Wouldn't you know it. Update

Yep, neighbors suck. Maybe I need to get some tattoos, grow my hair out and buy a bike.

People have certainly changed. I believe it has a lot to do with confrontational anonymity and they have no clue how to handle (seemingly) difficult face to face conversations. A lot of younger generation have never asked a girl out on a date face to face. That's unbelievable to me! It's going to be a weird world where people do all their "communicating" without seeing one another. And yes, I see the irony of this statement, while discussing it on an online forum.

NMshooter, I understand your not wanting to make waves but I feel that is not the attitude to take. That's the problem with this country, no one will stand up for what they believe in. I'm not the gun toting, in your face type. I just feel if you are within the law and you believe in your lifestyle, stand up for it. We have become a nation of "pollitically correct gagged people" . I used to walk through the city as a kid with a 22, open and unloaded, to a wooded area to shoot all day. Now if you do that, the SWAT team will be called and you most likely will be arrested at the least or shot at the worst. This nation has become so anti gun it's unreal. How have times have changed.

Reactions: ajshoots
Jamie,
I actually agree with you, however, I have found it doesn't help to reason with irrational people. If you have seen my posts, I am not afraid to speak my mind. My point was that, I will tolerater their "moment" of inconvience and let them move on. If I attempt to "set them straight", I could spend all day dealing with their crap. The other problem I was dealing with was the law stated I could not shoot a projectile in the entire county. Their complaints could have cost me in fines and possibly loss of my rifle. Although this is a bogus law, the police told me they would have to enforce it if people complained. My point was not to hide in shame but not to go out of your way to invite a conflict if you can help it! 

You would have thought that the police might have checked if it was legal or not before showing up and wasting time that should have been spent on something that was actually illegal. 

If someone called the police and reported that you were eating an apple, they would have told them that it wasn't a crime. They wouldn't have shown up at your door to tell you about the complaint. Legally, you shooting a "bb gun" was no different. Having the cops show up at your door is alarming even if you did nothing wrong. 

As others have suggested I would go talk to them (if this suggestion is not too late) and explain what you are doing. I might even suggest you invite them over to shoot one of your air guns. A friend has always said the quickest to make an anti gunner change is to let them shoot a gun with little recoil at an action target, NOT paper.

NOTHING to do with your Air Rifle shooting but be sure to keep all including registrar of deeds know the fence is offset from property line as in many states after so many years it could become the "official" property line.

I have since moved from that place and have a shooting range in my new back yard. I did exactly that and informed my neighbors on both sides and neither had any problem. However, if there is a complaint, I would be shut down and would have to shoot at a range 20 miles away. The "desert" in the two central counties of New Mexico is unlawful to shoot a "projectile", however, it is obvious by shell casings that few abide by this bogus law. We are one of the largest land mass states with the fewest people in the country. It is obvious that the Anti's are in control here. The director from Bosque del Apache is even afraid to advertise and promote a youth turkey hunt because of all the backlash from all the anti's here.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread Billy

"Bluestone"This sort of complaint is an everyday occurrence here in UK. But in the US! What the heck is happening ?
People have neighbors that complain in every country. Sometimes they are generally problem neighbors who harass everyone that lives near them. Sometimes they have a legitimate fear. 

It might be something easily solved. Perhaps they have young kids and are worried for their safety when playing in their garden. Explaining to them that you never shoot in their direction might solve the issue. 

If the complaint is from irrational neighbors who can't be reasoned with then there is probably no point in trying. When I lived in Manhattan, the neighbors below always complained that they could hear me walking in my apartment. I was never going to be able to promise them that I would stop walking on my floor. The only thing that stopped the complaints was when I starting raising more complaints about them to show them how annoying it was. 

(billydjann,
Out of curiosity, where do you live?}

I live in NY state...... near Corning NY

It seems I am accepted now. (or tolerated) not sure.which for sure..(some do not know I drop squirrels in back during hunting season) 
Pest like red squirrels and starlings are dropped very often but only a few people know this.... The ones that do know are very appreciative and often ask
to keep it up.... they like the idea of so many pest not being around.....

I live in NY state too. I'm in Westchester. I'm more of a seek forgiveness than permission kind of guy.

I don't like the idea of giving somebody the opportunity to object to something they didn't even know about. I buy quiet air rifles so I don't need to worry about disturbing anyone. In my experience, noise will make neighbors complain before anything else. People don't like to be disturbed. 

I have a good relationship with my closest neighbors. They asked me to keep the noise down once when I was using power tools late at night. They have never mentioned hearing any air gun shooting so I assume they have no idea.

I never openly shoot in my garden so people could see either. From a distance, all they would see is a "man with a gun". It's best to shoot from an open window into the garden like snipers do in the movies. Even if they heard the sound and looked out of their window, they wouldn't see where it came from. 

I had an incident with neighbor behind me a few years ago when one of my pellets flew into his back yard. I heard a 'Hey, watch where your shooting that thing'. I put my rifle away, walked through a path in the woods and talked to him. Turns out my misses had been doing the same before that but he didn't want be a jerk and confront me. After talking a bit about shooting I learned he was a hunter and often practiced with a pellet gun in his yard as well. I told him the hours I would usualy be practicing, that no more errent shots would come his way and to just make some noise or holler over if he was out there and I would stop shooting.

We didn't become friends or shooting buddies but it has led me to use a target backer, and when not shooting paper make sure as hell I hit the target face if not the kill zone on my knockdown targets.
My range is 55yd, with a 20yd buffer to his property line. Woods from 20-75yd. As for the neighbors on either side I've never had a complaint, even when setting setting off fireworks at a reasonable hour.

That's why I always aim down so I would only hit the ground if I miss. With my luck, I could probably kill a man with an airsoft gun at a 1000 yards by accident.

I think it is fair enough if people complain about pellets going onto their property. As a shooter, I wouldn't be comfortable with my neighbors shooting onto my property. I get nervous when the neighbors kids throw a soft ball around near my car....