Wow! Just read this, One-Hundred million feral and outdoor cats kill over

When you live in town and there are not many predators to take out cats they can grow in population pretty quick. Hawks like squirrel and bird feeders better than watching for a kitten hanging out in the open. Not much in stray dogs or coyotes around here. When I see people pouring bags of food in their driveway to feed the poor stray cats, I just want to slap them. One older single neighbor was putting out food and a small bed for them. Now he regrets it because he has more than he cared for. Found a cat in my screened in back porch just posting up in my dogs bed. I think it peed in her dog house also. Would have let her have it if not for her hurting her front ankle on a walk.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
When you live in town and there are not many predators to take out cats they can grow in population pretty quick. Hawks like squirrel and bird feeders better than watching for a kitten hanging out in the open. Not much in stray dogs or coyotes around here. When I see people pouring bags of food in their driveway to feed the poor stray cats, I just want to slap them. One older single neighbor was putting out food and a small bed for them. Now he regrets it because he has more than he cared for. Found a cat in my screened in back porch just posting up in my dogs bed. I think it peed in her dog house also. Would have let her have it if not for her hurting her front ankle on a walk.
I saw a article awhile back about coyotes in Atlanta teaching carless kitty owners a lesson. Ferals are a lot smarter so they probably don't have as much success with them.

There was a video floating around of a coyote grabbing a toddler on a beach while the mom filmed the ocen with her phone. Took her a few minutes to even realise it was happening. I think that was in a pretty congested area of California.

Our lazy animal control guy doesn't help with the problem around here so we are forced to deal with it ourselves. I get tired of stepping on stinky cat crap in my front yard when I mow. My dog is fenced in and is so spoiled, I could leave the gate open and she wouldn't leave. Have had to catch the neighbor's dogs for them when they get loose and I am the jerk with my responses when they come back to get them. Just be a respectful neighbor is all I ask.

The only feral creatures I know are people: politicians, "businessmen", anybody without an ounce of respect for any life other then theirs.
Cats I can respect, some people not so much.
I can appreciate your perspective, but I think, maybe, you don't fully appreciate the problem presented by feral cats. As you, there are people whom I respect less than the average cat. Among them are the people who release unwanted cats and dogs without regard to either the potential damage these (wild) animals perpetrate, or the sad life to which they condemn these animals.
I think that folks who need to protect their pets or farm animals have the right to take all appropriate actions. There is no good ending for animals released in the wild. People should know better.

I can appreciate your perspective, but I think, maybe, you don't fully appreciate the problem presented by feral cats. As you, there are people whom I respect less than the average cat. Among them are the people who release unwanted cats and dogs without regard to either the potential damage these (wild) animals perpetrate, or the sad life to which they condemn these animals.
I think that folks who need to protect their pets or farm animals have the right to take all appropriate actions. There is no good ending for animals released in the wild. People should know better.
I agree with you.
Irresponsible pet owners are the main cause of the various pets roaming the land.
But killing the unwanted pets is not a good choice either.
The pet owners who release their pets should be held responsible.
I have pets and once you have a pet you are responsible for it.

My previous comment of dealing with a feral isn't because I'm a cat hater, I actually have a cat and she's almost 20. I take well care of her, and I also never let her outside unsupervised. She doesn't even make it to the fence before she's called back.

Irresponsible pet owners started the problem but at this point its generational. That's like saying go back and blame the British or French for bringing rats to America on their boats. Or releasing English sparrows here. At this point, the problems needs to be dealt with and if it's not on a national level so be it. I can keep my neck of the woods under control and I feel everyone should be allowed to do so. Problem with that is people will just start killing everything, including little Lucy's kitten from down the street.

Boy does this strike a nerve... Not against the cat...an animal does what it does to survive.. like we all would do if we had to.
I live in a rural area.. on a farm and people love to throw out their unwanted pets (mainly cats) I very much dislike dealing with this as it is not the animals fault.. but they take out everything from rabbits, quail to my chicks or even a small bantam chicken. So I deal with dispatching them.. hopefully...one of these days I will catch one or two of these idiots tossing out their unwanted pet... I can guarantee someone will never forget the lesson they will learn from me..

Everything has its place in life and all animals should be in balance with nature.
Overpopulation of a kind causes problems, too few of a kind causes other problems.

Absolutely !...and we also have an overpopulation of humans creating huge problems, but we never look at ourselves.

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 2.20.54 PM.jpg

I have a few cats that roam my area and I know they are house cats that are allowed out. One, however, is definitely feral and is always eyeing my hens. I've scared it off a few times and now I noticed it's pregnant.

The neighbor feeds all the cats so this one hangs around. One of the other neighbor's cats knocked it up I'm sure. So there will be a batch of kittens somewhere learning to hunt like mom does. If I was 100% certain it wad truly feral, it would get a 25 hades in the head no questions asked.

None of the neighbor claim it either but here it is, always watching my hens. It's eventually going to get in there and kill one or more. Animal control is almost worthless. Our division is a couple young multi colored hair limp wristed girls and a heavy set older lady that barely gets around.

Wonder if anyone would notice...

I rescue barn cats after an organization sterilizes them as I have the facilities to support them. All of the cats that have ever been through here are terrified of my chickens, none of them are roosters. The dogs are scared of the cats, which means the chickens are at the top of the pecking order.

I rescue barn cats after an organization sterilizes them as I have the facilities to support them. All of the cats that have ever been through here are terrified of my chickens, none of them are roosters. The dogs are scared of the cats, which means the chickens are at the top of the pecking order.
Just like in Looney Tunes :)

hunted on a farm in southwest missouri, a dairy farm. the owners were a real cat lovers. at one time i counted 90 cats at the barn wanting milk. the cats would wonder off and go feral. the owner (husband) told me to shoot them when i see them away from the dairy. Didn't shoot any the first year and noticed the turkey population nosedive by 50%. next couple of years i got pretty rough on the cats and the turkey population returned to normal. i like cats just not wild catc.