• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Events Xtreme Field Target January 22nd @ Phoenix Rod & Gun Club

Just got off the phone with Ben, discussing the Jan XFT match and wanting to get the details put into an announcement while they're fresh in my mind....

First off, sign up on Practiscore website as usual: https://practiscore.com/2022-01-22-xtreme-field-target-challenge-at-phoenix-rod-and-gun-club/register 

Registration opens up on January 08, 2022 @ 2:00 PM

Thanks to PR&G Club for sharing your facilities with us!!!

PHX rod and gun.1640582775.jpg

In case you missed it in Hard Air Magazine....

Part 1:https://hardairmagazine.com/news/xtreme-field-target-its-new-its-great-heres-your-chance-to-join-in/

Part 2: https://hardairmagazine.com/news/xft-extreme-field-target-is-here/

For the Jan match, everything the same as the past, 3 classes: pellet, slug, sub-sonic rimfire. Same rules as well (bucket/stool and sticks, mass-produced/commercially available projectiles, 25x scope power limit, 100fpe limit, max of .30). 

Ben has a couple of new ideas that he's wanting to test out at the January match, the first of which is what he's calling the "Killer Troyer Lane." The backstory is that there has been a lot of debate (CENTERCUT) about the offhand lane that we've had every month since the beginning. Historically, forced position lanes have just been part of field target, so that was carried over into XFT. As those of us that shoot FT are aware, the winner of regular and XFT matches often comes down to who does the best on the forced position lanes, essentially weighting those lanes, heavily. I'm not the ultimate determination of "right" or "wrong" but some (CENTERCUT) are saying that it gives those who don't have a bad shoulder, or bad hip, or etc, an advantage. So, in January, as a test, all 40 shots will be taken from bucket and sticks. Now, before the offhand detractors (CENTERCUT) get too excited, back to the concept of the "Killer Troyer Lane." Instead of the offhand lane, one lane will be XTREMELY difficult this month. The Killer Troyer lane will have a 3/8inch kz @ 26 yards and a 5/8in kz @ 46 yards. When I figured out the Extreme Troyer Factor chart I only did them in 1/2 inch increments, so a 1/2 @ 26 is a 52 and 1/2 @ 46 is a 92. The 5/8inch kz @ 46 is probably something like an Extreme Troyer Factor of 85. It will be the hardest target we've had in a match to date, and the 3/8in kz @ 26 won't be an easy two X's either. Please address all complaints and appreciation of the Killer Troyer lane to Centercut. 

At the post-match meeting a vote will take place about keeping the Killer Troyer Lane or going back to an offhand lane or some of both, etc. Ben will also gather votes through email for shooters that have attended but perhaps can't make it in Jan. 

The other idea, again based on comments made by some since the beginning, is to simply make the course easier. Nearly all the past monthly matches have been won with a score in the 60-70% knockdown range (a score of roughly 25-30 out of a possible 40) with the majority of the pack averaging out with scores around the 40-50% knockdown rate. Ben is planning on opening up the kill zones sizes for January, with the goal of having the high score be more like high 80s or even 90% knockdown range (about 35/40). The Killer Troyer lane will make cleaning the course for a perfect score quite difficult, but perhaps not impossible. BUT the take home is that all of us should be knocking down quite a few more targets in January than we've become accustomed to. 

Ben also wanted me to mention that a past medal winner told Ben he'll be returning the medal, as he was he only shooter in that class that day and felt like he should have beat someone to deserve a medal. Sounded like Ben liked that idea b/c he asked me to include in this announcement that medals will be awarded for top scores if you have a higher score than someone else in the class. Example: 2 people in a class, only the high score gets a medal cuz the second person was lowest score in that class. Or, one guy in a class = no medal cuz you didn't have a higher score than anybody else. Or, 10 people in a class = top three scores get a medal. 

There is also the potential for the prizes for winners of future matches to increase in value over what they've been in the past (details not completely hammered out there so don't have particulars for the Jan match yet). 

Ben and I just might shoot some small caliber stuff at this Jan match, if the wind doesn't look to be too bad at the beginning of the day. I've been getting great results with .20 JSB Heavies at long range during plinking sessions, and sounds like Ben has been impressed with how the 16.2grain .177s are doing on his dairy farm euro dove pesting sessions. If we end up shooting them, it'll be interesting to see if the .177 and 20 can hang with the more common long range choices.

So far I've been told we've got a handful coming in from San Diego. It'll be Barb and Tony's first match of this winter, be good to see them again. Also might have Steve Q and Larry F coming up from the Sierra Vista, AZ area. Hope they can make it as well. I assume we'll have the rest of the AZ regulars.

And there's a permanent open invitation to anybody who wants to come check it out for the first time. Come make some new friends with which to share your airgun hobby. Contact Ben (match director) @ [email protected] or phone 480-694-6973 or PM me here on AGN with any questions. 

Ahhh, you needed a villain I see, so I’m your Huckleberry…. It’ll be fun trying to shoot a .30 pellet through a .375 hole at 26 yards. That gives me a comfortable 4/100 of an inch clearance. Which gives me an Extreme Troyer of about 150 I would guess (maybe higher?) and about the same for the 5/8” KZ at 46 yards. Now THATS Killer!!! Easy day…. I’ll shoot the .30 and not take the easy way out by shooting .177 Beasts ;)

Oh, you think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!

Hmmm, so the Troyer is the same with .177 and .30? I don’t know much about Troyer but isn’t it based on .177 size ammo? It’s kinda hard to believe that a clearance of 0.1” is the same difficulty as 0.0375”, or almost triple the clearance…. But what do I know? Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand. 

I am looking forward to this one! As long as life doesn't get in the way. I have started sighting in for the 75 yard + distances. I hadn't used my airguns at the longer yardages. Always figured I had plenty of small bores for that. But these shoots sound like a good time. At the last FT shoot at Rio I got paired up with Ben, he told me a little about the XFT and made me think these shoots would be a hoot. My question is what size kill zone should I expect to see past 75 yards? I plan to shoot my 22 Taipan standard the top x of my scope is 15. I wonder if I will see the KZ well? I have higher mag scopes sitting on a shelf but don't care to change to one of them. 

Hmmm, so the Troyer is the same with .177 and .30? I don’t know much about Troyer but isn’t it based on .177 size ammo? It’s kinda hard to believe that a clearance of 0.1” is the same difficulty as 0.0375”, or almost triple the clearance…. But what do I know? Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

OT a little bit but...

I always had this weird fantasy of using .14 caliber slugs in FT from way back about 15 years ago. There's even a barrel maker that used to make barrels in that caliber, still might be?!

O boy, just imagine a .14 cal 10gr slug moving along at 950 fps with a .07BC, grin.

I was lazy last night and didn't want to do the math so just referenced the chart.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/extreme-troyer-factor/

Brad's Troyer factor for regular field target is just distance/kz size with a difficulty factor of 1.125 applied to targets 46-55 yards. No accounting for caliber or clearance. 

I used his same formulas with slight deviations since we're shooting out to 100 yards. 

Extreme Troyer factor formulas...

20-50 yards = distance/kz

51-75 yards = distance/kill zone size (1+0.125)

76-100 yards = distance/kill zone size (1+0.25)

Both of the distances in question for the Killer Troyer Lane are less than the difficulty factors so n/a in these examples. This is how Bobby arrived at the Troyer factors he provided above. 

3/8 @ 26 yards would be 26/0.375= 69.3

5/8 @ 46 yards would be 46/0.625= 73.6

TOUGH. 

(@centercut, your .30 might hit that 3/8kz and swage itself right through the hole, lol just ribbing ya cuz we know you can take it)

Hmmmm, she looks comfortable, doesn't she?

For those big bore guys, To use some of the golfing vernacular, you don't take a driver to the putting range do you? Sure, you could use it if you had to, but why? There are tradeoffs to every choice!

See y'all at the Jan shoot! I think I'm gonna try my luck at leaving some rimfire brass on the course this time!

Come one, come all for a great day out in the outdoors with good people!

Thx

Dan