• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Xtreme Field Target Marksman Division

Yep yep. I threw the Talon out there for specifically that reason, high BC pellets with enough oomph to get them up to speed, AND the cherry on top is a Lothar barrel. Just have to deal with the infamous frame flex and trigger. Will those two be big enough detriments to performance that the gains made from the LW barrel and high fpe will come out in the wash? Who knows, but what fun to play through the possible scenarios because similar pros and cons exist for all the legal Marksman Division scope/gun combos.

I think Ben arrived at dollar limits by studying the market and looking at MSRPs. I also agree that the $500 is generous for scope choice. I've often used my $250-300 SWFAs in the non-Marksman class and done well with it. So, the $500 affords a Marksman shooter quite a nice scope.
Concur, there are at least ten choices for entry level guns under $500... And like you said, many scopes under $300, so $800 total would have made more sense to me. But it's not my party. There are more than a few guys that shoot EFT or FT with scopes that cost well under $500, and those aren't "Marksman Class" guns. My current FT rig that I'll shoot this weekend at Rio is right at $1225 total...

I have also talked to centercut in the past as well as Robert B about how I would like to have an IROC series of sorts. Where manufacturers and vendors supply 1-2 guns each and have a random draw for your gun at each match. This is a HUGE ask and logistically very unlikely to get everyone to participate. So you would have the high-end guys donating more than the smaller manufacturers so again imbalance. This division will be a work in progress, however, if we can pull it off. I think it opens the door for HUGE growth.

Concur, there are at least ten choices for entry level guns under $500... And like you said, many scopes under $300, so $800 total would have made more sense to me. But it's not my party. There are more than a few guys that shoot EFT or FT with scopes that cost well under $500, and those aren't "Marksman Class" guns. My current FT rig that I'll shoot this weekend at Rio is right at $1225 total...
It is not mandatory to spend 500 on a scope that is the limit.!!! LOL

$1225 MSRP? Or sales/used prices? Cuz that's the rub for the Marksman Division.

I realize you're talking about your sub 20 fpe gun, just used that as an example and to stress that the rule for Marksman states MSRP versus acquisition cost.

The goal of how much you can get done with how little gets undermined with maxing out the available budget.
A known handicap factor benefiting very low budget guns/scope could spice it up a bit and level the entry costs.
So an Avenger at half the budget allowance gets a 1.x score boost, makes the benefit to cost a portion of the strategy, not just maxing out allowable budget, but finding a sweet spot.

Reactions: Centercut
Cool Idea. How old could the rifle be? I had a Air Arms s400 from back in like 2013. It was more accurate than any I own today. I don't remember the MSRP but guessing it was 500 - 600 hundred dollars. It wore a old Weaver T series scope. Just throwing out something stupid
Yea that could pose a problem ... That of lower dollar "in the day" higher end guns being used.
Another sub rule I'll expect .. Or simply NAME OFF what guns can be used !!! That would be a whole lot easier.

Reactions: Centercut
Instead of a new shooting class might it be better to put shooters into classes of similar ability. As a kid I shot .22 3 pos'n sporting rifle. They had 4 classes for shooters: marksman, sharp shooter, expert and master. Each class had a scoring range so you shot with/against people of similar ability. New shooters were classed as temporary expert until they had posted 3 scores and were given a classification per their ability. At the end of the year the scores were reviewed and you got bumped up as you got better. The cons of this is the clerical portion.

Instead of a new shooting class might it be better to put shooters into classes of similar ability. As a kid I shot .22 3 pos'n sporting rifle. They had 4 classes for shooters: marksman, sharp shooter, expert and master. Each class had a scoring range so you shot with/against people of similar ability. New shooters were classed as temporary expert until they had posted 3 scores and were given a classification per their ability. At the end of the year the scores were reviewed and you got bumped up as you got better. The cons of this is the clerical portion.
AKA: sandbagging ... no one would do such a thing ... Lol

Man I love this idea. I think like many have said have a printed copy of the rule with sub rules would be needed. But more rules can cause more problems. It’s definitely going to take work from all involved. My other question is this. Would the class be shot separately like pistol on a different day during a GP event? Or would it be treated like hunter and WFTF both shot during the same time? I imagine it would be shot together. The other thing that may have been covered previously that I did not see is this. Would adding a 580cc bottle to a Gauntlet G1 .25 be considered acceptable or does the rifle must be completely and utterly bone stock? What about adding hammer weight and or different valve maybe enlarging ports. These are all just questions, but I think this would definitely open the door to so many more people that want to come out and shoot but don’t feel like they can. I think it would be a blast to come out and shoot my Gauntlet G1 in .25 just to see how I and it get along on the corse. Would I do it on a regular basis? Probably not, my Red wolf .22 Hp has all my #1 spot.

I like this idea and would like to throw out a twist. What if you could get handicap points for being under the price cap? So for every $50 under the $500 scope limit, you get a point. Every $100 under the $800 rifle limit, you get a point. So if you have a $300 scope and a $700 gun, you would get 5 handicap points. You could use your points to turn a miss into a hit (the "Turn your frown upside down" rule). Or if you want to keep it sporting, the points could be used as mulligans (the "Don't sell yourself short, Judge. You're a tremendous slouch" rule).
Or just use the handicap points as tie breakers (the "Just like kissing your sister" rule).
The point is to give an incentive to not maxxing out your rig.

And I'm not too worried about "pro" shooters showing up with an Avenger and a Discovery scope and setting the world on fire. A, they know they couldn't compete with me in my race to the bottom. And B, most of those guys are "influencers" for a particular brand and might get thrown out of the clubhouse if they started competing using budget friendly equipment. The people you have to worry about are guys like Derrick Wall, who could win a match with a sling shot and a blind fold. The idea isn't to try to keep the good shooters out of the Markman Division. The idea is to see how much better they are than you using the same crappy equipment that you've been using as an excuse for years. Or at least that's how I read it.

My biggest question is, can we make this retroactive? I've been shooting Marksman Division from the get go.