Wow! Just read this, One-Hundred million feral and outdoor cats kill over

We have a kitten that my wife rescued when it was 24 hours old. It has never seen or been exposed to another cat but I can tell you this little gal is one heck of a hunter at 8 months old. We only allow her outside with supervision but this is hard coded into her DNA and it's not something you can train out of her.
Exactly. It's said that a cat will adapt to the wild and survive where as domesticated dogs will usually starve to death if not in an urban setting.

Also, you're doing it right. You supervise your cat vs just letting old tiger out to roan and have fun. I can't stand owners who do this with either cats or dogs. Why is it that people just go "oh, there's a little kitty walking around no biggie" but if it's a dog they immediately think it's going to eat a child. Feral cats are way more destructive of the eco system than packs of dogs.

Everything has its place in life and all animals should be in balance with nature.
Overpopulation of a kind causes problems, too few of a kind causes other problems.

We have what I'd consider a normal bird, tree squirrel, rabbit, coyote, bobcat, etc, population, and we enjoy having them around.

But I don't like mice, packrats, ground squirrels, moles, etc, causing the problems they do on my property so we have one semi feral cat that is "spayed". My daughter has inside cats that are spayed.

I've put down cats and I've spared some too. I don't hate cats, like dogs more, but I won't hesitate shooting a dog or any animal if it causes harm to what needs protecting at my place. So far coyotes have done the most damage so POP/that sound - ulation control happens.

Do what it takes.

One billion birds a year! Cats are natural-born killers. Australia has a terrible problem with feral cats.
The best advice that this ABC site said was to keep your cats indoors....
This leads to this thought= wow and I thought we were a problem.
Actually, those numbers are hard to believe, aren't they?
How many birds are there? Think about this, how many eggs does a bird lay and how many reach adulthood, compare that to how many kittens a cat has and how many reach adulthood, and think about this.... how many of "us" actually reach adulthood?:eek:

:sneaky:
Adulthood ? what exactly is adulthood , my wife said i will never reach that no matter how long i live .

Last year I noticed a water snake up in my bluebird house looking for eggs or chicks. I noticed because the parents were going crazy. So my little Prod put a hole in the snake. It suddenly decided it needed to retreat and during that journey it got a few more pellets. I have cats wander through the yard and they don't seem to have collars. But I also have mice in my crawl space and yard and if the cats want those they can have them. My dog has killed a few. My dog desparately wants to chase the cats but I have kept her away. She is 40 lbs and would win but might need stiches when it was over. I don't need the bill. But if I catch a cat going for a birds nest it will probably get the same treatment as the snake.