• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

WRABF…..ERABSF…..USARB 25 meterTarget post 11/30/15

"CampFussell"Well, I finally made it to the 240 club three times in a row.
After several feeble attempts this morning in the wind and scores in the low 230's. I waited till later in the evening for the wind to die down.
Also I was trying a new grip on the earlier targets by barely touching the rifle and only squeezing the trigger with my thumb behind the grip for leverage. I went back to my regular grip for my last 3 targets.
I shot a 247 with 8 x's on the first one, and then dropped to a 244 with 5 x's, followed by a 241 with only 3 x's

Number 2 does look questionable, but the scoring gauge did touch the ten ring when inserted into the hole

That's some great Shooting JImmy....looks like the cricket is treating you well! Pretty soon we'll be seeing your name all over the leader boards!
Keep up the fine Shooting
Peace and Bullseye Grease
Mike

"strikefast"Jimmy, I believe if we talk to Jim Stanis, Mike Manabe and other top tier competitors we would get the same answers. Jim told me he takes as much of himself out if holding the gun as possible.

Also most of the guns have wide and heavy fore arms to for stability. Did you use the new front rest to shoot yesterday?
When I am shooting a match, I would say that my grip is firm enough to hold a live bird without harming it. I find that when I grip the rifle too hard, my hand will twitch a little throwing off my aim.
I feel that one should learn how to shoot with what is comfortable...then take a look at some of the better shooters and see how they differ from your shooting style and incorporate it into their own style...Light trigger or Heavy Trigger....A light hold or a firm grip...opening both eyes, or keeping one eye closed....using or not using a cheek meld to the stock. 
Many of the top shooters do things in the same manner with just slight variations that make up their own style.
Try shooting a card differently that you would normally and see if there is a significant difference in the results....you may need to change something in your set-up.
Mike Manabe

Reactions: cubo
"Coldking"I've noticed that not having any contact with the rifle is difficult - I've been trying the eyes on- only and have noticed that when I place my cheek ever so slightly on the cheek rest,the scores improve -- 
i can't wait to try the Thomas to see if not having a cheek piece is a help or hindrance --
i also note that it is easier for me to gain sight picture acquisition when my cheek makes contact with the cheek piece
i don't use or make contact with the buttstock -
also for me, a good smooth lite 2 stage trigger makes a big difference - break around 2 ounces 

note on target 21 - some staining - an unfortunate reptile ;-)
also another shot caused the wood backing to protrude through the hole? 
didn't really have much time through the holidaze to shoot-
CK
Great shooting CK....Can't wait to see how much you can improve with the new Thomas Rifle!! It will be a whole different style of shooting.
Peace and "NO Cheek Piece" grease
Mike

Mike
Good to see you back on here. I'm guessing your work load will get back to normal now that Christmas is past?
Thanks for the rifle hold advice. I'm light years ahead of the way I shot a couple years ago, heck even a year ago. Now if I can just get fine tune everything to make it even better. Doubt I can compete with you and CK , but it would nice to ride your coat tails ;-)

This wet windy weather doesn't want to cooperate with me this week.

Happy New Year and chicken grease
Fuss

Flattery will get you everywhere 😁
Thanks!! 
I'm sure your glad that the Season for shipping is over,Mike? 
Im glad the holidaze are over as well. Worked Christmas Eve night and Christmas Day - then through the weekend --
I'm hoping to get that Thomas soon - need to get used to shooting it,before the end of Janurary - 
And really looking forward to that match 
I think Jimmy is on his way to becoming a major competitor -
and those Scores prove it!
im hoping to squeeze in another card this week. But a friend of mine wants to go to my gun club and shoot .45acps 
i can't seem to get him into the air rifle thing?? Guess it's just something in our Blood?? 
Bourbon whiskey😜
Peace and steady hand Grease
CK

It's going to be a completely different shooting experience for you when you shoot the Thomas. This is be your first rifle that doesn't have an area to rest your face. All you have is that slender rifle,with a very thin riffle butt. A minimalist's airgun. But Man do they shoot so sweetly!!
Can't wait til you get another fantastic air rifle!! Especially this hot Thomas Machine burning up the bench rest scores on both coasts.
Have a Happy New Year too CK

From the USARB site 
  • Pellets that touch the bullseye are scored as a 10 and pellets that “obliterate” the bullseye are scored as a “X”. A perfect score would be 250-25X.
I guess they don't expect any 9's cause the site doesn't' mention that. If a pellets edge touches or goes outside the second circle is that a 9?

Excuse the newbie question.