• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results Xtreme Field Target Phoenix April 2022 Match Report

Winners

winners.1650845695.jpg

Left to right: Mike S, Wayne, M, Sandy C, Bobby C, and Doug T. 

For those who haven't had the privilege of attending, the course is on far side of the berm in the background of the above photo, with most shots being up the side of those hills. 

Mother Nature took pity on us poor Arizona airgun shooters and granted an abnormally cool late April Phoenix day. Before the match I was standing under the shade and thought to myself, "that little bit of wind is almost cold!" I'd guess low 80s out in the full sun at the peak of the day. In the sense of weather, it was simply a beautiful day. I think a bit more wind than we had on Sat of the Grand Prix last month, but I don't think as much wind yesterday as they had on Sun of the Grand Prix. Most of the wind was coming from behind us, switching back and forth to be coming from left or right shoulder, going out to the targets up the hill east of us. 

We had 20 shooters show up, one wasn't shooting for an official score though, as his slugs were self-swaged (one of the rules is that ammo has to be commercially manufactured/mass produced). He ended up with a DNF as I heard second-hand that he was having equipment problems. 

So, here are the stats for the other 19. 

April 2022 XFT.1650846088.jpg

Sorry for the small font, I was trying to crowd in all the info I usually provide in a couple different tables into just one. 

Lane 3 far and Lane 10 far were included since they're the hardest targets on the course. Offhand included b/c there's usually interest there as well. 

Standouts for me as compiled the data and/or heard the discussion at the post match meeting....

• Heard a comment that Bobby's winning score ties with Peykan for the XFT PHX record. 
  • Top 3 pellets scores were HOTLY contested. 
  • This is only Doug's second XFT match. His first was a couple months ago, using .22/18.13s. Seems he found himself a gun that can launch a better BC pellet, although that's not the only reason he's in the top 3. Doug is a heck of a shooter, often showing up and beating us in regular field target after we havent seen him for a few months. He even won the state match for regular FT with a .22. 
  • Looks like Doug was the only pellet shooter to get 4/4 on the 100 yard shots.
  • Wayne M had the highest far target knockdown ratio of anybody, with a 18/20 (dang rimfire guys, lol).
  • Mike S also got all 4 100 yard targets (dang rimfire guys, AGAIN). 
  • Dan L was the only shooter to knock down more than half of the offhand shots. Dang rimfire guys-x3 on Dan's suggestion. 
  • If we were giving out a "most improved" award it would go to Mike C. This is also only his second match and he shot very well yesterday. 
  • Some great shooting hidden in those details! 

Winners will get windicators from JD's Custom Design. Thanks JD!

Thanks to Phoenix Rod and Gun Club for sharing their facilities. 

Also want to express appreciation for Ben and staff for setting up/tearing down the course as well as painting/maintaining the targets. 

All in all I had a great time and saw many smiles to suggest other shooters did as well. 

(all photo credit to Peykan B). 

peykan.1650847139.jpg
the gang.1650847139.jpg
van.1650847139.jpg

It was a VERY nice day for the Phoenix area ! THANKS again Cole, for another great match report !

It is pretty funny that only 1 offhand separated Sandy and me. We even missed a lot of the same targets 😂 FUN day ! Glad the weather cooperated and Ben decided to go for it !

THANKS to Ben, JD Custom Designs and Phx Rod and Gun Club !

Also interesting that Peykan has been helping Van get straightened out and Van came out ahead of him this month... good shooting , Van !

Looking forward to Aspen mtn/Luna now 😀

Bob

Glad I was able to come shoot with all of you. Great group of shooters! Thanks to Ben and all who put in lots of work to pull this off. Xtreme and the "In the Works" After-Dark Xtreme are a great example of expanding the sport, including different weapon choices along with requiring an ever expanding skill set. That is the way to stir up lots of interest here, Thanks for thinking outside the box Ben! Heck, I found out about this format, tried it with my little .22 300 Royale and went right down to AOA and bought my .22HiPower RedWolf. Gonna give that purchase a lot of credit for improving my score. Don't look up what I shot last time with my 300 Royale! haha...

I just love the landscape and location of this venue. It was fun to shoot this event and rush off and change for a formal event right afterwards down in Casa Grande. Airgunners are a diverse group!

Thanks to Cole for putting so much personality, useful information, pictures and statistics into these results. I've got that $20 for you, for your comments about me. 

Another great event. Thanks to Ben and the people who help put it on.

We have to get more slug shooters!

I'm going to give slugs another go this summer, specifically the .177/20.5grain NSAs. But I was also looking through the slug shelf last night and thinking of some stuff I haven't yet tried out in .22. 

If I can find a slug that can outshoot the .22/MRD pellets (at the relatively low power of my guns--roughly 45fpe and down), I'll compete with them (at least occasionally) at next winter's XFT matches. 

It was a VERY nice day for the Phoenix area ! THANKS again Cole, for another great match report !

It is pretty funny that only 1 offhand separated Sandy and me. We even missed a lot of the same targets 😂 FUN day ! Glad the weather cooperated and Ben decided to go for it !

THANKS to Ben, JD Custom Designs and Phx Rod and Gun Club !

Also interesting that Peykan has been helping Van get straightened out and Van came out ahead of him this month... good shooting , Van !

Looking forward to Aspen mtn/Luna now 😀

Bob

REALLY close between the top three pellet shooters. Another one or two shots in there somewhere and....I'd bet money that Sandy will be doing a bit of offhand practice before we all meet again for some XFT! I personally have been thinking about how I could integrate some offhand practice into my life. 

Glad I was able to come shoot with all of you. Great group of shooters! Thanks to Ben and all who put in lots of work to pull this off. Xtreme and the "In the Works" After-Dark Xtreme are a great example of expanding the sport, including different weapon choices along with requiring an ever expanding skill set. That is the way to stir up lots of interest here, Thanks for thinking outside the box Ben! Heck, I found out about this format, tried it with my little .22 300 Royale and went right down to AOA and bought my .22HiPower RedWolf. Gonna give that purchase a lot of credit for improving my score. Don't look up what I shot last time with my 300 Royale! haha...

I just love the landscape and location of this venue. It was fun to shoot this event and rush off and change for a formal event right afterwards down in Casa Grande. Airgunners are a diverse group!

Thanks to Cole....... I've got that $20 for you, for your comments about me.

Don't forget the interest Doug. 

And yes I wholeheartedly agree that these monthly extreme ft matches were a great idea. Thanks Ben! 

Wonderful thing your doing out there ,wish i could have participated , but it looks more like bench rest than FT ?

All the photos this month were from the post match meeting, where we were sitting under the shade while shooters were finishing/filtering in and then scores were being tabulated. 

This is the position from which shots are taken.....

PXL_20220326_195457919.1650923922.jpg

And usually a couple offhand shots, but the majority from "bucket/stool and sticks."

I should have been supplying this information for all the matches, BUT, on the National Weather Service website a specific location can be pinpointed and then it gives weather readings for that location, likely the weather station closest to wherever you pinpoint. Anyway, I pinpointed PRGC and pulled this up, for roughly the times in which we were shooting on Saturday.

weather.1650930597.jpg

Wind speed/direction measurements given in 5 minute increments. Keeping that 5 minute increment in mind, check out all the directions and speeds. Wind wasn't howling by any means, but it dang sure couldn't figure out which direction or how fast it wanted to blow, which results in some of THE MOST difficult shooting conditions. All those direction and velocity changes makes for lots of oopsies at trigger break. 

Columns going from left to right: date/time, temp (F), dew point (F), relative humidity, wind direction, wind speed

Ha, finally! reached out and snatched that pebble right out of his hand. Take that Peykan.

Big thanks to Steve at AOA who finally sorted out my human to gun relationship... He really did me a solid, a great tune on the HiPwr Red Wolf .25 cal and spit shine on the barrel And with that new Fluetter valve assembly..? Cant argue with results: Feb I shot a 16/48 March GP, I was out of the hunt early. BUT! This recent April shoot was 35/48...Very happy! Now its on me to learn the wind. that was a good day, even though I came in 4th, very happy with that score. 

"It is pretty funny that only 1 offhand separated Sandy and me. We even missed a lot of the same targets".

Great shooting Mrs. and Mr. Corcorran! Suspicious types might suspect the lady let you win... but of course we all know you'd never stoop so low as to bribe a girl to let you win. 

BTW, that sure is a lovely new necklace BB Girl has been flaunting all week. ;-)