• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wow! Just read this, One-Hundred million feral and outdoor cats kill over

The Truth is not in Balance,to think things get in Balance is naive. Natural laws of Nature,LOL,That is a good one,It used to work maybe 200 years ago.
Education is properly the best way to help .
Believe me, properly 80% of people do not care or never thought of the problem feral animals can cause.
I did not mind cats , always thinking they killed mice and rats and a few birds, but now I see them as a big problem, they properly go and break eggs and kill baby anything, Cats like to play with little animals,I watch them treat other animals like play toys, it is born into them.
In Australia, they have fences hundreds if not thousands of miles long to keep cats from killing what few birds they still have.They even cat- roundups.
Cats have always been able to be sly, another truth...if they were really ugly creatures would we afford them the opportunity to be such natural-born killers?
Killing cats can be a real Taboo, Humans are a funny animals,judge so much by looks and listen to what they want to hear and think let Nature take its course...when all along humans created a new nature!
Let Nature take its course, sometimes it does and we see the outcome, and man seems to make things worse by Not letting Nature take her course we should have....at least thought about Her.....Nature can be a Bitch ,we should never forget that and try our best to stay in harmony with Her.
Sorry, I do not mean to insult anybody and I preached.

A woman in New Zealand came up with a novel solution th their feral cat problem:
0586145F-CC34-454A-BB08-E2C36582F9F8.png

Last edited:
As mentioned before, education and changing people's perceptions is the only way this will have a chance to be solved.
Ugly slimy pythons, no problem. Evil looking tiny dinosaurs, iguanas, get rid of them.
Dirty, smelly and probably dangerous wild pigs, by all means kill em all.
Cute Bambi eating all the flowers in my urban yard? Running out in front of my Buick risking human lives? There must be another way!
Fluffy? Now, we have a problem.
Difficult and emotional situation.
Doc

Reactions: shausen
I like Cats. Especially our Russian Blue LOKI. Yes he is a rascal and does catch lizards, moles, rats and brings them into the house for a present for us. Grin!! I have seen him jump 8 plus feet into the air and snag a bird with one paw.

On this forum another post speaks of the fact the shooter of animals can no longer find any so called pests to shoot. All the pests and furry animals have been wiped out not by cats but by a human. Over the years this has happened where I live. We used to have lots of squirrels, rabbits and all kinds of birds, quail, doves, etc, etc, however all the neighborhood kids and even some adults have hunted the animal population to extinction. There will be no recovery as more people build more houses and take their turn contributing to the extinction.

I used to like to hunt, problem is in our modern world is that there is nothing left to hunt at least in our area in South Carolina. Take a visit to one of the many Wildlife Management Areas, or pubic national forest open to hunting and there is nothing left to hunt. Simply too many people have created the extinction factor. Any and all hunting that is left can only be found on privately managed land that is purchased, rented or managed by hunting clubs for the specific goal of hunting. Cats had nothing to do with this, Humans created this situation.

I love to go fishing, and I have watched the sport of fishing also decline drastically. On any given day at one of the lakes sometimes it is take a number just to get a boat in the water. Large and plentiful fish that used to be common are now extinct. In their place are smaller and smaller fish, and less and less fish and more and more people. I am not sure this year if I will even get the boat ready, is it even worth the crowds and sea of humanity for a 10 inch
bass or 7 inch Bluegill? I have been debating this with myself for a week, do I really wish to tolerate the crowd, or just shoot my air rifles more. I have plenty of targets and they are not extinct.

Yes humans are the ultimate predator, from small furry animals to so called pest shooting of birds to other recourses of our planet. I have watched and had a front row seat to the extinction of animals, birds and fish and Cats had nothing to do with it. This was all accomplished by humans.

Cheers
Kit

I agree with most of what you have said.I am mainly affected by the lack of big fish, fishing has been bad for years on the coast and Delta of Northern Ca.
I also like cats,"as pets"but to say feral cats or any other feral animal is not such a problem is misleading,It may not be a problem in many places people live, but overall it is a big problem for birds and other animals.
Agreed we people can be a big problem.If we think we may be the problem we should rethink what we can do to help get rid of the problem or do our part to "restore" the balance of Nature.
Why is there so many feral cats and other animals; Animals only do what animals do, what do we do to help. Just getting the word out is a help.
Killing for fun is so immature, sometimes we have good excuses for it, and sometimes we can say "so-what".Sometimes any of us can become immature because it is fun., for some of us,it is innate, just like cats.
Maybe I am jealous of cats;)

This is a tough problem that has no easy solution. Fluffy is a 600-pound Serengeti killer trapped in a 2-pound body. 30 thousand years of hunter\killer DNA hard wired in, and just looking for prey.
Birds are the least of it. Juvenile squirrels, newborn rabbits and almost anything else that moves and catches their eye.
I have consulted with numerous local towns on this problem and possible solutions. When you say stray cats, every kindhearted person visualizes a poor lost fluffy who just needs a loving home or a new place to live.
Everything from trapping and neutering, paid for with donations, to hired shooters, has been suggested and\or tried. Even chemical castration in foodstuff scattered around frequented areas.
Nothing really works until you can educate the general population. Good luck with that.
Cheers
Doc
It's like trying to educate people that those red signs that say STOP actually mean it.

Maybe we should just have Family Planning centers for cats.
There all, it's called FX. I've had cats, LOTS of cats, had one male that was a serious ratter, kept the neighborhood clear. Good kitty. Only time I saw it kill a bird was a Jay that was attacking it, he was very patient for DAYS then finally had enough.

The Truth is not in Balance,to think things get in Balance is naive. Natural laws of Nature,LOL,That is a good one,It used to work maybe 200 years ago.
Education is properly the best way to help .
Believe me, properly 80% of people do not care or never thought of the problem feral animals can cause.
I did not mind cats , always thinking they killed mice and rats and a few birds, but now I see them as a big problem, they properly go and break eggs and kill baby anything, Cats like to play with little animals,I watch them treat other animals like play toys, it is born into them.
In Australia, they have fences hundreds if not thousands of miles long to keep cats from killing what few birds they still have.They even cat- roundups.
Cats have always been able to be sly, another truth...if they were really ugly creatures would we afford them the opportunity to be such natural-born killers?
Killing cats can be a real Taboo, Humans are a funny animals,judge so much by looks and listen to what they want to hear and think let Nature take its course...when all along humans created a new nature!
Let Nature take its course, sometimes it does and we see the outcome, and man seems to make things worse by Not letting Nature take her course we should have....at least thought about Her.....Nature can be a Bitch ,we should never forget that and try our best to stay in harmony with Her.
Sorry, I do not mean to insult anybody and I preached.
Things most certainly do balance. The only reason we are all still here. We as people play a key role as well as nature. I think it’s part of our purpose here in being able to have such a high level of cognitive thinking. Of course many things keep us in check as well. Disease, natural disasters, wars, car wrecks etc etc. There are always factors that limit the number of fish in the pond so to speak.

When the wife and I first moved out here to BFE, I caught a number of people dumping animals, mostly cats loose. I once found a feral cat who had given birth to 8 kittens inside my barn. The babies eyes weren't even open yet and the mama cat run away. I gathered up the babies and took them to an animal shelter about 20 miles away. They charged me $7 each! I won't make that mistake again.