the woods. Gotta leave something for the hawks and owls. ;-)

"Bob_O"I think (but not sure) that ground squirrels are the 13-line variety and don't include chipmunks. I don't have a problem at all with anyone shooting chipmunks, I've done my share of shooting them at camp where there are a crapload of them and they cause all kinds of damage. But generally I don't shoot them out in the woods. Gotta leave something for the hawks and owls. ;-)
My bad ! I had though they were the same. I looked them up, seems that it is a common misconception.