• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

XFT at PRGC on 03/25/2023 Match Report

Sounds like the shooters had a great time yesterday. 16 came out, 5 slug and 11 pellet. No rimfire guys this month. Which makes it a good time to mention that XFT @ PRGC is the only place in the country where pellet, slug, and rimfire guys are all shooting field target. This month we had a couple shooters from California, two from Oklahoma, and at least one from Texas. All in all, a good showing of pretty talented competitors.

A small history lesson here at the beginning of the match report. (And this can all be corroborated with a thorough search here on AGN, as it was discussed at length in various posts)....
Prior to Ben Spencer, the only high power/long range field target option was the once a year American Field Target division at Extreme Benchrest. Ben thought there was much greater interest than was being served by those once-a-year matches and begged AOA to borrow their American Field Targets for a couple years before they finally acquiesced. Ben procured a location at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club and single-handedly built a course. The first event at PRGC was called "The American Field Target Southwest Challenge" holding true to the name used during EBR for the prior 5+ years. AOA sponsored that first event at PRGC and even produced a video:
After that, Ben continued to put on monthly matches and growth exploded from there. He and Mike S saw where many improvements could be made and designed a new large/heavy duty field target. They initially produced enough for us to have matches and so that AOA's targets could be returned to their owner. Now Ben and Mike sell their heavy duty targets under the S&S Targets name. As I wrote those first couple match reports we tried out a few different names, eventually settling on a the new name of Extreme Field Target, which I often type as Xtreme Field Target, and even XFT for short. It's pretty cool to see how one man's simple vision (in this case creating and hosting frequently occurring high power/long range field target matches) can have such a profound effect.

Now, that we set the record straight, back to this month's report.....
Here are top three slug shooters. (left to right: Mike B, Peykan B and Derrick W) and yes, they're all Team Centercut
slug winners.jpg

Top three shooters from pellet class (left to right: Scott H, Mike S, Tony P)
pellet winners.jpg

Some photos from sight-in...
warmup.jpg
warmup1.jpg

Some photos from during the match...
barb offhand.jpg

martin.jpg
path.jpg
van.jpg

Team Centercut...
team centercut.jpg

The course was entirely new this month, all different distances and target placement than we're used to. Which is pretty dang cool! I love variety at a field target match, greatly enjoying a new course that I have never shot.

Wayne M. supplied the following data regarding the course...
targets and troyer calc.jpg

You'll notice my chicken scratch down the right side, that's Troyer calculations. Overall T for the match this month was a 36.26, and then went up slightly if I threw out the offhand shots. I circled the 3 targets with the highest T values and will give specific hit ratios for those in the scorecard later on in this report.

Here are a select few of the targets....
beaver.jpg
fish.jpg
rabbit on lane 5.png
pink skunk.jpg

grumpy bullfrog.jpg

And they dealt with some wind....

weather header.jpg

weather.jpg

The equipment list and results....
scorecard.jpg

There's always some cool stories behind the data here. Here are a few of them.
  • We had a couple more slug shooters this month. I was supposed to be one of them but had schedule conflicts. As for the slugs, the Panthera's showed up! Peykan told me he got his Panthera just this week. He shot the Gen 1 34gr Patriot slugs from the .22 version, with 700mm liner, at 1000fps.
  • Derrick and I discussed the slug guns we were prepping with back and forth for a few weeks prior to this match. The rig he used shows serious promise, holding MOA quite often. He told me the wind got him on a few yesterday though and he suspects that he had some flyers also bring his score down.
  • Scott H went 23 shots without a miss! Tony only had 5, so of course the tie for high score went to Scott. Scott's been creeping up the scoreboard for a while now, and made it to the top this month. I've been squadded with Scott for 2 of the last 3 matches I've attended and he's a fun guy to shoot with. He's just a calm, laidback guy and shooting with him always feels more like hanging out with a good friend than being in a competition. He's got a grandson that has been coming to the low power field target matches across town and it's always good to see some young folks enjoying field target.
  • Barb is normally higher up the scoreboard but she shot a different gun than she normally does.
  • Van is also typically at the other end of the scoreboard but seems to have had some equipment malfunctions.
  • Martin M was THE ONLY shooter to go 4/4 on the offhand land.
  • Offhand shots: Despite winning, the high pellet and the high slug shooters had bad days on the offhand lane. 3 of Peykan's 5 misses came from that darned offhand lane. Long-standing tradition in field target for forced position shots to be make-or-break, and Ben is keeping that alive in XFT.
Too many people to thank. Sounds like Ben had lots of help getting targets painted and the course being set up and torn down, etc. If you had a hand in that, THANK YOU! For no only your efforts this month, but for your efforts any time you pitch in and help. The matches couldn't happen without that behind-the-scenes work. You are appreciated, even if we don't tell you that often or enough.

peykan's medal.jpg

Last edited:
Was a great match! Wind was switchy and was hard to see. Good shooting with M2square. Wayne M , Scott H , Ben and I have been working on cleaning and preparing the targets for 2 weeks. They had been out in the weather for almost 2 years. We took them apart and tossed the parts in a bucket and cleaned and painted them. The targets are fitted so well parts can be mixed and matched and will work properly every time. Jesse and his wife did a super job putting their touches on the targets. We had a few bugs because of soft dirt but will be remedied by next match. Thanks to all the shooters! Thanks for the great write up Cole!

It was really a nice spring day for the match, temperatures were hammock worthy, but I agree with Sturkis‘s take on the winds - they were squirrelly at times. I thought all the targets looked great with their new paint jobs, kudos to Wayne M and Mike S for the base coat, and Jesse and his wife for the detail work. I think the endangered pink skunk might have been my favorite, but honorable mention has to go to the #2 target with the corn kernels lol! Thanks for the report Cole, appreciate that you captured in one place some of the history that shows the foresight and effort that went into getting this XFT match where it is at today.

Last edited:
Sounds like the shooters had a great time yesterday. 16 came out, 5 slug and 11 pellet. No rimfire guys this month. Which makes it a good time to mention that XFT @ PRGC is the only place in the country where pellet, slug, and rimfire guys are all shooting field target. This month we had a couple shooters from California, two from Oklahoma, and at least one from Texas. All in all, a good showing of pretty talented competitors.

A small history lesson here at the beginning of the match report. (And this can all be corroborated with a thorough search here on AGN, as it was discussed at length in various posts)....
Prior to Ben Spencer, the only high power/long range field target option was the once a year American Field Target division at Extreme Benchrest. Ben thought there was much greater interest than was being served by those once-a-year matches and begged AOA to borrow their American Field Targets for a couple years before they finally acquiesced. Ben procured a location at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club and single-handedly built a course. The first event at PRGC was called "The American Field Target Southwest Challenge" holding true to the name used during EBR for the prior 5+ years. AOA sponsored that first event at PRGC and even produced a video:
After that, Ben continued to put on unsponsored monthly matches and growth exploded from there. He and Mike S saw where many improvements could be made and designed a new large/heavy duty field target. They initially produced enough for us to have matches and so that AOA's targets could be returned to their owner. Now Ben and Mike sell their heavy duty targets under the S&S Targets name. As I wrote those first couple match reports we tried out a few different names, eventually settling on a the new name of Extreme Field Target, which I often type as Xtreme Field Target, and even XFT for short. It's pretty cool to see how one man's simple vision (in this case creating and hosting frequently occurring high power/long range field target matches) can have such a profound effect.

Here are top three slug shooters. (left to right: Mike B, Peykan B and Derrick W) and yes, they're all Team Centercut
View attachment 343472

View attachment 343473

View attachment 343474View attachment 343475

View attachment 343476
View attachment 343477View attachment 343478View attachment 343479

Team Centercut...
View attachment 343480

The course was entirely new this month, all different distances and target placement than we're used to. Which is pretty dang cool! I love variety at a field target match, greatly enjoying a new course that I have never shot.

View attachment 343481

You'll notice my chicken scratch down the right side, that's Troyer calculations. Overall T for the match this month was a 36.26, and then went up slightly if I threw out the offhand shots. I circled the 3 targets with the highest T values and will give specific hit ratios for those in the scorecard later on in this report.

View attachment 343488View attachment 343489View attachment 343490View attachment 343491
View attachment 343493

View attachment 343509
View attachment 343510

View attachment 343492

• We had a couple more slug shooters this month. I was supposed to be one of them but had schedule conflicts. As for the slugs, the Panthera's showed up! Peykan told me he got his Panthera just this week. He shot the Gen 1 34gr Patriot slugs from the .22 version, with 700mm liner, at 1000fps.
  • Derrick and I discussed the slug guns we were prepping with back and forth for a few weeks prior to this match. The rig he used shows serious promise, holding MOA quite often. He told me the wind got him on a few yesterday though and he suspects that he had some flyers also bring his score down.
  • Scott H went 23 shots without a miss! Tony only had 5, so of course the tie for high score went to Scott. Scott's been creeping up the scoreboard for a while now, and made it to the top this month. I've been squadded with Scott for 2 of the last 3 matches I've attended and he's a fun guy to shoot with. He's just a calm, laidback guy and shooting with him always feels more like hanging out with a good friend than being in a competition. He's got a grandson that has been coming to the low power field target matches across town and it's always good to see some young folks enjoying field target.
  • Barb is normally higher up the scoreboard but she shot a different gun than she normally does.
  • Van is also typically at the other end of the scoreboard but seems to have had some equipment malfunctions.
  • Offhand shots: Despite winning, the high pellet and the high slug shooters had bad days on the offhand lane. 3 of Peykan's 5 misses came from that darned offhand lane. Long-standing tradition in field target for forced position shots to be make-or-break, and Ben is keeping that alive in XFT.
Too many people to thank. Sounds like Ben had lots of help getting targets painted and the course being set up and torn down, etc. If you had a hand in that, THANK YOU! For no only your efforts this month, but for your efforts any time you pitch in and help. The matches couldn't happen without that behind-the-scenes work. You are appreciated, even if we don't tell you that often or enough.

Fun match, great setup! I would have liked some targets at 50, 75 and 100 yards for sight in prior to the match. It's kinda like playing golf without going to warm up at the practice range first...
The new course setup was very good, and harder than the "old" setup. That Polar Bear on lane 7 (far) was for both Derrick and I, the hardest target on the course. The paint detail on all the targets was awesome! Great job!!!
Derrick and I were both shooting the new .25 caliber 49.5 grain Altaros Smooth for the first time in competition, and they did well. Both of us had four or five "gimme's" that we missed, more than likely just getting used to the new guns and ammo, since neither of us had shot either the gun or ammo prior in competition... He was at 950 fps with his V3, and I was at 885 fps with my new Panthera 600mm.
Peykan was on fire with his new .22 Panthera 700mm shooting Patriot 34 grain slugs at 1000 fps. Great shooting Peykan! He only missed two out of the non-forced position lanes (42/44).
And as always, nice write up Cole!!!
FYI, Gabe V (slugs) and Tony P (pellets) tied for the best score on the three hardest targets, 5/6! Nice shooting!!!
Team Centercut had six shooters competing, plus Tony and Barb brought two friends from Oklahoma, so we accounted for eight of the sixteen total.

Last edited:

After that, Ben continued to put on monthly matches and growth exploded from there. He and Mike S saw where many improvements could be made and designed a new large/heavy duty field target. They initially produced enough for us to have matches and so that AOA's targets could be returned to their owner. Now Ben and Mike sell their heavy duty targets under the S&S Targets name. As I wrote those first couple match reports we tried out a few different names, eventually settling on a the new name of Extreme Field Target, which I often type as Xtreme Field Target, and even XFT for short. It's pretty cool to see how one man's simple vision (in this case creating and hosting frequently occurring high power/long range field target matches) can have such a profound effect.

View attachment 343472

View attachment 343473

View attachment 343474View attachment 343475

View attachment 343476
View attachment 343477View attachment 343478View attachment 343479

Team Centercut...
View attachment 343480

View attachment 343481

View attachment 343488View attachment 343489View attachment 343490View attachment 343491
View attachment 343493

View attachment 343509
View attachment 343510

View attachment 343492

View attachment 343513
great post

Sounds like a lot of fun. Wish I could’ve been there. I well remember how hard Ben worked and all the effort he put into setting up the course pretty much single-handedly. In the middle of the the 118 degree Arizona summer. He’s doing such a great job and it’s really grown. I also well remember the discussions of what to call it. As not to conflict or confusion with AOA’s American field target event held every year.

I'm no longer in the AZ area and miss shooting, the matches and the comradery. When I first started some 5ish yrs ago, having purchased a used FX WildCat and being more than clueless about guns in general let alone PCPs, the first person to help me get my boots in the stirrups was Ben. From that first day till now every encounter I have had with Ben has been nothing but him giving me all kinds of help and room to be ignorant of so much about airgunning. Not once did I feel small for asking his help. Because of him I was immediately smitten with the bug. Not having any airgun for a couple of years now I'm ready to get back behind the scope. Still debating on which gun to get as there are sooooooo many good choices in every category. One thing you can guarantee is I'll be picking Ben's brain as per gun specifics. Glad XFT is growing and sounds like loads of fun is being had. Ben, Kudos for what you have created and the excellence with which you have done it. Ciao for now.

I love shooting at this event. Ben has set up a great range and it’s getting better and better each month. The targets are top notch and the new paint job on the targets are amazing. This event always attracts a great group of shooters and It was nice to see Team Centercut had a great presence.

Here is my story…my .22 cal 700mm FX Panthers finally arrived earlier last week and I was excited to set it up and shoot Slugs for the first time. It took a long time for the rifle to arrive, so while I waited, I researched and watched all the videos I could on the Panthera to figure out the best “tune” and slug brands. Most everyone is shooting the heavier slugs..mostly the Patriot’s Gen2 34gr/218 around 1020FPS.

I had limited quantity and brand of slugs to try because of an ordering mishap. Due to my limited supply of .22 slugs for tweaking and testing., I wanted to make sure I had enough for this event. I had a few sample bags of the Gen2 Patriots laying around and about 400 of the Gen1 34gr/217’s. So I ended up shoot the 34gr/217’s for the event and they performed very well.

My Panthera is all stock, does not have the upgraded hammer (yet) so I can only get about 1000fps with 150bar on the reg. Shot count is about 25 good shots, but I refilled to 250bar after each lane. The wind was a challenge, but I managed to do well dealing with it. I was very impressed by the way the slugs “buck” wind. In the past, I have always used a .30 cal pellet at this range and at times had to hold outside of the kill zone, but with the slugs I only had to hold inside the kill zone for the wind corrections. I had 2 missed that were completely my fault.
My rifle is VERY long at 54 inches because of the 700mm barrel and the extra long moderator, resulting in many jokes at the range :) . Because the rifle is so long, I found that a good follow through is extremely important especially shooting from sticks and bucket. One of my misses was due to the my poor follow through. My second miss was due to the trigger. It is set very light and once you pull past the second stage the trigger does not return back, so it resulted in a miss because I was not fully ready to fire and thought I was at the first stage. I will have to research the trigger tuning videos.
The forced offhand stage was the worst lane for me..I only got 1 out of 4. I was very uncomfortable holding the rifle up and could not find the best position for my support hand in the 4 minutes allowed per stage. I have to practice more holding up this long rifle and find something to attach to the ARCA rail to help raise the rifle to a more comfortable and relaxed position.

Overall, with my limited ammo, and time getting ready for this match, the stars lined up for me and I managed to achieve the course record for slugs with 43/48. The Panthera was mainly designed for PRS style shooting, but proved to me it can be competitive at Extreme Field Target also!

Thanks again Ben and all the crew that volunteer to set up an amazing course.

FDB0604F-ED94-4791-87D7-0029C868E32B.jpeg