• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Results XFT Phoenix 01/29/23 Match Results

We were treated to some absolutely perfect weather conditions this evening, and the desert in winter did not disappoint! The most color I've seen to any foliage for a few months!
panorama.jpg

Turnout this month was 19 shooters: 1 slug, 2 rimfire, and 16 pellet.

Here's the slug, high rimfire, and 1st, 2nd, 3rd place pellet shooters, in that order, left to right.
WINNERS.jpg

Boxscore
Normally the 100 yard shots on lane 3 and lane 10 are the highest Troyer Factor at a 41.7 (3" kill zone), but this month the two highest T factor targets were both on Lane 7. The "near" was a 1.5" @ 56 yards for a T of 42. And the "far" was a 2.5" @ 89 yards, T of 44.5. For that reason, I included the overall hit rate for Lane 7 this time.

The overall/average Troyer score for the course this evening was a 35.85. They're creeping back up, 😬 ha ha

scoreboard.jpg

• Note Steve M's nearly perfect rimfire score of 47/48. He only missed 1 offhand shot. Not sure "impressive" is enough to describe that performance.
  • Van went 4/4 on the 100 yard shots, not something we see often from anybody.
  • Tony had the best hit ratio on the 70+ yard targets, from a pellet shooter. He was shooting a new Delta Wolf, picked up yesterday if I got the story straight. I think once he gets to know that gun a bit better we'll be in trouble.
  • Scott H medaled tonight! He recently upgraded to a Red Wolf HP, just in the last week actually. He's another one that we'll need to keep our eye on.
  • I think David H was shooting a .177, since he listed the pellet weight as 16.2. Mighty fine shooting from the little .177, really stretching out the distance for that caliber.
  • Poor 9 year old Colben got off a revolution on his scope after his first lane and went 0/16 on his next 4 lanes. I should have realized sooner that he's a better shooter, shooting a more accurate gun than that. Impressively, he recovered to shoot 18/28 on his final 7 lanes, after we discovered the problem. Getting off a revolution has either gotten us all at least once, or will. He told me afterwards that he thinks he likes the 45FPE Vet Long better than the 29fpe Vet Short, for long range ft anyway, "as long as the turret doesn't get off" he quickly added. lol.
  • And then there's Barb with the high pellet score. She's a shooter alright! Tough to beat.

Weather Conditions
Summary seems to be that the worst recorded wind at the nearest station was maybe 3mph. I think we might have seen more like a max of 5-7mph at the match site as the wind got me on a few, and I could tell from left and right pellet strikes on the faceplates of the far targets that it was getting other shooters too. Temps are a bit off from the weather station compared to where we shot, as I can testify that once the sun set behind that mtn to our wast, temps plummeted. I was shivering on my last lane, costing me some points.
conditions1.jpg

conditions2.jpg

I hope all the shooters had as good of a time as Colben and I did. Well worth the drive. Oh, we had some San Diego shooters, as well as a Las Vegas shooter. I had a chance to talk to a couple of the new faces and they fit in just fine. All it takes to make friends and get along with this bunch is a love for airguns and a good challenge. We'd like to see you new shooters at future matches, the more the merrier, truly.

As always, MUCH thanks to Ben and his set-up/tear-down crew. Lots of work on their part. Please know that we appreciate you. Also, thanks to Phoenix Rod and Gun Club for hosting us.

Finally, Ben wanted me to get the discussion rolling on the time clock....did you shooters feel like 3 minutes per lane was enough? Also, any further input on the proposed idea of optionally using a bipod for the offhand shots, but knocked down targets only count for 1/2 a point?

Last edited:
Geez Cole, staying up to all hours writing a match report, you really need to get more sleep! Very appreciative of all your work in producing these. It was really a nice day for the match, great weather, and the desert was truly picturesque from all the annuals coming up from our recent rains! Appreciate all the prep work by Ben, Mike S., and Wayne M in getting the targets painted and the course set up.

As far as the 3 minute timer, I had an inner “ruh roh” when Ben announced it at the shooters meeting, as it used to be 4 minutes. But it turned out to be an unwarranted worry for me - I single shot loaded and still had adequate time to get all the shots off, usually had about a minute to spare on most lanes I think.

And finally as for the bipod on the forced range, my preference would be to have one target offhand no bipod, and the other target being an extreme troyer allowing bucket and sticks. On the extreme troyer it might be fun to have an occasional target placed beyond 100 yards.

Thank you Ben for your hard work, Mike for those awesome targets, Cole for your well put together match reports, and everyone else that laboriously sets up and does the take down of all that steel and rope, all of which makes such a fun event as XFT possible!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to all the winning air gunners, great shooting!

Thank you Ben for your hard work, Mike for those awesome targets, Cole for your well put together match reports, and everyone else that laboriously sets up and does the take down of all that steel and rope, all of which makes such a fun event as XFT possible!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to all the winning air gunners, great shooting!
Ditto!

Reactions: Nofilters
What a great time! Carl & Terri were friends from Oklahoma who were visiting. Carl shot his first ever match that morning at Rio Solado, and Terri had shot EFT last year. They are new PCP owners and are excited about the sport…

GREAT job for the hard working individuals who make this happen……Thank You!

Tony P

Last edited:
Worked out some more stats with another pass over the score cards...

(Sorry David T, your score card must be at my other computer cuz it's not in this stack).

near and far.jpg

I was wondering which I mostly missed and decided to tally up every one else's as well.

Found two cards that weren't totaled correctly the evening of the match, didn't change the standings, but sure would hurt to turn in a card with an inaccurate score and have it cost ya the match......