• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results Xtreme Field Target Nov 2021 Match Report

We had the November match yesterday at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club. Beautiful weather (if not a bit warm for my high elevation acclimated tendencies and preferences). Very minimal wind to deal with and temps that were probably 75-80 degrees. Bright sunny day, up to being even a bit toasty out in the full sun.

PANORAMA.1638085581.jpg

CACTUS.1638086940.jpg
PANORAMA1.1638086940.jpg

Starting with (rather the the typical ending with) thank you's and acknowledgements......JDs Custom Design (@ https://jdscustomdesign.com/ ) and Robert Buchanan, representing Airguns of Arizona (@ https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/ ) very generously sponsored the match this month. JDs Custom supplied 4 prize packages, sending two shooters home with gift certificates for 2 complete scope wheel packages, and two additional shooters with $50 each. Thank you JD's Custom Design!!! Robert of AOA thought it would be neat to give a lucky shooter an early Christmas gift, and donated a wrapped package. There was a lot of excitement and anticipation about what could be underneath that wrapping paper. Sandy and I even hefted it and had fun speculating about what it could be, like two kids sneaking into the gifts under the tree. Thank you Robert and AOA!!! I'll share what it was towards the end of the report. 

And thanks to PR&G Club for supplying some awesome medals this month! (and for letting us use your facilities every month)

Here are Robert's gift and the medals.

CHRISTMAS GIFT AND MEDALS.1638086401.jpg

And much appreciation to Ben for all the behind the scenes work, as well as Van and Mike and Barry and whoever else helped set up and tear down the course. It wouldn't happen without all of that mostly unwitnessed effort.

Some photos taken along the sight in line. 

2021-11-27_21h38_51.1638086705.jpg
AKELA.1638086705.jpg
BOBCAT.1638086706.jpg
DELTA.1638086706.jpg
SANDY.1638086707.jpg
VAN.1638086707.jpg

We had a total of 17 shooters and at least 5 spectators, checking it out to see if they'd like to shoot in the future. I think Centercut held the record for furthest traveled, coming in from San Diego. I'm likely next, at just about 3 hours away, we also had some Tucson shooters and some from Flagstaff, and Camp Verde, and even Tonto Basin.

FISH AND COVID.1638088354.jpg
FISH AND RONA ZOOMED.1638088354.jpg

"You're killing me Smalls!" I was shooting with Van and that was his assessment of the course. Not too many shots in and we all realized we were dealing with a pretty tough course. Ben (Match Director), when planning for the match saw that we were forecasted to have minimal wind. So he shrunk the kill zone sizes down just a bit from the previous match. That's the beauty of these targets that he and Mike S developed, just swap out the kill zone and drastically change the difficulty level/course design. Ben told me that he came down 1/4 of an inch on all the kill zone sizes from what they were in October, minus the offhand lanes-he left those the same size they were in October. We marveled at how much harder that 1/4 of an inch made it, as it was blatantly apparent that we were shooting a tough course. Steve M also had a 100% accurate assessment when he told me something to the effect of his scope movement was larger than the kill zone sizes, essentially saying the kzs were too small to hold on. 

So, I did the number crunching and the Extreme Troyer Factor for the course was a 41.6975, or basically a 42. The long explanation of what that means is here- https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/extreme-troyer-factor/ The short explanation of what a ETF of 42 means is that the course was extremely difficult. 

For some perspective, last month's overall Extreme Troyer score for the match was a 37, and Van shot a 31/40 on that course. Last Feb's course rating was an ETF of 40 and the high that month was 26/40 and last March's course was an ETF of 32.6 and the high score that month was a 29/40. In short, this month was freaking tough! I can't even imagine how demoralizing it would have been if we'd have had to deal with much wind yesterday. I think I would have cried if the wind had come up during the match. 

It has been interesting to see the trends in the numbers and how that relates to being a shooter on the course. For me, I start thinking targets are pretty tough when theyre in the ballpark of an inch, and past 50 yards ( a 1 inch @ 50 yards would be a ETF of 50).. Well, yesterday we had 6 targets with ETFs greater than 50. I was curious if the results matched my impression so I ran the numbers for those 6 hardest targets and this is what they look like. 

6 HARDEST TARGETS.1638087776.jpg

Edit: found a mistake in the above table, Lane 2 Near was a 1.25 inch kz @ 61 yards (not 37 yards), for ETF of 54.9.

Of the collective shots taken at those 6 hardest targets, less than a third made them fall. And that dirty "near" lane 9 was the highest/hardest ETF of the course, a 1.25" kill zone @ 65 yards...only about 10% (or 1 in 10) shots taken at that one made it fall. TOUGH! 

(I don't have anything to do with the course setting, but just throwing it out there, in hopes that the Match Director reads this.....I'm thinking those 1.25Inch kill zones need to not find themselves much further out than about 52 or 54 yards in the future. Please.)

The scoreboard and equipment list looked like this. (holes are from incomplete scorecards)

scoreboard.1638088600.jpg

Always fun to look at the forced position stats (offhand in this case). 

OFF HAND.1638088393.jpg

Slug shooter Chris...

SLUG HIGH.1638088878.jpg

Rimfire shooters. Mike S with the sun glasses and Steve M with the Team Centercut apparel (orange and black). I timed this photo poorly, sorry Steve. Good shooting to Steve! He was overall high score of 31/40 with his rimfire. And Mike S was next highest score. Those dang powderburners. 

2ND RIMFIRE.1638088493.jpg
HIGH RIMFIRE.1638088493.jpg

Mike S had a couple health scares in the past few months and we're really happy to have him back shooting with us. He's bout half the man he used to be, in size, but still as full of it as he always has been. Good to have you back around Mike, we missed you. 

The top three pellet shooters and their medals...

PELLET WINNERS.1638088827.jpg

and their prizes.....

prizes.1638088855.jpg

(Tie for third broken by longest streak without a miss). 

After all that it was time for the early Christmas present from AOA. We put 17 numbered slips of paper in a basket and predetermined that each shooter's number would be the order in which they signed up for the match, hours earlier. 

Stinkin Centercut's number got drawn out. He wasted no time in tearing off the wrapping paper. And an MTC rangefinder was the result. Neat gesture on Robert and AOA's part. Thanks again. 

Christmas gift winner.1638089130.jpg

This was Wes's first Extreme FT match and he wasn't too sure what to expect. He told me he didnt have any dope date for past 50 yards. He went on to shoot a quite respectable score, given the lack of dope data. He may have even been shooting at sub20fpe, as he came to his first regular field target match a few months ago up north. If that was with sub 20fpe, I'm very impressed. Hope to see you at future matches Wes. 

I think we had some other first time XFT shooters this month in Stephen, Andrew, Donne, and John. I've been to most but not all of the events so I apologize if you've been before and I didn't happen to be there that month. We're glad you came yesterday though, and hope you come back to enjoy some more of the maddening and addicting game that this is. 

Best thing about these matches is that they're fun no matter what the score ends up being. I really like that they give me a reason to shoot through the month, practicing and figuring out how to improve myself or my equipment. Gives a purpose to at-home shooting and goals to work towards.

Almost forget! Photo and short story of this beauty...

HERITAGE.1638089871.jpg

This is Ben's gun. I LOVE that brown lam Red Wolf combo. It's an outwardly impressive looking gun, but has some very exciting stuff going on under the hood. Ben has done tons of independent R&D on the Red Wolf platform. Just in the past few months he's narrowed down some optimizations that have lead to him winning the Arizona State Field Target match in absolutely miserable rainy and windy conditions. He was the overall high score that weekend too. The following month he was the winner of the Extreme FT event at EBR. Ben is a great shooter and his .177 and .25 Red Wolf are exceptional examples, but he'll be sharing some of what he's done to get that extra little bit out of them in the very near future. 

No Extreme FT match in December, as the 4th Saturday is Christmas Day. Next XFT match will be in January, 4th Saturday. We'll get announcements out as we get closer, but put it on your calendars and plan on coming to see how fun and challenging this long range/high power flavor of field target can be. 

Great match report Cole! Love the stats you’ve been putting together. Very nice job!

PS., I shot Ben’s gun after the match, along with Van Tucker. All I can say is whatever Ben has done to his gun, I want it for Bleu (my .22 Red Wolf HP). His mods have raised an already outstanding platform to a new level.

PPS, I just noticed I got photo bombed twice! Once by Donne Fant standing behind me with the big hat and then again by Mike Smiths arm! :)

Had another couple thoughts that I wanted to add.

Hopefully Ben didn't think I was beating up on him too bad about the difficulty level. Yesterday at the match he walked us through the logic that lead him to putting those 1.25in kzs @ 50-65 yards. He explained that we always talk about 1 moa, or groups of 1 inch @ 100 yards. The equivalent would be 0.5 inches @ 50 yards. With that thought, 1.25 @ 60ish yards doesn't seem too tough, but it's much harder than it sounds like it should be. That's the thing about these matches, even typing up the results and analyzing all the stats, from afar, it doesn't seem like it should be nearly as hard as it is in actuality. 

Robert announced that there's some work being done, on a national level, to create a Grand Prix system for us here in AZ, and Ron in Texas (Textreme Field Target) and Wayne and the Oregon guys, and the Oklahoma City guys that are getting Extreme FT matches started, and anybody else who starts having matches. This grand prix system would grant points throughout the year, for doing well at the various matches being held throughout the circuit. The Extreme FT finals (or "Nationals" to borrow a term from regular filed target) would be the annual EFT division of Extreme Benchrest here in AZ, with points from that match also contributing to the yearly total. Robert says an additional award and recognition for the most grand prix points collected through the year would be part of the EBR awards banquet.

Big things coming for Xtreme FT! 

Had another couple thoughts that I wanted to add.

Hopefully Ben didn't think I was beating up on him too bad about the difficulty level. Yesterday at the match he walked us through the logic that lead him to putting those 1.25in kzs @ 50-65 yards. He explained that we always talk about 1 moa, or groups of 1 inch @ 100 yards. The equivalent would be 0.5 inches @ 50 yards. With that thought, 1.25 @ 60ish yards doesn't seem too tough, but it's much harder than it sounds like it should be. That's the thing about these matches, even typing up the results and analyzing all the stats, from afar, it doesn't seem like it should be nearly as hard as it is in actuality.

I see the reasoning but there’s a conceptual error with using MOA at 100 yards. First, no one shoots MOA at 100 yards for a 25 target EBR card. The WINNER this year was about 1.5 inches and the top 20 Pros were well larger than that, up to almost 2 inches. And that is from a solid Benchrest with front bipod and rear bag so the gun is totally steady.

So from a bucket and sticks, let’s expand that to about 3 inches at 100 yards and work from that number for shorter ranges…. Even AAFTA uses 1.5 inch minimum at 50 yards…

Just a bunch of thoughts.....

Cole, thanks man for these detailed reports! I know its a sacrifice for you since you have many other priorities in life so we are all very appreciative.

Thanks to Ben and all who helped for a fine and interesting match. 

I like XFT.

I like high hit ratio's - hint - hint.

I like checking my zero before a match.

I love shooting 22RF on the XFT course! Thanks Ben for urging PRAGC to let us use RF this year.

I don't like low hit ratios.

I don't like shooting pellets at longer distances.

Especially don't like how I look in photos, lol. Mr photogenic here, shrug???

Man, if Bobby and Sandy gets less than a 50% score on a calm day then that means something needs to change badly! 

Off of bucket and sticks I'm barely able to stay inside the KZ on a 2 moa target at the beginning of the match with the nerves being up. As I settle down I'm maybe 25%-30% more steady. Then there's usually wind to deal with and it's also affecting how steady we are, and since it's not always obvious what its doing down range we get duped by that as well.

If we have 1 moa KZ's (or any KZ for that matter) that means to stay clean of splits we need to subtract the caliber we are using from the KZ to get the actual size of the circle to achieve a knockdown. So if shooting 25 cal on a 1" KZ at 50Y we actually need to stay inside 3/4" of center which is difficult to do.

I think if we want to attract more new shooters to the sport of XFT and keep us interested as well, we should make it more enjoyable to them, "and to us", to purposely strive for allowing knocking down of most of the targets.

Sizes at distances I'd like to shoot at.

20Y to 35Y = 1" to 1.25" KZ

36Y to 50Y = 1.5 to 1.75" KZ

51 to 65Y Y = 2" to 2.25" KZ

66Y to 80Y = 2.5" to 3"

81Y to 100Y = 3.25" to 3.5"

I don't know about you guys and gals but I know I'd have more fun shooting at these sizes!!!

Let's not be afraid of letting someone possibly shoot a 40/40 once in a great while!!!

Good points Steve. It was tough fitting my .30 caliber pellets into those smaller KZs. I was joking with Sandy (whom I shot with) that I didn’t think the .30 would fit very well inside those closer up KZs unless it was perfectly in the middle. For the 1” KZ at 50 yards I was effectively shooting about a half inch size. Luckily I got most of the longer shots!

Great time shooting this month. Compliments to Ben for all the hard work he does, and has done for free to make it happen. If you haven’t tried it yet, you will have a blast. Fun time of shooting and fellowship with other like minded shooters, and they don’t say “You paid What for a BB gun” they already know 😅. The next big opportunity is the 4th Saturday In January don’t miss it!

Well Steve123 we can’t make a 3” KZ any bigger. We can make them smaller. When we are setting up the course and adapting KZ sizes we try to see if it is a possible shot. We don’t sit behind a rifle but until you do you can’t imagine the difficulty level. It’s easy to Armchair Quarterback after the match is over. 
We all had to shoot them all the same. 
We are always open to having help the Friday before the match or have someone design the next match with KZ sizes of their choice. If it’s too hard or easy is up to you. But you take the flack from the other shooters. 
it’s kinda like the 3Bears: ones too hard, ones too soft and one is just right. As for my opinion on the targets they were tough but they were hitable which goes to show your score of 31/40. You had to work for every hit and I can attest that you did. 
As far as making you more photogenic that is impossible. Lol

This is only my opinion and everyone has one. It was a good match and good shooting!

Good morning Sturkis.

I'm glad you called me last night. As you explained, it turns out that larger KZ's on the current XFT targets are NOT easy to modify. Maybe the ideas we discussed about the other targets will come to fruition.

Hey I'm all for armchair quarterbacking, lol. You know I'm used to taking flack from setting up FT courses up north for our club so no biggy. I'd be happy to come down in January on Friday to set up the targets and KZ sizes if that's ok with Ben. I'll call him.

Yep, if we had shot our Thomas HPX's using pellets on Saturday we would have been right in there somewhere with the other pellet shooters scores. It's mostly because we have 3 times the BC, 1050 fps, and are all of 100 fpe/22rf that we scored as high as we did. Doesn't hurt having a Anschutz 1827F and a Vudoo either, wink. Next month I want to shoot through a 2nd time with my HPX using my 42gr swaged slugs to see how its comparison in scores comes out!