• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results Xtreme Field Target at Phoenix Rod and Gun, report from Sept 2022 night match

Here are the top 3 pellet scores!!!
L to R: Wes C, Van T. Mike S.

Screenshot_20220925-124631.png

I believe Mike's 45/48 is a new Phoenix Rod and Gun Club XFT record @ 93.75%. CONGRATS!!! I skimmed through some past match reports and the next highest I came across was Ben's June 2022 night match score of 29/32 (90.6%) and Steve M shot a 37/40 (92.5%) with a rimfire in January 2022. If somebody has a higher knockdown % please let us know as it's kinda cool to keep track of that.

And the scores and equipment.....
(I always say it, and it's always true: live and die by the forced position shots).

scorecard.jpg

48 shot match so Ben used all the lanes he carved out of the desert for this match. He told me the summer rains had washed out the main road/path connecting all the shooting pads (in multiple places) and he had to spend some time shoveling dirt and raking gravel to make it a nice (relatively) smooth path again. Sent me photos of blisters on his hands from the rake and shovel, dang guy puts a ton of work into seeing that this is enjoyable for all.

Sounds like it was a bit humid for us Arizonons, lol 30% isn't much, but we prefer single digits. They're telling me there were times they wanted a breeze to help with the humidity but I also got a report of needing hold an entire mil off while one shooter was on Lane 3 (75 and 100 yard targets there). On that note, here are the distances, and they're quite literally set in stone because the mounting points for the targets are mostly drilled into bedrock! Shooting mats could be slightly moved for slight changes in distance, but lights and shooting pads complicates all of that.

Yellow highlighted are the targets past 70 yards, which is one of the columns in the data above.
Pink highlighted is offhand lane.
distances.jpg

TROYER
There's been some discussion about how to better account for the wind in the Troyer (difficulty) calculations.
Original Xtreme Troyer table here: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/extreme-troyer-factor.868700/
Some more recent conversations here: https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...ec-2021-through-sep-2022.1273383/post-1318343

In that second link I suggested the following as a way to account for the wind:

"The wind really is the great confounder, both on the shooting, and the analyzing sides.

The issue is that's it's so subjective, just like Art has noted in his data.

Here's where I'm at with it right now.....for AZ, the fall matches have kinda become the start of each new XFT "season." So I think starting with the Oct night match I'll start using difficulty factors for wind? But instead of just subjectively saying "windy" or not we can do a graded system? I mentioned something similar in Ben's night match announcement but I thinking we can use NWS reporting of wind speeds to figure out the highest wind speed measured during a match, recorded as close as we can to where the match happens.

So maybe multiply the course average T by:
1 if highest wind speed 5mph or less
1.5 if highest wind speed 6-10mph
2 if highest wind speed 11-15mph
2.5 if highest wind speed 16-20mph
3 if highest wind speed 21+"

I've since pondered on this and I think it needs to come down in scale. For example, with what I originally proposed, we'd double the overall course Troyer for a wind of 11-15mph. That just seems too much, b/c 11-15mph will make a course harder, but I'm not sure it makes it TWICE as hard.

So, going forward, I propose this scale instead:
Multiply the overall Troyer factor for a course by the following:
1 if 5mph or less
1.25 for wind speeds 6-10mph
1.5 for wind speeds 11-15mph
1.75 for wind speeds 16-20
2 for wind speeds 21mph or greater

"wind speed" defined as the highest wind recorded by NWS during the match using their location pinpoint feature

Using last night's match as an example.....
The lowest Troyer was 24 and was the near target on lane 6 (1.25" kill zone @ 30 yards)
The highest Troyer was a 41.7 and was the far targets on lane 3 and lane 10 (both 3" kill zones @ 100 yards)
Average Troyer for the course was a 33.3, with no wind adjustment, which is how I've reported it for matches up to this point. To arrive at 33.3 for last night I DID multiply the 2 offhand targets Troyers by the 1.75 difficulty factor applied to forced standing shots.

Went to NWS website to pinpoint location.....
map.jpg

Then clicked on the three day history to get this data table.......
header.jpg

wind speed.jpg

I'm arriving at a max wind speed of 12, taken at 7:05pm (circled in red).

That would make the non-wind adjusted average Troyer of 33.3 be multiplied by 1.5 (wind adjustment factor) for a Troyer of 49.95.

That will represent an entirely new scale/reference point from previous matches but I'll do the 2022/2023 PHX winter season reports in that manner if shooters would like to tentatively adopt that method of calculating a course difficulty level. And if they're not, I'm open to suggestions.

Congrats again to Mike S for the course record.
Thanks to Phoenix Rod and Gun Club for having us.
Thanks to Ben for MD duties, and to all who helped set-up and tear-down.

Wow! Great shooting Mike. Is that .22 RAW new?
Good match report as always Cole. I think Peykan had the old record when the course was 40 shots with a 35?
Looking forward to Weds after this Weds for the pre-EBR night match.
I shot it 2 other times and think I may have it dialed in. I really like the 22round mags I had made for it.
Think I shot a 37/40 with the.22 LR but not with pellets

• Love
Reactions: Centercut
Cole, for the wind speed factor for ET, might it not be better to take the average wind speed for that shooting time period vice the highest? Many times a shooter will pause for a minute during a particularly strong gust, and not shoot until it lessens a bit. Just a thought.
I had that same thought as I looked through all the wind speeds during that 4hr window. I was even wondering about maybe taking the median?
ie it was between 5 and 12mph, so the median would be 8.5.....I dunno, it's just a really hard thing to account for. So much variability.

My thought with the max was that if somebodies timer was running during that highest wind point, the difficulty factor should reflect the worst wind any one shooter had to pull the trigger in. But yes, it wasn't likely gusting to 12mph for that shooters entire 4 minutes. (Memory stinks here....it's 4 minutes right?)

I had that same thought as I looked through all the wind speeds during that 4hr window. I was even wondering about maybe taking the median?
ie it was between 5 and 12mph, so the median would be 8.5.....I dunno, it's just a really hard thing to account for. So much variability.

My thought with the max was that if somebodies timer was running during that highest wind point, the difficulty factor should reflect the worst wind any one shooter had to pull the trigger in. But yes, it wasn't likely gusting to 12mph for that shooters entire 4 minutes. (Memory stinks here....it's 4 minutes right?)
Agree. I think a weighted average might be best.. so from the time the range goes hot until the last lane is complete. Another factor is cover. Take AZ and TX. The AZ course is wide open. The TX course all but two lanes are in the woods between trees which partially block the wind. But looking at the wind report doesn’t take that into consideration. Not to make it too complicated but a terrain factor?

I think it’s 3 minutes? Well maybe 1 minute plus 30 seconds per shot. But I think for the night shoot Ben may have added an extra minute?

Last edited: