• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results XFT Phoenix, October 2022 Night Match Results

Chuck Meisenheimer took this awesome photo during the match.....(and yes, the same as Meisenheimer Custom Leather)
chucks photos.jpg

Boy O Boy did we have a blast!!!

We had a total of 33 shooters, hailing from all over the country.

Of those 33, 26 finished the course. Some had an early slot at EBR the next morning and wanted to get some shut-eye. And a couple of the non-finishers were concerned about lightning from the little storm cell that kicked up right at the end of the match. And it WAS zinging some lightning bolts around that time.

Here are the results.
scorecard.jpg

The tie for first and second was broken by longest streak. Tony had 13 in a row at one point, and Justin had 11. Congrats to both of them for awesome shooting!

Interesting to see that trend on the >70 yard target knockdown ratio. Can't win without knocking down a decent percentage of the long ones.

Also, those shooting sticks sure seem to have increased the knockdowns on the standing shots. Makes those "offhands" less critical in determining the winners circle. Pros and cons there.

Also interesting to note that the top 3 scores were with the 34 grain .25s. The .22 Monster RD's have an established track record of often being the winning pellet here at XFT @ PRGC....Do the results from 10/05 portend a changing of the guard? (lol, I can envision all the cranial gears turning out there right now, contemplating what it would take to make the switch...$$$)

Honorable mentions for the non-completed scorecards go to: Mike S. with a 34/44, Wayne M. with a 30/40, and Barb P. with a 34/44. Not to take away from their great shooting, but all of them were 10 down, meaning they could have been in contention for 2nd place had they hit the rest of their shots, but first place would have not changed (since the two highest scorers were only down 9).

As I worked through the score cards I also noticed that Justin W was 24/24 on the "near" targets. The only shooter to do so. Impressive.

(I found 4 different scorecards where the total "match score" in the bottom right was not correct. Some of those cards had numbers lower than what their owners had actually shot! Luckily the errors didn't change the winners, but just a friendly reminder to double check your math when you're figuring up your total score).

As Ben promised, he made this match easier than our typical matches. All the 3 inch kill zones stayed as 3 inchers since that's as big as they can go (no reducer). But everything else was bumped up 1/4 of an inch over the previous match. In the September match we had a non wind-adjusted Xtreme Troyer factor of 33.3 and a record high score of 41/48 was shot that month.

For this most recent October night match, the non wind-adjusted Xtreme Troyer factor was a 30.8. The "easiest" target was a 1.5inch kill zone @ 30 yards for a Troyer of 20 and the "hardest" were the 2, 3 inch kill zones @ 100 yards, on lanes 3 and 10. Those 3" @100 yard targets have a Troyer of 41.7.

Nobody was better than 50% on the 4, 100 yard shots.

We were also allowed to shoot the offhand shots with standing bipods, a first for Xtreme FT at PRGC. I think Ben's thoughts were that it would be good practice for the next day's Extreme Field Target @ EBR, as bipods are allowed for the forced standing shots there.

Some photos of the target aftermath.....
afermath.jpg

Interesting to see that the wind was carrying the majority of the pellets on this target off to the left, which suggests there was more right to left out there than we could "feel" at the rubber mats we shoot from.
aftermath1.jpg

I think this frog was the long target on lane 11, and if I remember right, that target sits a bit higher up the slope than the shooter's mats. Lots of high hits (hint hint).
bear.jpg

The far bear on lane 12. Wind was switching back and forth on this one, it appears.

Some shots from the sight-in line and pre-match meeting
equipment.jpg

sight in.jpg

equipment2.jpg

equipment1.jpg

pre match.jpg

prematch.jpg

We really can't thank all of the competitors enough for squeezing this event into your already busy EBR week. We appreciate your attendance and hope you enjoyed your time shooting Xtreme Field Target in the dark!

It's challenging and addicting and frustrating and fun, all at the same time. We'd love to have any of you back to shoot with us at future matches, please consider it a standing invitation. Come back for a day-time match and try your hand with slugs!

And a huge thank you to Ben and Wayne and Mike S and anybody else who was part of the behind-the-scenes work that it takes to put on these matches.

Great report as always Cole - I agree it was a blast and the weather couldn’t have been any better…well perhaps a little better if the thunderhead hadn‘t rolled in at the very end! It was very nice meeting the folks from out of state - one of the out of state shooters on my squad (Dave C from Oklahoma) was someone who I often correspond with and even bought some pellets from here on AGN so that was an extra bonus to meet him in person. I had another Dave on my squad from Nevada (Dave T) who was also a great and fun guy to shoot with. I do want to confess feeling guilty using the sticks at the stand-up lane but obviously I did not feel guilty enough to not use them! Thanks to Ben, Mike, Wayne, Van, and Cole for making the event happen.

Last edited:
I want to make sure a new volunteer, Jesse A., him and his wife painted the targets we SO appreciate them very much. Thank you to them and to all that showed up. The new Covid target paint scheme IMO was off the charts and I wanted it for myself. I hope everyone enjoyed it along with the 12ftlb demonstration @ 57 yds. , of our target's ability to be used in regular or extreme field targets.

What a great match! Thank you Ben for putting on a fantastic competition. It really helped getting set up for EBR and we all love any extra trigger time we can get. Thank you Scott and Oklahoma Dave for all the info on field target! You guys are great squads mates. I know there are a lot of other people that did a lot for the competition that I don’t know by name but thank you all! There is a group of us airgun shooters planning on attending the NRL22X match in Mesa on Sunday January 29th to shoot our slug guns. Ben, any chance you might set up a match on the 27/28 so we could get together and do it again? Day/night slugs/pellets whatever it is, I just thought all of you put on a great match and would love to experience it again. Not to mention we would love to have any airgun shooters come out and join us on Sunday for the NRL22X match!

What a great match! Thank you Ben for putting on a fantastic competition. It really helped getting set up for EBR and we all love any extra trigger time we can get. Thank you Scott and Oklahoma Dave for all the info on field target! You guys are great squads mates. I know there are a lot of other people that did a lot for the competition that I don’t know by name but thank you all! There is a group of us airgun shooters planning on attending the NRL22X match in Mesa on Sunday January 29th to shoot our slug guns. Ben, any chance you might set up a match on the 27/28 so we could get together and do it again? Day/night slugs/pellets whatever it is, I just thought all of you put on a great match and would love to experience it again. Not to mention we would love to have any airgun shooters come out and join us on Sunday for the NRL22X match!
Al, the fourth Saturday's of each month are the usual day for winter matches....day-time matches, in which slugs are in the mix of fair game projectiles. So it looks like your NRL match in Jan falls on that same weekend. Keep an eye out for match announcements as we get closer, but should work for you guys to shoot an XFT match that weekend too.

Reactions: Centercut
Al, the fourth Saturday's of each month are the usual day for winter matches....day-time matches, in which slugs are in the mix of fair game projectiles. So it looks like your NRL match in Jan falls on that same weekend. Keep an eye out for match announcements as we get closer, but should work for you guys to shoot an XFT match that weekend too.
That’s perfect, I’ll pass it on to everyone. We’re in!