• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

WRABF…..ERABSF…..USARB 25 meterTarget post 11/30/15

I can attest to the rigors of driving to matches. For the "local" venues it's anywhere from 1 to 4.5 hours driving one way to shoot both guns and the s$%t for four hours or so(sometimes six, depends on venue) then go home. It doesn't bother me much though because I enjoy both the shooting, and chance to hit the roads early enough to move at speeds you really shouldn't.

The scorer must us a .22 cal plug for those shots that are questionable; even for those not so questionable. There should be a standard scoring method for all shooters in the match and the match director has the final say. I always plug (gently, of course) the holes and if it is questionable one way or another, I will get a second opinion from another scorer. Of course, the shooters have the privilege of protesting to the MD. Buy hey, this is all in fun too. It would be another thing if we did this for money (ha ha).

I to agree, Paul - 
standards must be set or in place. In order to maintain integrity of the Sport.also there should be one standard plug approved by the sanctioning board. 
This venue ( forum) is in good clean fun :) but with any sanctioned event, lots of time effort and long drives can be involved.
and I for one take my shooting very seriously. 
I do believe this is why an attempt at electronic scoring was made, "the Orion" - but it isn't without controversy as well. Because any device can be programmed for an outcome -also a machine Cannot replace a couple of sets of human eyes --
But a display of all the cards after a match should also be in the mix i.e. An inspection - and then a protest period. I've heard of one big event that doesn't allow this -and also charges for the protest? And all scoring is done away from the public eye,and basically you have to take their word for the outcomes?i think the governing body needs to address some of these issues---
I do believe that eyes on target is the best means of scoring,and to have two people look at the cards is probably the best possible way to go at it. 
CK

Hey John- I was complaining a bit about long drives, until I read some of the posts here on the forum. 12 hour drives --- 
man - I was thinking 2 to 3 hour drives were a bit-ch ! 
But I guess it depends on how bad you really want to compete? 
And in my case there ain't nothin for miles! And literally no interest in them BB guns :)
CK '

--------

Strever,

I'm struggling with the theoretical precision translating into paper targets. I hope you don't mind me asking - is the outside diameter of a '10' (on a 25m target) 2mm regardless of line thickness? What is the thickness of the scoring ring lines?

Everything needs to have a tolerance, what is the tolerance on the scoring ring size and line thickness, considering we are talking of printed targets.

Thank you.

Yes the barrel does seem to like a specific pellet - 
shooting in the open class the pellet FPS is higher- to push the 16.2 grain pellets -I would need to use a reducing jet to accommodate the lighter pellets- or they would be shooting faster than the 950fps mark. 
I'm working on some ideas now --with cleaning 
but the -polygonal barrel does seem to lead up rather quickly -
I could also switch to the standard barrel that came with it ---and shoot the 13 grain pellets etc --
CK 

Steve
i don't know the answer to your question but it is interesting enuff i am in the process of finding out 
do you have an interest in benchrest shooting over there ?
i only found one forum with slow activity for benchrest shooting airguns in your part of the world
http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Dick

Hello Streve,

Yes, I've got into BR as (1) I'm becoming increasing averse to lying in mud to shoot HFT, and (2) I was looking for a more revealing method of accuracy.

So far I have found the best Airgun BR forum in the UK is that of the UKBR22.

In the final reckoning, if we use the approved paper targets and check the scoring with an approved plug, all the theoretical geometry is very interesting, but ultimately subordinate.

I have an Eagle Eye, that relies on 'judging the hole', to get an idea of my scores before being formally scored. I also have an approved plug.

Steve
it seems there is not a published/printed tolerance for printing the targets
either by WRABF or USARB
but the people in charge do go to the trouble to find the best printer that will work with us
and print the most accurate targets they can and so far we have been getting very accurate targets
it looks like you have most of the tools necessary to check your scores

Dick

"Coldking"I to agree, Paul - 
standards must be set or in place. In order to maintain integrity of the Sport.also there should be one standard plug approved by the sanctioning board. 
This venue ( forum) is in good clean fun :) but with any sanctioned event, lots of time effort and long drives can be involved.
and I for one take my shooting very seriously. 
I do believe this is why an attempt at electronic scoring was made, "the Orion" - but it isn't without controversy as well. Because any device can be programmed for an outcome -also a machine Cannot replace a couple of sets of human eyes --
But a display of all the cards after a match should also be in the mix i.e. An inspection - and then a protest period. I've heard of one big event that doesn't allow this -and also charges for the protest? And all scoring is done away from the public eye,and basically you have to take their word for the outcomes?i think the governing body needs to address some of these issues---
I do believe that eyes on target is the best means of scoring,and to have two people look at the cards is probably the best possible way to go at it. 
CK
1. Electronic scoring is nice for large events run by big clubs with money, like a national match. So far, my experience here in Florida is small matches, and it's not worth the effort. Hand scoring is just as accurate. I've done it for years in bullseye shooting and it's second nature to me. Once the MD makes the final decision, no more discussion should be allowed. This works.
2. Protests? Sure, a shooter can protest his score. Charging a fee for a protest is always done, even if it's a buck or 5. Keeps the game honest and the riff-raff out.
3. I travel maybe up to 200 miles to matches if they are well run. My usual travels are up to Yulee (200 miles) to the North Florida Shooters or Arcadia to shoot FT and BR at the DeSoto airgunners (100 miles). I find that competition is more fun than shooting by yourself. I would even travel further and take my motorhome and make it a mini vacaction if it's a good match.

"Coldking"
I enjoy competing and hope upon my retirement to purchase a motor home. Travel the circuit to sanctioned events across the fruited plane---
as to the scoring and other factors -would let people in the control and command decide -- 
It's above my pay Grade ;-) 
'look forward to the next Florida event 
and hope to see you there, Paul.
'CK
Summer BR matches start in May thru Sept at the DeSoto airgun club in Arcadia. Right now, its informal and not sanctioned, but fun anyway. Concrete benches, Frank.