• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

WRABF…..ERABSF…..USARB 25 meterTarget post 11/30/15

Haven't tried the other barrel yet- with the lighter pellets.
but from others- I'm told the same leading is taking place, even using 8 grain pellets?
ive talked to several people about the fouling. All say it's par for the course with the polygonal barrels -
and all clean their barrels after each card_--
guess it is what it is?
I was also told by competitor - everybody has a secret sauce - so to speak- not wanting to devulge their brews --
give others an edge? 😬
Makes me laugh though---
CK

Salticonim looking for a seal kit for my s500, i think something blew on it, it's poping really loud now when i fire it, even whein its turn to lowest setting,,, any ideals??

If there air is coming from between your breech and valve body it is likely a power wheel oring. If it's not that then it's the seal between the valve body and breech. Depending on when your s500 was made you will find an oring or nylon washer. Mine has the washer and is quite rugged.

To check the power wheel orings pull off the stock and next to the guage block you will find a hole. That is the tension/pin lock for the power wheel. If i rember correctly .5mm allen key is needed. It could be 1mm though. Anyways back the screw out and carefully turn the gun untill the spring and very small pin fall out. Then gently pull out wheel. As for the breech there may be two or four screws ahead of the trigger group and two more behind it. Remove those and you will have access to the valve/breech seal.

I hope this helps you out. John

I have a RAW BM500 177 poly shooting HV. The accuracy doesn't seem to vary noticeably with cleaning routine or frequency.

I normally pull a dry patch before each card - which seems to be what most BR shooters do. I also tried 20+ wet patches (WD40), which is about how many it took before they stopped showing lead. However even with this aggressive cleaning it shot the same as with single dry patches, and there seems to be no disadvantage to leaving some lead in the barrel.

As they say, YMMV ;)

Changed to my 1000 pound bullet trap. Found that pellets were going through the small rubber mulch filled box and going 100 yards - and blowing through the back stockade fence! Also tried separating the cardboard backer from the plywood in hopes of getting cleaner holes? 

And this is card three before scoring plug was inserted - seems like some of the pellets are tearing the holes slightly now that I'm using the cardboard backer?
and today was was extremely windy, gusts to 30 mph- not a great X day - 49 and a 750 though 

'and yes I shoot open - at 27.6 FPE 
28 yards 
Cheers 
CK

I don't have a poly barrel but had good luck with pushing patches soaked with Ballistol though and giving it time to soak. Then pull a Hopes .177 bore snake though to dry/remove lead. It's way bigger than .177 and takes some real effort to pull though so lots of contact and pressure.

I'm getting a new barrel (the chase for best accuracy) and will try using a different lube on pellets with that barrel. I'm told I shouldn't need to clean lead if I use soaked pellets versus me drying them like I do now.

For clean holes you can use the plastic realestate signs for a backer. I'm sure you come across them often enough. Another trick would be to spray glue them to the carboard you get from frozen pizza boxes cereal boxes and such. Something else to try if you are using official card stock taregets might be spacing them off the backer so the regular carboard doesn't interfere with the card. As always great shooting. John

I tried the balistol in the beginning - after giving up on the original recomenation of WD -40 
the biggest issue with the barrel is the Choke, IMO - very tight, and the JSBs are very soft- I think of it as squirting toothpaste out the barrel😬
what I've learned is that scrubbing,soaking patches and solvents only get at the surface leading. So this in turn causes a couple of WTF shots- per card -
but once I determined a way to completely remove the lead from this barrel and bring it back to virgin state, now when I do my cleaning after each card, the patches have only a hint of lead on them. I know that after 100s of shots,I will more than likely need to do the heavy duty lead removal again --
hell I even tried lubing pellets - awhile back- this barrel really didn't like that! Was like a shotgun.
i don't believe that in all my years - I've seen such a barrel - 
guess you could say, every Rose Has its Thorn - 
'the choke/poly is the reason for its accuracy but at the same time/ the reason for the extreme fouling 
CK 

I like the accuracy of this barrel,but really wasn't prepared for this cleaning routine - or the need to dig into my brain for an old world toxic substance to remove leading.
I've shot 6.5 swedes - 600 yard matches and swabbing the barrel after each shot was a standard --
but never - in all my years have I seen fouling like this,and after 25 to 30 shots no less-
but Hell it is what it is --
CK