• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wraith Mini my impressions

These are my personal impressions of the Wraith Mini. @Redtick12, was incredibly generous in letting me try his out for two weeks. I’m not a reviewer and the following is just my experience over a short period of time. Firstly, let me say that it is an amazing little device. The form factor is small and compact and intuitive to use. The IR illuminator seems well suited to the Mini and works well once properly aimed. If using the unit in a totally dark environment, the use of the rubber eyecup is important. Otherwise the pest see your illuminated eyeball and are spooked. I learned this the hard way. I used the rubber eyecup the second night out, but scanning through it for extend periods in the dark? Was fatiguing to my eye… Though it was neat to be able to shoot in total darkness. I did record some rat, mice and sparrow kills, but am not into making videos of my kills. So that novelty wore off quickly. Though I did capture a triple kill on sparrows. I feel that for a casual nighttime ratter, a scope with a red light would be very effective. Particularly in low light, dark corners, etc. I’ve killed hundreds of rats with just such a combo. I liked the Mini very much but prefer an optic for everyday use. Ideally for me I would set the Wraith Mini up on a purpose built rig and let it be. Also I would run it from a battery pack as it gobbles up the CR123 batteries. All in all I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to try it out. Thank you again, @Redtick12.

55AA2457-0CCE-48A2-B170-1151B2878633.jpeg

I just ordered a 2-16. Like L.Leon I have killed hundreds of rats with an air rifle (FWB 124) and a red headlight. But with this new technology available I decided to give it a try. Going to put it on a 30 cal Terminator and call in coons and hopefully a coyote. I don't know that I will use the video but the night vision and the capability to swap it to another rifle sold me.

Reactions: L.Leon
Luis thanks for your thoughtful information and a good scope mounted side view picture for sizing.
I had thought about upgrading from my ole sight mark XT scope mounted on a Prod night stalker.
But like you I don't film so don't need all those battery draining bells and whistles. It's so basic and runs on two simple AA batteries, good enough for me and them there pests. :coffee:

My thoughts are similar, the optic itself is great! it is very strenuous on the eye looking through the eye cusp. The novelty of video recording get sold (not a youtuber either even tho I have a few videos up). The rechargeable battery pack is worth every penny (and it doesn't weigh that much either, extremely light) as I haven't had to charge it yet (getting close though). The IR light definitely has to be aimed properly as well. I think if I were to ever come into more funds to spend on my night setup, I would opt for a clip on thermal but the price on those, well, we all know. I definitely prefer real glass but can't complain about the mini for its price.

298688010_771848364128109_4588887583047824985_n.jpg

Just got mine. It's a 2-16 Mini 4k. I'm having trouble downloading the new firmware. I keep getting the message No firmware file found on SD card. I have formatted the SD card and even changed to another new card. I have used the computer to load the firmware and used the scope as the drive to load and still get the message. Anyone have this issue?

Jim

Yesterday at this time I was looking for the shipping containers the Mini Wraith was sent in, so I could send it back. I started thinking about some of the scopes you can buy for what I spent on the Wraith. Needless to say after having it on my Terminator yesterday I was less than impressed. It seemed complicated and hard to manipulate controls. Wanting to try out the night vision before making up my mind I decided to put it on my Backpacker since it was quieter to shoot. The night vision is impressive. Even though I could not see my 50 yard targets with the naked eye the Wraith showed it clearly without any infrared light sources on 2 power. I could see well enough to shoot a rat if one was out there.

This morning I sighted the Backpacker in. It took more than two shots for me to get it set, more like 15-20. Most of this was my errors though. So soon I had my zere where wanted it. Shot a 10 shot group and target below is what I got.

I could not get the Terminator to shoot a group better than 3 inches yesterday. Found out later I had a shroud loose. Now I have two zero's set I will swap scopes and check re-zero accuracy.

HPTDMiniWraith 50yd.jpg

Last edited:
I've had my Wraith Mini for almost a year and I've only changed the batteries once. It's interesting you experience them gobbling up batteries, as I find I almost never swap batteries. That said, I tend to only turn the scope on when I'm actively pesting and more often than not, that's less than 20 minutes at a time, just a few times a week.

Decided to keep the Mini. It does not hold for me dead on zero when I switch from one rifle to another but it is within a couple inches at 50. What sold me is the increase light gathering abilities at daylight and dusk. I like some of the reticles especially the fire dot styles. I can see this increasing my capabilities and opportunities when it comes to hunting.

Much like delooper says I turn mine off when not using. It comes on pretty quick when needed. I'm thinking some rechargeable CR123 batteries for everyday use.

Haven't filmed anything yet and may not right now just want to test and see how the scope performs.

I've had my Wraith Mini for almost a year and I've only changed the batteries once. It's interesting you experience them gobbling up batteries, as I find I almost never swap batteries. That said, I tend to only turn the scope on when I'm actively pesting and more often than not, that's less than 20 minutes at a time, just a few times a week.
If you leave the scope on from an overwatch position for over two hours? It will gobble up those CR123s, more so if you’re recording. Its too impractical for me to wait for a target critter to show up, and then turn on the scope while the critter waits?🤓 In none of my pesting situations do I have time to “turn on” the scope. Hope that is a clearer explanation of what I meant. The whole turning the scope “on” and “off” was a turn off to me😀, pun intended.

If you leave the scope on from an overwatch position for over two hours? It will gobble up those CR123s, more so if you’re recording. Its too impractical for me to wait for a target critter to show up, and then turn on the scope while the critter waits?🤓 In none of my pesting situations do I have time to “turn on” the scope. Hope that is a clearer explanation of what I meant. The whole turning the scope “on” and “off” was a turn off to me😀, pun intended.
Alright, that makes sense. For me, if I see the pests, I walk into the house, grab the pellet gun, and turn the scope on while walking out the door. i.e. I don't sit around and wait for them. I just kill the bold ones that are out in the open.

I'll use mine like I do red dots. Turn it on when out in the field then turn it off when I get back. Usually that is only a few hours at most. Much of my shooting is done out a window in my shop. There I turn it off when there is no activity (red dot) then turn it on when needed. Of course leave it on when you have activity. I ordered some rechargeable CR123's to use and swap out when they need recharged.

As far as the batteries go, THE $100 dollar external battery sightmark offers, is worth every single penny! it weighs next to nothing, it easily weighs 100 times less than it looks. I am going to weigh it on my ammo scale later. I have yet to charge mine after 4 3-4 hours rat sessions. Still has juice.

It is a bit heavier than the 6-18 Trophy I had on this carbine. I really like the light gathering capabilities it has in color mode. It will add time you can go and stay in the woods. I have a fifty yard range and when it is too dark to see the range the mini shows it clearly in normal mode.

I would not say it will replace a scope for me but it does add to what you can do with a rifle. I have it mounted now on my main walking around rifle so I can get use to using it. The reticle selection is pretty good. I am using some type of hashed reticle with a circle and center dot. I have had a detached retina and see a distorted center reticle. The dot works much better for me.

Last but not least I purchased this from Amazon for $799. On the order page was a coupon banner that I clicked that gave me $159. off.

Mini Wraith 4k.jpg