• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results XFT at PRGC on 02/25/2023 Match Results

first photo.jpg

As I was compiling and editing all the photos sent to me by various participants, this one grabbed me eye. This is a perfect visual of Xtreme Field Target at Phoenix Rod and Gun club. A beautiful and rugged location. Shooter assuming the position. Squadmates intently focused downrange to determine if the shooter read the wind correctly. It just feels right to start the match report with this one. I think it was taken by Peykan.

And this one was close second for XFT in a nutshell. Smiles all around. Also taken by Peykan....I think.
random12.jpg

Well we had 15 shooters yesterday: 1 slug, 2 rimfire, and 12 pellet. Didn't get a photo of slug or rimfire, but here are (left to right) 1st, 2nd, and 3d pellet class shooters.

winners pellet.jpg

The temps were great, just about what we all set our thermostats for, a range of 68-73. But the wind was brutal. A lot of sustained double digit winds in there. Lowest sustained measurement I see was 7mph. Worst (circled in red) was 13mph baseline with 20mph gusts. And these were measurements taken at Sky Harbor Airport, I'm guessing 5-10 miles to the north of the match site. I wouldn't be surprised if winds were more shifty and of greater speed at the match site.

conditions.jpg

conditions1.jpg

We knew going into it that the wind would likely make it an even greater challenge, so the target setters swapped reducers around, mostly increasing all the kill zones by 1/4th of an inch. The overall Extreme Troyer still worked out to a 32.46, not factoring in any wind. There were 6 targets with a T of 37 or greater and the two highest Ts were the 3" kzs on lane 3 and lane 10, both at 100 yards (T of 41.7). For reference, Jan's overall T was a 35.85 with high rimfire scoring a 47/48 and high pellet scoring a 41/48.

And the scores correlate to the wind, even with the generally slightly bigger kzs....(except for rimfire Steve, we're gonna have to get that guy shooting pellets again to keep us all from looking so bad).
scorecard.jpg

• 3 way tie for third was broken by longest streak, longstanding practice at these XFT matches.
  • Check out the overall knockdown percentage on the 100 yarders....LOW! And two shooters (Wes and Troy) accounted for 6 of the 16 knockdowns!!!
  • Collectively, we knocked down less than half of the targets past 70 yards. It was a challenging day. But a fun one.
  • Troy's first ever XFT match, shooting a borrowed gun, and wasn't too far down from the winning score.
  • Props to David H for having the cajones to shoot a .177 in today's winds. All at the same time I'm in awe and feel sorry for you for the frustration you probably felt.

Would like to express appreciation for all those that sent me photos (Ben, Van, Scott, Peykan) for the match report, as well as for the work done by the target crew (Ben, Mike S, Scott H, ?), to Phoenix Rod and Gun for sharing their facilities with us, and to Ben for creating this opportunity and continuing to put in the work to keep it happening.

Some news about future matches.....
Ben and Mike and Wayne have been working on a new modular target base. This will allow varying distances every month. Up to this point all the distances have been the same every month because of the complication of staking out the large targets sufficiently in the rocky soil, but the new modular base set-up will allow a completely new course every month. Ben mentioned that bringing laser rangefinders might be a good idea for future matches (they've always been allowed for Xtreme FT, just have not been necessary since distances have always been posted, but with distances being different in the future, keeping updated signage will be difficult). I'm REALLY excited to see the distances changing, it'll be much more like hunting/pesting and make the courses more interesting.

Finally...
As I was getting ready for the match it struck me how little is really necessary to be able to shoot an XFT match.
Here is everything I need, basically a rig, something to sit on, and something to rest the gun on. Simple.
equipment.jpg

And the above deployed, the caddie is just to keep the gun and pellets out of the dirt and to avoid needing to take it in and out of the case at every lane.
equipment1.jpg

XFT is a simple but challenging and FUN way to spend a couple hours on a Saturday. Come down and join in at a future match!!!

Troy shot 2 magazines out of Skeletor prone and 1 magazine from bucket and sticks the day before the competition to learn the rifle. He has never shot a PCP before. After about 3 lanes he was shooting like he had been doing it for years. It was a great time watching a new person do so well....

What else was so special is that Cole's dad, and youngest son were there also. This is truly a family sport/hobby.

Great write up and thanks to everybody who helped out.

Tony P.

Was a great day! Wind was tough and we knew it would be. Hope we get more new shooters to try this out. We spend a lot of time to make sure the match goes off without a hitch. Great shooting Steve! Also great shooting to Wes, Van and Cole! Gabe you too! Next month we will step it up so don’t expect the easy course like this one! Lol.
Cole great write up!

Thanks for the pics and report guys! We appreciate all you hard XFT event workers in all their talented ways.

It was a fun day for sure and interesting to shoot in the wind this time around.
Wind at me when I shot at 100Y seemed like 9-10 mph coming from 2 oclock. Darn I was hitting steel on the 100 yarder but it didn't fall and I couldn't tell where?? Just estimating here but I think I would have needed to do a 1 mil holdoff to the right of center of KZ. I aimed off .6 mil the first shot and then .4 mil the next, nope didn't work out, probably hit at 9 oclock on the faceplate?? I saw that my shooting partner Mike, who was also using a 22rf hit about 2" to the left of edge in the dirt on one shot and I know he was aiming into the wind some. 22rf's blow in the wind too just not as much. Take that for granted and it'll get yuh.

Just a consensus - how far into the wind yesterday were you pellet shooters aiming into the wind yesterday at 100Y to get a hit or if you missed and saw how far out it went, what do you estimate it was from center KZ? Using inches or mils is fine just so we can get an idea.

I picked up a barrel fitted to SURELY that I intend to use for production slugs in future XFT matches, as well as some stock work done to the bedding so it'll be interesting to see how that goes???

Gabe did pretty good yesterday with slugs so that is encouraging because we've had a tough time using slugs in XFT. Need ole Centercut to come out with his new Panthera to see how it does with high BC slugs.
Cali and Utah boys, please come on out so we can see how well your sluggers do for info's sake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Centercut
Here was Ben and my shooting partner on lane 12. Literally less than 5’ away.

View attachment 335720
We saw one too, think it was up around lane 1 or 2 if I recall correctly, he was looking for some lunch just in front of us maybe 10 yards - we must have spooked him down towards you! I just don’t see roadrunners like I used to in the desert, nice that he gave us a drive by, beep beep!

I picked up a barrel fitted to SURELY that I intend to use for production slugs in future XFT matches, as well as some stock work done to the bedding so it'll be interesting to see how that goes???

Gabe did pretty good yesterday with slugs so that is encouraging because we've had a tough time using slugs in XFT. Need ole Centercut to come out with his new Panthera to see how it does with high BC slugs.
Cali and Utah boys, please come on out so we can see how well your sluggers do for info's sake.
I’d like to see how these BT slugs compare to .22 RF when shot side by side. Should be interesting. I’m shooting at 885 fps or 86 FPE, with a confirmed G1 BC of 0.21. Interesting times ahead. March looks good for my schedule. 😎

Reactions: steve123
We’ll see. 10mph full value wind at 100 yards is 1.8 MOA in Strelok Pro. Sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say…. 😞
Wow, I just looked at my ballistic app dope for my 22rf and it called for 3.2 MOA for the same wind condition!
Or .9 mil holdoff for my 22rf vs .55 mil for those 49.5's.
That's crazy isn't it?!