• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Y'all check my math

So I've decided to commit to shooting an air gun for PRS and NRL-22 matches. My current laser gun (Delta Wolf .30) won't work because I would have to use pellets for PRS matches (out to 350 yards) and the only magazine option I can find bigger than 8 rounds is a Charlie mag. So I'm 85% sold on a Panthera, but I'm agonizing over .22 or .25. Strelok to the rescue.
I got my dope for my current competition 22lr at 100 yard, 200 yards and 300 yards with the mils for a 10 mph side wind at each yardage. Then I did the same for my .30 Zan pellets in my Delta Wolf. Then I started playing with .22 and .25 slugs and different velocities. The results were pretty amazing (on paper). I also put in some "known good" settings for some of the slugs to try to get more useful data (the .25 Kings at 885 fps, the NSA 31.2gr at 1000 fps). Here is my data, again this is all straight out of Strelok. The numbers are pretty solid for the first two entries, everything else is theoretical. The data points are in mils, not inches.

100y10mph wind200y10mph wind300y10mph wind
RPR 22lr 1070 fps1.91.37.32.414.23.4
Delta Wolf Zan .30 864 fps31.611.73.323.15.1
0.25 altaros ATP smooth 95020.67.81.214.51.9
0.25 altaros atp smooth 8852.40.691.216.71.8
0.22 altaros ATP King 95020.67.81.214.51.9
.22 nsa 31.2g 1000fps21.58.42.816.74.2

So according to this (in theory) the .25 Altaros Smooth has the same BC as the .22 Altaros King so the numbers are the same at the same velocity. Because the .25 is 49.5 gr and the .22 is 40 grains, I feel like I should be looking at the .22 since I should be able to get the slugs up to speed easier with the slightly lighter weight. Plus the magazine capacity will be better with the .22.

In the real world, does the Altaros King .22 perform as well as the .25 Smooth? Are there reasons I should be looking at the .25 over the .22? My initial thought was to shoot the .25 because heavier is generally better when the wind is the biggest factor, but the PRS air rifle rules limit the projectile weight to 49 grains (and 50 grains for .30, so I couldn't use my Zan pellets even if I wanted to). So if I'm limited to 49 grains anyway, I think .22 might be the way to go to get better magazine capacity and maybe the ability to shoot a little hotter for a flatter trajectory. What is a realistic velocity to push Altaros Kings from a 700mm .22 Panthera?

I would appreciate feedback from anyone that has something to contribute. I posted here instead of in the PCP or Ammo sections because I didn't want to open this up to the peanut gallery that just regurgitates what some guy on another forum said about an Impact shooting Patriot slugs at an indoor 300 yard range in Antarctica.

I shoot the .22 ATP Kings at about 910, and @Centercut shoots the .25 smooths at about 890 (if memory serves). My Panthera is a 600, and I think his is too (?). The Altaros slugs like velocities around 900, so you don't need to try to push them. I'm sure the 700 mm will shoot them fine too.

Aside from those, the new Zan ELR slugs look interesting, but obviously no real world data on them yet.

I have no reservations recommending the Panthera, however you might do well to wait a bit for some reviews of the DRS Pro and the Red Panda PRS. I'm quite interested in both myself.

I have a .25 King in 600 mm shooting the 49.5 Altaros round nose slug and a .22 Panthera 700 mm currently set up for the H&N 34 grain heavy slug (though I recently purchased some 40 gr Altaros to test but the weather has not been cooperative yet).

I shot both rifles yesterday in very variable wind conditions and it is incredible as to how well they perform. I would not hesitate to compete with either platform. Strictly from the bench, the Panthera 700 mm would be my choice but the 600 mm King configuration certainly has a better balance and feel for all types of shooting.

The accuracy capabilities of each rifle are nearly equal. Obviously, the .22 has a slightly flatter trajectory. I would probably choose the .22 for your purposes.

Reactions: scotton
Why can't you use slugs? NRL22 rules state that you can use slugs in 30 caliber, but pellets only in 35 caliber. Why limit yourself?
2023 & 2024 Rules,
Air Rifle division is for competitors using a rifle that operates with compressed air to fire a pellet or slug. Projectiles cannot exceed 85 grains and must be .35 caliber or lower. Projectiles must be mass produced

Why can't you use slugs? NRL22 rules state that you can use slugs in 30 caliber, but pellets only in 35 caliber. Why limit yourself?
Yes, but the PRS rules say pellets only for .30. There is one NRL-22 match 3 hours away from me but I can shoot PRS any given weekend so I need to be able to do both. And even if I wanted to use slugs in my Delta Wolf, I'm still handcuffed by the 8 round magazine.

Reactions: woogie_man
I shoot the .22 ATP Kings at about 910, and @Centercut shoots the .25 smooths at about 890 (if memory serves). My Panthera is a 600, and I think his is too (?). The Altaros slugs like velocities around 900, so you don't need to try to push them. I'm sure the 700 mm will shoot them fine too.

Aside from those, the new Zan ELR slugs look interesting, but obviously no real world data on them yet.

I have no reservations recommending the Panthera, however you might do well to wait a bit for some reviews of the DRS Pro and the Red Panda PRS. I'm quite interested in both myself.
Thanks for the info. My plan is to have everyone else jump on the DRS Pro and Red Panda, and then I'll swoop in and liberate their Pantheras. I'm a fan of Zan and I'm looking forward to their ELR slugs.

PRS rules

2.4 Airgun Division
2.4 Airgun division is for competitors using a rifle that operates with compressed air to fire a pellet or slug in 22, 25 or 30 caliber. Airgun has no restrictions on price.
2.4.1 Airguns MUST follow all projectile speed restrictions as other rimfire divisions.
2.4.2 Projectiles must be mass produced. 22 and 25 caliber airguns can use pellets or slugs and cannot exceed a weight limit of 49 grains
2.4.3 Projectiles must be mass produced. 30 caliber airguns are limited to ONLY pellets and cannot exceed a weight limit of 50 grains. NO slugs.

Math is okay but an FX is a no go, that is unless you enjoy creep! You are a creep so creep plus creep equals freak! You have that covered already, Sas! You need a .22 Uragan 2 - 700 shooting the .22 Altaros with a Tenacious tune. There you go.

I wish AGT would do a PRS/NRL specialized rifle and chassis system because I like how well my V3 holds zero. It does ok in UFT but not sure how well it'd do for the matches this thread is about, because mainly how lightweight it is, the rearward balance, other???

the v3 ain't no slouch !

Have you had any trouble getting it in barricade openings as far as how low the stock is compared to how high the scope turrets are?

When I handled a fellow competitor's 16-ish pound Panthera which was tricked out and weighted I felt outclassed compared to my V3 in most ways.
Much how I also felt when my friend bought a Vudoo 22rf that was tricked out and weighed 22 pounds. His rifle was silly in how awesome it was off obstacles compared to my 9 pound Anschutz 1827F. He became almost dominant from then on until some of the other good shooters did the same as he had done. I shot another few matches and quit going, LOL! Though part of that was the traveling, finances, and getting into other things as well as I would have had to sell some stuff I didn't want to so I could afford a new Vudoo.

Truthfully I really like the "all out" PRS rifles but have been burned by FX a couple times and don't like tuning, retuning, POI shifts, sending guns back, all that stuff.

Reactions: scotton
Have you had any trouble getting it in barricade openings as far as how low the stock is compared to how high the scope turrets are?

When I handled a fellow competitor's 16-ish pound Panthera which was tricked out and weighted I felt outclassed compared to my V3 in most ways.
IMG_1067.jpeg

This is where, for a bullpup, the U2 does very well. The thinner long 530cc bottle and the thinner than most, from scope rail to bottom is good for tight barricades. It also has the bottle protector that I’ve added “dog bone” weights to the m-lok slots.

Math is okay but an FX is a no go, that is unless you enjoy creep! You are a creep so creep plus creep equals freak! You have that covered already, Sas! You need a .22 Uragan 2 - 700 shooting the .22 Altaros with a Tenacious tune. There you go.
If you can work some of your gnomish magic and flip the bottle on the Uragan 2 around to the back, I'll bite. Otherwise, I already have the finest Tenacious bottle gun ever made, I just can't use a bottle gun for PRS matches. Imagine sticking your gun into a 5 inch slot (that's what she said) and being able to look through the scope. That's what I'm dealing with at some of these PRS matches.
I'm thinking a Huma reg should make it so that I'm the only creep in the equation.

If you can work some of your gnomish magic and flip the bottle on the Uragan 2 around to the back, I'll bite. Otherwise, I already have the finest Tenacious bottle gun ever made, I just can't use a bottle gun for PRS matches. Imagine sticking your gun into a 5 inch slot (that's what she said) and being able to look through the scope. That's what I'm dealing with at some of these PRS matches.
I'm thinking a Huma reg should make it so that I'm the only creep in the equation.
I thought you liked a challenge, Sas.